Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 08:28 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I wouldn't go anywhere in Mexico and Central America in summer; it's much too hot. Better to plan a winter vacation. However, since your schedule already seems set, you could probably get to Quito, Ecuador, on $800 or less. The highlands are the same 70 degrees year-round. You can visit Indian markets, old colonial cities, and sights around the capital, including the "Center of the World" marker right on the equator. You can also arrange for a week of intensive Spanish lessons in the Indian market town of Otovalo, if you want: one-on-one instruction. You also have the option of arranging for Quechua lessons there, as well.

There's an ecological park on the Pacific side of the mountains in a cloud forest that would be worth a visit for a few days. You could also take a bus to the Amazon frontier town of Puyo, to get a taste of Amazonia.
If you go to Ecuador, Cuenca (the 3rd largest city) is also a great place to visit with its cobble-stoned streets and an old city feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 10:24 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,247,887 times
Miami, airfare is cheaper

Old 01-02-2015, 08:29 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
$800 will get you all the way to Brazil, if you pick the right dates and days of the week to depart/return (Tuesdays). Ok, I know you are looking to practice Spanish so you can do Brazil another time.

You've already been given some good ideas. Colombia or Buenos Aires are excellent choices in my opinion.
Where are you finding $800 deals to Brazil? I have rarely seen such a cheap deal, and I am always looking. You must be flying out of Miami.

Please let me know- I would go more often if it didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
Thanks. These are really good suggestions. I've been looking at prices via Kayak and Buenos Aires seems to be around the same price as the other cities you've mentioned. Is the summer time the off season down there since it's transitioning into winter?

As someone who only has a basic understanding of Spanish, wouldn't going to Chile make it more difficult to learn because of the accent and dialects?

Why? Wouldn't Miami or Los Angelos be better destinations if I wanted to stay domestic and be around a lot of speakers?
If you are finding such cheap deals to BsAs, don't think twice and take it! I'm not sure why, as far as I know it is still summer down there.

All Latin America countries have accents, dialects, etc...the people I found the hardest to understand were Spaniards. I am a native Spanish speaker and it took me 3 days to understand them. lol

Old 01-02-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
Having traveled to many cities in Mexico I would recommend Queretaro or Guanajato. Mexico city is too overwhelming for a first timer and Guadalajara is just not that nice, the historic downtown is underwhelming. Queretaro is extremely safe and the historic downtown is gorgeous, also lots of cultural options as well.

Also Puerto Rico is nice, it's part of the United States but very much a Latin American country
I have heard great things about Queretaro. Another Mexican gem I had forgotten about is Zacatecas- very clean, colonial beautiful city. They have this really cool club made in a place that was previously a mine:

[URL="http://www.zonaturistica.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/bares_originales_gal2.jpg"]http://www.zonaturistica.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/bares_originales_gal2.jpg[/URL]

[url]https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4099/4861055755_2b149811a1_z.jpg[/url]

And this hotel made out of a previous bullring:

[URL="http://www.quintareal.com/libraries/uploaded/template/images/zacatecas/zac02.jpg"]http://www.quintareal.com/libraries/uploaded/template/images/zacatecas/zac02.jpg[/URL]

Old 01-03-2015, 11:37 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
I'm not sure why, as far as I know it is still summer down there.
are you serious?

Old 01-04-2015, 01:50 AM

10,094 posts, read 14,965,663 times
Quote:
All Latin America countries have accents, dialects, etc...the people I found the hardest to understand were Spaniards. I am a native Spanish speaker and it took me 3 days to understand them. lol
I think Chileans almost speak another language, it's that bad.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:53 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,667 times
Quote:
Where are you finding $800 deals to Brazil? I have rarely seen such a cheap deal, and I am always looking. You must be flying out of Miami.

Please let me know- I would go more often if it didn't cost an arm and a leg.
Nope. I flew from Los Angeles to Rio de Janeiro for $800 round trip. The flight did go through Miami. The key was I left on a Tuesday and returned on a Tuesday (one week). You lose a day going each way, given the time difference. This was last fall.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:10 AM

471 posts, read 621,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
So I'm in the process of planning a trip for the summer and I would really like to visit somewhere in Latin America. I have a list of countries that I would be interested in, but I want to hear from you those who have been to several countries first. My Spanish isn't very good and I'm looking for a place that is safe(with street smarts), walkable, and isn't too expensive(>$800) to fly to. I would like to be somewhere that is patient so I can improve my Spanish since I really love the language. I don't really care about doing touristy things. My alternative location is Spain if I happen to find a cheap flight.
Buenos Aires

Old 01-05-2015, 08:45 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,247,887 times
I find Venezuelans and Dominicans to be most difficult to understand ( their spanish ) very clipped spanish.
Also Spain as well, they have a very formal spanish and use alot of "vosotros" at least when I speak to them over the phone they do LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas