Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 02:50 PM

10,625 posts, read 15,947,857 times

Advertisements

Give me Costa Rica.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 03:10 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,155,175 times
Since you say you don't really want to live in a big city, I would also put a vote in for Boquete, Panama. A town of around 20,000 or so in the highlands of Panama, the weather is cooler and less humid than the Panamanian coasts. It has a fairly large ex-pat/retirement community and it has fewer of the hassles of a big city, and it's not as far away from the US (if you need to get back here) as Chile.

Boquete, Chiriquí - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Boquete, Panama - Lonely Planet

Old 01-15-2015, 03:30 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,234,199 times
I didn't meet as many ex-pats in Chile as I have in Argentina. A good portion of them are here because their on the lam from the IRS.
However, I can't confirm but I heard their was "1" or "2" ex-pat communities in southern Chile, and I even heard they had their won representation in the local gov't. Is that true? Can anyone confirm that?

Old 01-15-2015, 03:49 PM

491 posts, read 749,787 times
Hey there!

One question; what kind of volunteer job are you thinking about? Is the organization going to help with temporary work visa? I had to show work contract and expected income for the authorities to ussue work visa. You might be able to take trips to Mendoza, Argentina to extend the tourist visa.

Also, please understand Chile is not a cheap place to live in. You will need income or have a small fortune saved up before leaving.

From OSAC:
https://www.osac.gov/pages/ContentRe...aspx?cid=16122

Quote:
Overall Crime and Safety Situation

Crime Threats

The security environment is generally safe, and there is comparatively less serious violent crime experienced in Chile than in other Latin American countries. Pickpocketing, telephonic scams, vehicular theft, and residential burglaries are far more common than violent crimes like express kidnappings, kidnapping for ransom, and random shootings, which rarely occur.
Please read on for the crime situation in Chile. Also do the same for CR.
good luck!

Old 01-15-2015, 04:43 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,357,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
If I may ask your reasons for wanting to uproot your entire family to come to latin america? Are you missionaries?
Essentially, yes. But we work secularly and won't be financially sponsored by our congregation, and where we go is totally up to us. I've been trying to keep it non-religious, but this is what I was hinting at when I mentioned wanting to be able to meet different sorts of people, running the full racial and financial spectrum. We will probably start off in an English congregation at first, which are available in Vina and Santiago, among other places, and several pleas in CR. At some point I will be corresponding with them but for now I'm just trying to get my head wrapped around where me might want to hunk about as a goal.

Quote:
...Let's not romanticize things and talk about some hard realities here, you're planning on uprooting your entire family and moving to a new country, new culture language etc....this is MAJOR
I agree. This is something we've been planning and saving for since long before we had children, not a romantic whim. I can totally appreciate your concern though, because I share it.

Quote:
It's important you have a realistic viewpoint of what life in another country is like. It's great and full of blessings but it's no walk in the park nor a bed of roses....and you have little children to think about. Assimilate as much as you can and keep a low profile, you'll most likely be ok, but it's going to stretch you..
Again, I agree with you. Before I address any of the other specifics you brought out (which were all good), I should remind you that all we're specifically planning for right now is a one month visit in about a year (~ Jan-Apr 2016). It will partly be vacation, but the main reason is to immerse ourselves temporarily in the work we would be doing if we moved. It's also an opportunity to get to know the local friends, meet the people, and find out everything else we can about certain areas and the country as a whole. We can get a lot more specifics while we're there. I am trying to target someplace that would be a good candidate for a possible move someday, but the actual move won't happen for many years from now, if at all (I need to raise my kids and save $$$ first). We can always take another vacation if the first place doesn't work out, but every dime I spend on scouting trips is that much less I'll have for the move, so we're trying to be as diligent as possible in our planning. Who knows, we could just end up in Kansas again for all I know (which is fine), or I could get sick or injured... but we're not focusing on any of that as a goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
what kind of volunteer job are you thinking about? Is the organization going to help with temporary work visa? I had to show work contract and expected income for the authorities to ussue work visa. You might be able to take trips to Mendoza, Argentina to extend the tourist visa.
The plan is to be essentially retired by then, using some subsidiary income we have here to make up the difference. We plan on carrying our own health insurance funds and whatever else we can to assure them that we won't be a burden on their social services. These are all things I hope to learn a lot more about in the months to come and especially on our initial trip. Thanks for the link to the safety info, that is helpful.

Last edited by otterprods; 01-15-2015 at 04:57 PM..

Old 01-15-2015, 05:41 PM

29,958 posts, read 18,789,875 times
Quote:
If I may ask your reasons for wanting to uproot your entire family to come to latin america? Are you missionaries? I lived in Santiago de Chile for about a year and still have alot of friends there. Let's not romanticize things and talk about some hard realities here, you're planning on uprooting your entire family and moving to a new country, new culture language etc....this is MAJOR!

Viña in Chile is a sea port town, it's beautiful and it's right on the coast. It's a very tourist oriented and it's also very expensive by Chilean standards. Alot of wealthy Santiagueños live there or have weekend/summer homes there. You need to understand: I don't know if you're planning on having a car, if so that's great, but generally traveling in latin-america is alot less convenient, even if you have a car ESPECIALLY if you don't. The main highway that runs the length of Chile from about Antofogasta/Iqique is VERY well maintained and paved but distances are long, especially north of Santiago. Living in even some mid-sized Chilean towns you're going to have to possibly do without alot of amenities that you might be used to in the US. Not so much in Santiago but in any of the mid sized towns and definately in any small towns you will...for sure. In many of these very rural towns it's like stepping back in time...literally. The last time I checked, getting residency in Chile wasn't that easy, at least when I last looked into it, not like it was here in Argentina. You're not married to a Chilean so you need to look into that. It's gonna cost you some money and it's gonna take you some time. Things move alot slower down here.

Chilean Spanish is challenging. It's clipped and full of slang and nuances so you'll need to be VERY patient in catching on with the spanish if you don't already speak the language. It's probably not the best country to leanr spanish in ( although Chileans will disagree ) but upper-class Chileans will have a very neutral spanish and be easier to understand.

In general, all of latin america has a problem with higher insecurity and crime and Chile really isn't as much of an exception as some folks might like to believe it is. It's not Guatamala or Honduras but it's higher than what you're used to, without a doubt. You might as well understand that now before you go and I'm giving it to you straight from someone who's already lived in Santiago and Argentina for a long time. A young single man coming down here is one thing, but you have a family in tow, this is different. You're not talking about coming here for 7 days or even 2 months. You're talking about coming here to live in and amongst the folks in the every day. I don't know your economic status so I don't know what you'll do here for a living or where you'll be living. However, you need to be aware, this isn't the US, in general crime is higher and you need to be vigilant EVERYWHERE especially in any of the capital cities or 2nd and even 3rd size cities.

Latin americans are great folks, but they don't carry nor have an understanding of the typical "naivetee" and nuances of living that we are acustomed to or that comes with the average american or even many europeans. Here, folks are wittier, quicker, and they're more "survivalist" minded...I don't know another way to put it. They're used to having to be more assertive in general and much more confrontational, because society here is more so that way. So if you're naturally a polite, yet an assertive person, you'll catch on quick, if you're weak, passive or non-confrontational, you're going to have a hard time living here and you're going to get taken advantage of. I'm not blathering, this comes from "personal experience" and I've lived here in Chile and mostly Argentina for some years now, take my word for it, I mean this with all due respect.

You'll need to learn to be hyper vigilant here and more careful at all times, you need to watch your back, everywhere, take nowhere for granted anywhere in latin america. You don't need to be fearful ( unless you find yourself in the worng place at the wrong time ) but if you're not sure, ask the locals, they'll never let you down. Living here will change you, some for the better, some for the worst. I have the best and the worst of it since I've been down here and my wife and I have been through alot.

It's important you have a realistic viewpoint of what life in another country is like. It's great and full of blessings but it's no walk in the park nor a bed of roses....and you have little children to think about. Assimilate as much as you can and keep a low profile, you'll most likely be ok, but it's going to stretch you..
Good points but you don't think Las Condes (where I am right now) is safe...because it seems very safe and secure to me. I agree there are areas that you have to be vigilant really in any large city. Admittedly LC is on the expensive side but still significantly less than Seattle where I'm from.

One thing the OP has to worry about with small kids is education which is something I'm done with my kids but I've heard you pretty much have to put your kids in private school in Chile because the public schools suck.

One other thing is knowing or willing to learn Spanish is a must to live well here.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Good points but you don't think Las Condes (where I am right now) is safe...because it seems very safe and secure to me. I agree there are areas that you have to be vigilant really in any large city. Admittedly LC is on the expensive side but still significantly less than Seattle where I'm from.

One thing the OP has to worry about with small kids is education which is something I'm done with my kids but I've heard you pretty much have to put your kids in private school in Chile because the public schools suck.

One other thing is knowing or willing to learn Spanish is a must to live well here.
Yes, well you live in Los Condes which is one of the most wealthiest parts of Santiago and also Chile. There's alot of wealthy Chileans including many judges and politicians who live in that area. The average Chilean could only dream about living in Los Condes and spending money at Parque Arrauco.

You don't want to be caught walking in Nunoa on ave Irrarazaval or Ave Grecia in La Reina, barrio La Florida ( Near where i lived in a low income neighborhood with a very poor family ) at certain times....its a VERY different story. Maybe one day I'll write a long thread about my time living several months with a low income Chilean family in a poor Santiago neighborhood.....it was quite an experience. Ive had a heck of a time down here for sure! I know what the poor folks lived and go through, I lived it myself several months, and I know how bad the crime can get.

Did you ever get to see the big military parade over at "La Escuela Militar"? Thats something...impressive.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Buen punto. Tomé español en escuela y he hablado informalmente un poco en los últimos años. Mi esposa e hijos están tratando de aprender algo de ahora. Todos tenemos ganas de volver a esa parte.

Local dialects and indigenous languages will be harder to learn, but we think we can get at least the basics in time. Our children won't be in the public schools there.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:37 AM

Learning fluent spanish is everything, if one comes here without planning to learn fluent Spanish they shouldn't be here....sounds like at least your written spanish is ok.....how about your spoken spanish? Are you fluent and conversant?

I wouldn't use "tomar" as in " (Yo) tome español" I would use "estudiar" or "aprender" in stead of "tomar" ....in this context while folks will understand you if you usre the verb "tomar", it sounds weird. Even so, little nuances like this will be learned quickly, so it's a little thing, sounds like you have good enough spanish definately to get started.

Also here in the southern cone they don't say "español" as much it's more common to hear folks use "castellano" instead of "español" like they do in Mexico or CA. Even so a minor detail...

If you come to Chile, you need to purchase a little handheld dictionary called "Chillenismos" if it's still in print. Google it, it will come in handy in Chile. Chileans in reality, they speak "Chilean" to be quite honest. Chilean spanish in it's slangy form is one of the wackiest forms of spanish I've ever heard. However, since you'll be a foreigner, most folks in the beginning will speak neutral spanish with you. But, if you leqanr some slang, it'll be an ice breaker.

terms like "cachai" and "si po" "vamo po" and learning the different saludos "Hola que talca andamio como" "Como onda microoonda" "Que Container" "Que Michael Jackson"( jajajaj still makes me laugh ) all that stuff will be an ice breaker. They'll be impressed and thrilled that you know some of their slang!

The use weird slang with their money deminations:

1,000 pesos is called a "una luca" ( Argentina, Venezuela also )
5,000 pesos is called a "una lucrecia" ( I think? LOL
10,000 pesos is called "una gabriela"

Here's a good one here: http://www.mainframe.cl/diccionario/diccionario.php
and: http://muybueno.homestead.com/files/...e/chilenew.htm

Alot of chilean slang is very similar to Argentine slang, especially the old Lunfardo which is still in voge in chile.

The 1st year or two you'll really be banging your head against the wall with Chilean spanish. Have you ever heard a fast talkin Santiagueño" talk? Even my argentine wife has a hard time. I still have to really listen close on some sections, they have such a zany accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95RLVOnIerw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ8-in8qPs4

Last edited by EricOldTime; 01-16-2015 at 09:00 AM..

Old 01-16-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Learning fluent spanish is everything, if one comes here without planning to learn fluent Spanish they shouldn't be here....sounds like at least your written spanish is ok.....how about your spoken spanish? Are you fluent and conversant?

I wouldn't use "tomar" as in " (Yo) tome español" I would use "estudiar" or "aprender" in stead of "tomar" ....in this context while folks will understand you if you usre the verb "tomar", it sounds weird. Even so, little nuances like this will be learned quickly, so it's a little thing, sounds like you have good enough spanish definately to get started.

Also here in the southern cone they don't say "español" as much it's more common to hear folks use "castellano" instead of "español" like they do in Mexico or CA. Even so a minor detail...

If you come to Chile, you need to purchase a little handheld dictionary called "Chillenismos" if it's still in print. Google it, it will come in handy in Chile. Chileans in reality, they speak "Chilean" to be quite honest. Chilean spanish in it's slangy form is one of the wackiest forms of spanish I've ever heard. However, since you'll be a foreigner, most folks in the beginning will speak neutral spanish with you. But, if you leqanr some slang, it'll be an ice breaker.

terms like "cachai" and "si po" "vamo po" and learning the different saludos "Hola que talca andamio como" "Como onda microoonda" "Que Container" "Que Michael Jackson"( jajajaj still makes me laugh ) all that stuff will be an ice breaker. They'll be impressed and thrilled that you know some of their slang!

Alot of chilean slang is very similar to Argentine slang, especially the old Lunfardo which is still in voge in chile.

The 1st year or two you'll really be banging your head against the wall with Chilean spanish. Have you ever heard a fast talkin Santiagueño" talk? Even my argentine wife has a hard time. I still have to really listen close on some sections, they have such a zany accent.
Mi hablado español esta así así, pero no es genial. Tengo amigos de habla español que me ayudan. ¿Has visto el post anterior donde dije yo sólo estoy planeando una visita por ahora?

It's helps a lot just to be writing it again though, because I don't get nearly as many opportunities to practice my speech here in CO as I did in CA. So those are some good language points, which I will keep handy. I'lll definitely pick up that dictionary if/when I decide on Chile for sure. I've always struggled with correct grammar, especially in speaking, because it happens so fast. I usually only get to speak spanish with Mexicans, if at all anymore. However, I do have some Spanish friends as well and one friend from Costa Rica who have been encouraging. In rural Mexico, they speak really fast and with a thick accent, especially in the places I used to frequent in the Baja mountains and desert. It's hard to follow, but people always seem so charmed by the fact that I'm making the effort that they don't mind when I butcher things. It's amazing how far you can get with a respectful attitude and phrases like 'como se dice <english word> (or gestures/point)' and 'No entiendo <spanish word>'. Of course, Chilean spanish will be different and good mastery over it will be a challenge. My guess is that it's not a necessity at first but it's always good to learn and show that we're making an effort. How much spanish and/or chilean did you know when you moved there and how long did it take you to become fluent?

castellano ~ Castillian Spanish, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas