Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 11:54 AM

943 posts, read 1,199,058 times

Advertisements

My friend obtained economic citizenship in St Kitts and I was wondering what it's like over there. I know it provides an economic advantage over the U.S., but I was wondering what the actual islands were like, the people, etc. environment.

Is it third world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 12:44 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,387,502 times
I wouldn't describe St.Kitts and Nevis a third world country.

Its a small country one larger island St kitts and the smaller Nevis located in the leeward islands of the Caribbean its an English speaking nation populated by people of African descent though I'm sure there are mixed race and some Asians as well.

St Kitts culture is laid back the people are down to Earth and when carnival come and soca is pumping you better know how to wuk up and wine!! I don't know how conservative the people are but again people are laid back...

Food is similar to other Anglophone Caribbean islands so think rice and peas, Macaroni cheese, Fried fish etc

Old 05-14-2014, 12:54 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,743,809 times
What's a benefit to economic citizenship?

Old 05-14-2014, 01:38 PM

327 posts, read 569,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
What's a benefit to economic citizenship?
yeah, do they get a passport?

Old 05-14-2014, 02:18 PM

You get a passport, plus citizenship for your parent and children up to 25 years old.

Would a vegetarian be able to fit in there?

Old 05-14-2014, 05:36 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,935,082 times
Get citizenship so you can represent them in the Winter olympics if your wealthy enough.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:41 PM

692 posts, read 957,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous725 View Post
You get a passport, plus citizenship for your parent and children up to 25 years old.

Would a vegetarian be able to fit in there?
Not unless you're a rasta. The rest of the population are mostly avid carnivores

Old 05-14-2014, 08:12 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,743,809 times
Do you get retirement benefits like our social security system?

Old 05-15-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
Do you get retirement benefits like our social security system?
I am not too sure. If it's anything like the UK or Canadian system, I think so. It's mostly HM/Queen's country there.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:12 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,544,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous725 View Post
I am not too sure. If it's anything like the UK or Canadian system, I think so. It's mostly HM/Queen's country there.

I am not sure why an Economic citizen would even be interested in finding out what their social security is. It is rudimentary as one would expect in a "third world" country, and I think limited to those who pay into the system.

Some one said that it isnt third world, meaning that it isnt filled with severely impoverished people. I will suggest that poverty in SKN is more like one would find in the USA. Hard life, but not hordes of beggars/vendors as one might find even in Jamaica. Almost every one has access to modern amenities (water indoor plumbing, etc) , and a large % have internet access as well. Literacy levels are high, and over 60% complete high school.

SKN is the smallest nation in the Americas and the second smallest in the world. It has an economy largely dependent on tourism, inclusive of off shore medical and vet colleges. SK has emerged as a major cruise destination in the E/Caribbean. Some say because it lies near to must stop destinations like St Maarten and St Thomas, but offers a very different product.

Both islands are much more mountainous than their neighboring islands, and many parts are lush, so it lends itself to the active visitor who likes hiking through the rainforest and up the volcano (SK has the 14th highest mountain peak in the ENTIRE Caribbean-surprising given the small size of the island).

Ziplining, golf and the usual water sports are also other activities. Brimstone Hill is one of the best preserved historic forts in the Caribbean and is a UNESCO site. So different from the very touristy St Thomas and St Maarten. Twice as big with half the population, so less crowded.

It has as a result a large, but rotating US population (maybe as much as 4,000 including students). It also has around 4,000 immigrants from other parts of the Caribbean. The total population, inclusive of these groups is 53k. So, once one gets accustomed to a life style which is laid back EVEN by Caribbean standards, and a fairly high cost of living, an American will get most of what they need.

Both islands are very relaxing most of the time, though not at Xmas, for reasons alluded to here. Like most Caribbean people, they love to party. SK has its carnival at Xmas, and Nevis in early August. Please be warned that it is NOT for prudes.

Electronic assembly is another activity.

I will say that SKN is best for people who wish to relax in a laid back environment, but one which is easily accessable, and with a decent range of activities. More restaurants than one would expect for the small size of the two islands, though, outside of carnival, and the SK Music Festival, its definitely NOT a place for night owls. Nevis for people who wish to hibernate, and SK for those who wish quiet, but also want things to do.

I will say that its best for honeymooners, middle aged and older couples, and families with SMALL kids. It is for people who lead hectic lives, and so seek to relax. Not for those who need action packed vacations. The beaches can be best described as adequate as the islands are geologically recent volcanic, so dont expect to see the tourquiose waters and blindingly white sand beaches of Antigua, Anguilla, or the Virgin Islands. Sand color ranges from black through talcum colored through to golden.

The main benefit of the Economic Ciitizenship has been to allow developers of hotels and villas to raise equity financing for investors, allowing them to procure debt financing. Several projects are in the ground (including a Park Hyatt hotel, and a Koi property based on the restaurant of that name). Citizens of SKN do not need visas to enter Canada or the EU, and so many Chinese, Middle Easterners and Russians are involved because of this. Though some US investors also participate to take advantage of some tax and other incentives involved in acquiring property.

Last edited by caribny; 05-15-2014 at 05:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas