Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 05:16 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,942,856 times

Advertisements

The author is basically saying easing travel restrictions is essentially opening up Cuba for de facto tourism even though the US wants to call it a different name.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/16/wo...l-to-cuba.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 06:21 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
I so want to see Cuba before it becomes Americanized

Old 01-16-2015, 10:53 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,674,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I so want to see Cuba before it becomes Americanized
Is Mexico, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Haiti, Brazil, or any other developing country in the western hemisphere Americanized?

Old 01-16-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
The author is basically saying easing travel restrictions is essentially opening up Cuba for de facto tourism even though the US wants to call it a different name.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/16/wo...l-to-cuba.html
It's not de facto just yet. There are just easier loopholes. Instead of going through Canada or Mexico, Americans can just travel in groups directly to Cuba in the name of journalism or culture initiative.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:39 AM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Is Mexico, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Haiti, Brazil, or any other developing country in the western hemisphere Americanized?
I bet you can find McDonalds in all of them
Mexico has Walmart, HomeDepot, KFC, etc, etc.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I bet you can find McDonalds in all of them
Mexico has Walmart, HomeDepot, KFC, etc, etc.

Yes, but they aren't Americanized. Adding multi national chains does not make a country become Americanized.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:59 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
Quote:
Yes, but they aren't Americanized. Adding multi national chains does not make a country become Americanized.
I don't get why people are so hung up on this. Having McDonald's does not indicate "Americanization", the term for that is plain ole economics.

If the British fast food chain Wimpy were to open locations in the US does it mean the US would become "Britisher"? Duh, of course not.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:04 PM

10,058 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
I was thinking that too. Even Puerto Rico, which is the most Americanized place in Latin America, is distinctly different from the US, especially outside San Juan.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:00 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,312,185 times
Quote:
No, just some of the tourist areas in Mexico(and maybe the tourist areas in Jamaica) have a distinct American imprint(and American fast food but that's in a lot of countries). The major cities outside the border region or tourist beach areas, don't seem to be very Americanized at all though in Mexico. The old colonial cities don't seem to have very much non-Mexican(or non-Spanish) influence at all.

I think the fear with Cuba is that it's so close to Florida and the US has sort of checkered past in terms of influence pre-Castro in the country. But with Raul still in charge it won't change immediately so a lot of things would stay in place for a while, though who knows what will happens years after the Castros pass on.

But I mean, us Canadians and Europeans have been going to Varadero for vacation for years now--it's already a huge tourist destination, so there's already sort of a Cuban Cancun in a way and plenty visit Havana as well.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:27 PM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
Quote:
It's just part of the America bashing that people like to do. I've heard it for years. "I would love to visit Cuba before the Americans come in and destroy it like the rest of Latin america". As if other country's haven't been able to visit Cuba either. Most of us know that is false.

Just because an American chain opens up and resorts cater to "American" tourists (us evil Americans are the only white tourists who visit thses country's----sarc!!!) does not mean the country is Americanized. It's their country and they have the right to make the decisions on whether to permit American or other foreign company's from opening up there.

I just get sick of everyone blaming us Americans for other country's allowing our company's and chains to open up there. I spent a lot of time in Costa Rica and people say that country is too "Americanized" and that we've destroyed it. BS. So you can get an American style hamburger or USDA steak in assorted places if you want but you can still get rice, beans and a sliver of meat as well. Besides there are plenty of German and Canadian run places and ex-pats living there from those country's as well. But since they are white it's all American "Gringo's" which are opening shop with permission from those country's governments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas