Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 12:34 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
USA is far more epic. Canada is just one small country.
Well but how does epic translate for the average citizen though in day to day lol... Canada is a lot larger than Finland btw in size, population with a much larger economy - just sayin... everything is relative
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genealogytime View Post

Toronto is a megacity IMO from what I've heard. It's more important globally than Los Angeles I would imagine, and it may even be comparable to New York(Think New York lite). (I haven't been to either city so I may be wrong.)
I could see what Bimbam was getting at mentioning L.A but I can also see how some kinda go.. L.A a megacity - what.. The thing about L.A is it doesn't have a big or dense DT core.. Toronto's core is much larger and it has strong core urbanity as well. Toronto as a city even has higher peak population densities than L.A the city so as a megacity L.A isn't exactly strong in terms of peak densities.. Where it does excel is sprawl and sprawl like almost no other though its sprawl is still more dense than Houston or Pheonix type!

NYC is a true megacity - it has a massive DT core but it also has HEAVY peak population density.. It sprawls too but not to the likes of L.A.. Toronto simply doesn't sprawl like NYC or L.A or even Chicago for that matter... Clearly though, Canada has no NYC equivalent.. If it were in the U.S it would be the 3rd largest city proper and the 4th largest metro so I can see where Bimbam is coming from but by no means is Toronto small and when you are in its urban core people who aren't familiar would be surprised by its size and density - particularly of its DT core. In the Canadian sense, there is no city that gives off a bigger city feel pretty much across the board than Toronto and no other Canadian city is as sprawly though CAD cities aren't really sprawly in the U.S sense either including T.O

Old 02-08-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Well yes, you are incorrect in these assessments. Toronto is not considered to be a "megacity" on a world scale. New York City, Los Angeles and Chicago are considerably higher than Toronto on most standard global city rankings.

Toronto has a ranking that is generally between Washington DC and San Francisco (although these can change from year to year of course). The Greater Golden Horseshoe also has a population that is somewhat less than that of the Wasington DC - Baltimore combined statistical area.
CSA's simply don't have an equivalent pretty much outside the U.S.. The Greater Golden Horsehoe nor these U.S CSA's even closely resemble a city or even megacity.. They are not cohesive and are for lack of better terms are a network of cities linked largely by highways with an anchor city lol but lots of wide open spaces in between...They are a linked region not megacities but if you're happy calling a CSA a megacity all the power to you - they are pretty weak measures when looking at anything resembling a linked 'city' or even 'megacity' imo.

Toronto as a city is far closer to Chicago in population and density than it is to S.F or D.C...Even in metro terms find me a city other than the U.S big 3 that does what the Greater Toronto Area does with in 3000 sq miles putting 6.5 million people in such a small and cohesive urban area. Outside 3000 sq miles even in L.A and Chicago you are simply in much lower density sprawlsville to the total max.

Also your CSA stats are updated to 2015.. Canada's stats are from 2011 - four years is a difference especially if you are speaking about your megaregions.. Statscan releases its stats next year so the Greater Golden Horseshoe will be updated.

Last edited by fusion2; 02-08-2015 at 01:09 PM..

Old 02-08-2015, 01:01 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
CSA's simply don't have an equivalent pretty much outside the U.S.. The Greater Golden Horsehoe nor these U.S CSA's even closely resemble a city or even megacity.. They are not cohesive and are for lack of better terms a network of cities linked largely by highways lol...They are linked region not megacities..

Toronto as a city is far closer to Chicago in population and density than it is to S.F or D.C...Even in metro terms find me a city other than the U.S big 3 that does what the Greater Toronto Area does with in 3000 sq kilometres putting 6.5 million people in such a small area as a cohesive urban area.

Also your CSA stats are updated to 2015.. Canada's stats are from 2011 - four years is a difference.. Statscan releases its stats next year so the Greater Golden Horseshoe will be updated.
Typical city-data users though. Let's jump over Houston or Dallas-Fort Worth and several other nonhip cities that Toronto is closer in size to so we can claim DC and San Francisco are more important. Just waiting for someone to claim Vancouver is Canada's most important city.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:11 PM

1,398 posts, read 1,488,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well but how does epic translate for the average citizen though in day to day lol... Canada is a lot larger than Finland btw in size, population with a much larger economy - just sayin... everything is relative
But they are both small. Surely they are good places to live for an average citizen but they can not be compared to America.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
But they are both small. Surely they are good places to live for an average citizen but they can not be compared to America.
As nation states with influence obviously no other country in the world is going to compete with the U.S.. I mean why even have such a discussion in the first place.. China maybe but that's it and its still not the U.S.. Everyone else in terms of overall influence are much smaller players individually than the U.S.. So what else is there to debate - how people live or their geography... right?

Old 02-08-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Typical city-data users though. Let's jump over Houston or Dallas-Fort Worth and several other nonhip cities that Toronto is closer in size to so we can claim DC and San Francisco are more important. Just waiting for someone to claim Vancouver is Canada's most important city.
I was speaking of population mated with density.. Not megaregions with low density sprawl.. As I said, find me a U.S city other than the big 3 that'll put 6.5 million people (The Greater Toronto Area) in 3000 sq miles... What is typical is people quoting massive regions the size of small countries linked by nothing more than highway and attributing them as being a city - that is what I find laughable.. Nobody in Canada is going to claim Vancouver is its most important city btw - everyone knows its Toronto.

Btw I have nothing against Houston...

Old 02-08-2015, 01:25 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
As Fusion2 said, no one is going to claim Vancouver is Canada's most " important " city, but simply comparing cities of the same population in each country can be misleading.

Vancouver is Canada's 3rd largest city. In the context of Canada, it plays a different role, than a city with a similar population in the US.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
As Fusion2 said, no one is going to claim Vancouver is Canada's most " important " city, but simply comparing cities of the same population in each country can be misleading.

Vancouver is Canada's 3rd largest city. In the context of Canada, it plays a different role, than a city with a similar population in the US.
Agreed - plus like most Canadians cities Vancouver is more dense and urban - with a stronger DT core than your typical U.S city so that alone will make it feel like a more substantial city than pretty much any U.S city with 2.2 million people.

Montreal is another great example - it has 4 million people but relative to most U.S cities it fits that 4 million into a much more compact and urban package.. Canadian cities simply don't sprawl as much as U.S cities and we certainly don't go around quoting megaregions pretty much only linked by highways as a 'city' lol..

Old 02-08-2015, 01:35 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genealogytime View Post
As an American, here's where my belief that Canada is a better country stems from. If you want to refute any of these claims, you can go ahead. But right now I have an inferiority complex.

Firstly, you guys pay the same amount of taxes and get way more benefits than us.

Toronto is a megacity IMO from what I've heard. It's more important globally than Los Angeles I would imagine, and it may even be comparable to New York(Think New York lite). (I haven't been to either city so I may be wrong.)

The lack of climate diversity is an overstatement. In Bc, you have areas pretty close to desert. So that ends the debate over temperature diversity. Canada also has the arctic sea. The United States doesn't have the arctic sea. Sure, we have beaches. But the number of climates is about the same I have a feeling. Plus, I heard that the Turks and Caicos may be a part of Canada in the future.

And about the secessionist movements, one thing I've always envied about Canada is that if you want to move to or visit another nation (not a country, a nation.), you have Quebec. The United States is extremely homogenous in a lot of aspects so you don't get that kind of variety that you have in Canada.

Plus, you have pretty bias free media in the CBC. Down here, you have bias in everything. Considering the fact it's all privately owned.
Alaska says hi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas