Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 06:45 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,887,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genealogytime View Post
Could Mississauga and other cities create a chain of buildings like manhattan?

Or even larger?
lol - I don't know about that but I will say that Toronto and the GTA will probably be clearly the second most vertical city in Canada/U.S after NYC..

Even now Toronto has more highrise buildings than any other US/Canadian city minus NYC.. The fact that this is only going to increase to accomodate growth due to limitations in sprawl Toronto is going to be a very dense and vertical city in the future.. We've been seeing this for over a decade and its not going to stop - its just part of our urban fabric.

This is link just for Toronto city... If you added everything else in the GTA it would be at least 700 more.. Mississauga alone has over 400 highrises

List of cities with the most high-rise buildings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 07:43 PM

42 posts, read 64,307 times
Yeah, I looked at future projections of the skyline. It's gonna turn out similar to Chicago. Slightly bigger though.

I feel like you guys have officialy won the better country game.

If you have megacities, and more diversity. With better government and services. You guys also aren't having primitive debates about if two people of the same gender can marry each other.

There isn't anything that makes the United States look good in comparison. And I'm being honest.

Do you think this is just a "the grass is greener on the other side" kind of thing? If I was Canadian, what would I find cool about the us?

I apologize, I'm just at my whits end.

Last edited by Genealogytime; 02-08-2015 at 08:02 PM..

Old 02-08-2015, 08:43 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
The great variety in US from culture to scenery.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:50 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,048,498 times
Quote:

...... If I was Canadian, what would I find cool about the us?
Well, if you haven't travelled all over the entire continent you might not realize that the USA (although it's smaller than Canada) really does have more diversity of geography and climate. That's what I think is cool about USA. The parts of it that have been untouched and uninhabited by people are quite beautiful.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:51 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,868,976 times
Quote:
And about the secessionist movements, one thing I've always envied about Canada is that if you want to move to or visit another nation (not a country, a nation.), you have Quebec. The United States is extremely homogenous in a lot of aspects so you don't get that kind of variety that you have in Canada.
This is totally untrue; the US' culture is anything but homogeneous. Drive across interstate 10 from Santa Monica, CA to Jacksonville, FL and you will drive through eight states, and through multiple different regional cultures that are quite markedly different. And that whole trip is excluding NorCal, the PNW, the Rockies, the Midwest, the Great Lakes region, most of the rest of the South, the Northeast, New England, the BosWash corridor, Hawaii, Alaska, etc etc etc.

Quote:
Plus, you have pretty bias free media in the CBC. Down here, you have bias in everything. Considering the fact it's all privately owned.
Somewhat a misnomer; being publicly-funded doesn't preclude it from bias... though you won't hear me dispute how dysfunctional and sensationalist the mainstream US media is.

Quote:
Do you think this is just a "the grass is greener on the other side" kind of thing? If I was Canadian, what would I find cool about the us?

I apologize, I'm just at my whits end.
Yes, it is a "grass is greener on the other side" thing. I think you're more or less looking to prove that everything about the US blows, and that Canada beats it by every metric. There are a lot of things that Canada has in better order than the US - its crime, its police, its social services - but don't get sucked into the profoundly ignorant, reactionary trap of painting the whole of the US as a bunch of fat criminals in a Walmart, that it's devoid of any geographic diversity, etc.

Last edited by 415_s2k; 02-08-2015 at 09:04 PM..

Old 02-08-2015, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Well, if you haven't travelled all over the entire continent you might not realize that the USA (although it's smaller than Canada) really does have more diversity of geography and climate. That's what I think is cool about USA. The parts of it that have been untouched and uninhabited by people are quite beautiful.

both countries are stunningly beautiful.. I'd agree that you have a bit more diversity of geography and even more of climate in the U.S - but lets not sell a place short that gives scenes like this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHNFsN7rqSY

Old 02-08-2015, 09:06 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,868,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
both countries are stunningly beautiful.. I'd agree that you have a bit more diversity of geography and even more of climate in the U.S - but lets not sell a place short that gives scenes like this..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHNFsN7rqSY
Oh yeah, for sure. Canada and the US are part of the same continent, and geographic diversity doesn't pay attention to political borders. Canada's more northern position gives it more diversity in colder climates, while the US' more southern position gives it more diversity in warmer climates. Between the two, you have damn-near everything!

Old 02-08-2015, 09:16 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,048,498 times
Quote:
Fusion, I'm not selling Canada short one whit. OP asked what a Canadian might find cool about USA. I said USA has more diversity of geography and climate, and the untouched parts of it are beautiful, and that is the truth. But Canada has a diversity of geography and nature that is different from USA in that it is more 'raw' and in my opinion all of Canada is more beautiful because more of it has been untouched and unsullied by people. I'd never want to live in any country that has so many people as USA has.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Fusion, I'm not selling Canada short one whit. OP asked what a Canadian might find cool about USA. I said USA has more diversity of geography and climate, and the untouched parts of it are beautiful, and that is the truth. But Canada has a diversity of geography and nature that is different from USA in that it is more 'raw' and in my opinion all of Canada is more beautiful because more of it has been untouched and unsullied by people. I'd never want to live in any country that has so many people as USA has.

Chill out zoisite... It was an opportunity to shamelessly demonstrate the unique beauty of one of our parts lol..

Old 02-08-2015, 09:27 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
CSA's suck I've made that clear from my perspective lol.. I wish you guys would start comparing your cities populations like most other nations do.. Who else uses CSA equivs when comparing size/populations of their cities.. As Mel Lastmann says NOOOOBODY.. The only real megacity in my mind in the U.S or Canada is NYC - hands down... Everyone else is just fighting for a spot in the peanut gallery.. L.A needs to have a REAL Canamerican DT core in relation to its massive sprawly size to get into contention.. Chicago slaps L.A silly in terms of giving off a bigger city feel in the core.

Having said that, yes the U.S has a larger spread of large cities than Canada CSA's aside.. Not shocking lol.
It's probably a lot more reasonable to go with the Urban Area designation from the census than CSAs. Maybe MSAs. CSAs are silly, but there are those two other options.

Los Angeles is built pretty terribly in a lot of ways, but it is a bona fide mega city. You get suburban tracts and sprawl that goes way out, but even the suburban tracts close to downtown core feature high population density and there are a lot of random midrise business districts throughout. Though in my opinion, that kind of polycentric layout isn't always a negative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas