Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2015, 10:09 PM

42 posts, read 64,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Zoisite - don't be silly.. I've actually put my money where my mouth is and have visited numerous States in the U.S.. New Mexico and Arizona are my absolute favourite and have remarkeable beauty... Few experiences have been more rewarding to me than trekking through the Bisti Badlands.. The U.S needs make no apologies for its natural beauty.. Did you miss the part where I said both Canada and the U.S are stunningly beautiful... mindless chest pumping... really

Sensitive moment there but its Ok I love you too and pssst I love the U.S as well.
I have to admit that Canada has more mountainous beauty (Think Banff).

It's a shame that congress wants to develop the national parks though.

New Congress Begins Anti-Environment Attack With 'No More National Parks' Bill | ThinkProgress
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 10:11 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
While true, because that size is so huge, its downtown core pretty is much on par with a lot of other cities and arguably within the same ballpark as Chicago.
It could be the lack of vertical development ie highrises and skyscrapers vs a city like Chicago within the DT core. Even in terms of its skyline it isn't even regarded clearly in the top 5 within the U.S whereas there is no doubt that NYC and Chicago are 1 and 2..

Old 02-08-2015, 10:31 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
It could be the lack of vertical development ie highrises and skyscrapers vs a city like Chicago within the DT core. Even in terms of its skyline it isn't even regarded clearly in the top 5 within the U.S whereas there is no doubt that NYC and Chicago are 1 and 2..
Oh yea, its skyline isn't in the same category of NYC or Chicago. Downtown itself does have a lot of (beautiful) old highrise and midrise structures though and there's a linear corridor of midrise/highrises going down Wilshire connecting it to other smaller CBDs though and going all the way to coast to Santa Monica. A lot of the buildings won't hit the twelve story mark listed though because of both older ordinances restricting height and newer ordinances that require very different construction for buildings over seven (? something like that, can't remember the exact details) which would make things far more expensive to construct and both of those are due to fears of seismic activity.

A lot of the midrise and highrise buildings, especially the older ones, were formerly empty or used simply as storage spaces, but ordinance changes from the turn of the century have made it so that things have changed markedly from before. LA's definitely gone through, and is still currently going through, a bit of a sea change in its core.

However, as a downtown core with a lot of mixed-use development and a great density of a variety of detail, the downtown core of LA is now in the ballpark of Chicago and Toronto (and for that matter, SF, Boston, DC, Philadelphia, and Montreal which are the other cities I'd put in roughly the same tier), and all of these in a very separate tier from NYC.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:05 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,864,662 times
I find everything better in the US, except Canadian cities generally have more walkable inner cities. Before living in Canada I had a rosier view of Canada. IMHO it looks a lot better on paper than in reality.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:31 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genealogytime View Post
I have to admit that Canada has more mountainous beauty (Think Banff).
For a long time, it has been a dream of mine to visit the Canadian Rockies.

I just haven't gotten around to it yet. :-)

Old 02-09-2015, 10:01 AM

156 posts, read 200,374 times
The US blows away Canada. My fiancee is American and I literally cannot wait to move there. Living in Canada is like being stuck in one American state. There is just so much opportunity and options in the US. I can't hink of anything Canada has over the US. Arguably healthcare, but I cant think of much else.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:07 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,513,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblue1987 View Post
The US blows away Canada. My fiancee is American and I literally cannot wait to move there. Living in Canada is like being stuck in one American state. There is just so much opportunity and options in the US. I can't hink of anything Canada has over the US. Arguably healthcare, but I cant think of much else.
No it doesn't. They are mostly identical. Canada is just less extreme. Less inequality, less gun deaths, ect.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:17 AM

156 posts, read 200,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
No it doesn't. They are mostly identical. Canada is just less extreme. Less inequality, less gun deaths, ect.
We are NOT identical to the US. Canada has a unique culture and history. In my book the US is way better than Canada. I feel we are backwards in a lot of ways. You don't have to agree, just my opinion as a Canadian who lives in both countries!

Old 02-09-2015, 10:27 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
I find everything better in the US, except Canadian cities generally have more walkable inner cities..
Even the poutine?

Old 02-09-2015, 10:38 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblue1987 View Post
We are NOT identical to the US. Canada has a unique culture and history. In my book the US is way better than Canada. I feel we are backwards in a lot of ways. You don't have to agree, just my opinion as a Canadian who lives in both countries!
If Canada is backwards than the USA must be downwards lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas