Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 11:21 PM

42 posts, read 64,297 times

Advertisements

Obviously no country is better than the other. But what aspects are better about the respective countries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 11:27 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,380,011 times
US for better weather and dynamic economy.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:23 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Genealogytime, what country do you live in?

Old 02-08-2015, 12:23 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genealogytime View Post
Obviously no country is better than the other. But what aspects are better about the respective countries?
They're big countries, it's hard to generalize.

In general though?

US:
- Larger economies of scale mean more competition, selection and lower prices for goods.
- Larger economy also means more specialized careers can exist.
- A larger country with more diversity of landscapes and climates.
- The presence of true megacities (LA and NYC).
- More affordable real estate.
- No serious secessionist movements.

Canada:
- Much more intact and prosperous inner cities, in general.
- I consider our healthcare systems (plural, each province's is distinct) to generally be less dysfunctional.
- A better environment for small businesses, and much lower corporate tax rates.
- No silly dysfunctional 2 party political oligarchy. Parties are born, rise, and fall, and if a party fails badly enough it pays the price by dying and someone else filling the vacuum. When I was born 3 parties sat in the House of Commons, the governing party of that parliament was reduced to 2 seats in the next election and no longer exists, and 5 parties sit in the house now, 3 of which did not exist then, including the current governing party. Moreover, each provincial legislature has it's own wildly different political parties, unlike the states which just seem to mirror the federal 2 party system.
- Better public transit for cities at each tier vs. the US.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:42 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post

In general though?

US:
- Larger economies of scale mean more competition, selection and lower prices for goods.

Canada:
- I consider our healthcare systems (plural, each province's is distinct) to generally be less dysfunctional.
- A better environment for small businesses, and much lower corporate tax rates.
- No silly dysfunctional 2 party political oligarchy. Parties are born, rise, and fall, and if a party fails badly enough it pays the price by dying and someone else filling the vacuum. When I was born 3 parties sat in the House of Commons, the governing party of that parliament was reduced to 2 seats in the next election and no longer exists, and 5 parties sit in the house now, 3 of which did not exist then, including the current governing party. Moreover, each provincial legislature has it's own wildly different political parties, unlike the states which just seem to mirror the federal 2 party system.
in red correction, Canada is a larger country - not by a whole lot but its still larger.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:46 AM

2,652 posts, read 3,411,364 times
He/She meant the diversity, not the size of the country.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkier7 View Post
He/She meant the diversity, not the size of the country.
This is what he said

"A larger country with more diversity of landscapes and climates."

If he simply meant more diversity of landcapes and climates than this is what should have been said
  • more diversity of landscapes and climates
Saying a larger country just confuses things and makes it suggest he/she thinks the U.S is a larger country.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:04 AM

Another few things to add regarding something Canada seems to do better than the U.S is distribute wealth more equally among the masses.. There seems to be less of a stark difference between the rich and poor in Canada vs the U.S.

Paid Maternity/Paternity leave is also a big plus and generally speaking, cheaper post-secondary education..

On the other side, Canada seems to be relying too much on being a resource based economy.. I'd like to see it become more innovative and it can take cues from the U.S in this regard.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:30 AM

42 posts, read 64,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post

In general though?

US:

Canada:
As an American, here's where my belief that Canada is a better country stems from. If you want to refute any of these claims, you can go ahead. But right now I have an inferiority complex.

Firstly, you guys pay the same amount of taxes and get way more benefits than us.

Toronto is a megacity IMO from what I've heard. It's more important globally than Los Angeles I would imagine, and it may even be comparable to New York(Think New York lite). (I haven't been to either city so I may be wrong.)

The lack of climate diversity is an overstatement. In Bc, you have areas pretty close to desert. So that ends the debate over temperature diversity. Canada also has the arctic sea. The United States doesn't have the arctic sea. Sure, we have beaches. But the number of climates is about the same I have a feeling. Plus, I heard that the Turks and Caicos may be a part of Canada in the future.

And about the secessionist movements, one thing I've always envied about Canada is that if you want to move to or visit another nation (not a country, a nation.), you have Quebec. The United States is extremely homogenous in a lot of aspects so you don't get that kind of variety that you have in Canada.

Plus, you have pretty bias free media in the CBC. Down here, you have bias in everything. Considering the fact it's all privately owned.

Last edited by Genealogytime; 02-08-2015 at 01:46 AM..

Old 02-08-2015, 02:35 AM

2,652 posts, read 3,411,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
This is what he said

"A larger country with more diversity of landscapes and climates."

If he simply meant more diversity of landcapes and climates than this is what should have been said
  • more diversity of landscapes and climates
Saying a larger country just confuses things and makes it suggest he/she thinks the U.S is a larger country.
Yeah I understand where you got confused from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas