Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 01:25 AM

984 posts, read 1,318,486 times

Advertisements

The answer is short and simple.................NO.

Most people who would visit such places are only going for the sunshine and heat but there are too many other closer, cheaper, safer, and more interesting options for NAs.

People who are more into history and culture also have far better and more affordable option in Mex/Gua.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 01:59 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,254,571 times
I heard that Guyana and Suriname was having problems with Indian Cobras. They're thriving there and overrunning the place....

Old 04-21-2015, 10:47 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,201,062 times
These places are must-visits for me but likely will not be such for much of the world, at least for some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
The answer is short and simple.................NO.

Most people who would visit such places are only going for the sunshine and heat but there are too many other closer, cheaper, safer, and more interesting options for NAs.

People who are more into history and culture also have far better and more affordable option in Mex/Gua.
The cultures of Suriname & Guyana are more interesting to me. The ethnic diversity is on a different level and quite amazing, imho. Guyana's interior is awesome, as it is extremely untouched.

Actually, people who visit this places likely are not going for sunshine and heat at all. These places bring those more interested in nature and different cultures.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:53 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,438,955 times
I have had Guyanese food many times, it is very good. But I wonder what food In Suriname and French Guiana is like?

Old 04-21-2015, 11:33 PM

I'm sure there is overlap with Suriname due to the East Indian and African/Creole populations. Chinese as well. But the Javanese in Suriname likely add some yummy dishes to the mix...

Not as familiar with French Guiana, so not sure there.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 04-21-2015 at 11:43 PM..

Old 04-22-2015, 01:12 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,272,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Actually, people who visit this places likely are not going for sunshine and heat at all. These places bring those more interested in nature and different cultures.
Yep, that would be my #1 interest, by far - the cultural, culinary, and linguistic diversity. A mix of different cultures and foods and languages.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:03 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,438,955 times
Oh, I completely missed this post, Lmao!Where did you hear that Eric? I googled it and all that came up was this thread. That sounds messed, who the hell brought cobras over?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
I heard that Guyana and Suriname was having problems with Indian Cobras. They're thriving there and overrunning the place....

Old 04-22-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Oh, I completely missed this post, Lmao!Where did you hear that Eric? I googled it and all that came up was this thread. That sounds messed, who the hell brought cobras over?
I can't remember where I read it...this was quite a while back, a few years at least..

Guyana and Suriname has a fairly sizeable Indian population and I read that sometime ago I guess something about Cobras that were brought, I assume illegally in captivity if I remember, had escaped and after sometime have begun breeding in some areas of the country due to it having a suitable climate..

This was quite a while ago...I can't find the article I read. I remember being struck by it and surprised but I guess it makes sense.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
I can't remember where I read it...this was quite a while back, a few years at least..

Guyana and Suriname has a fairly sizeable Indian population and I read that sometime ago I guess something about Cobras that were brought, I assume illegally in captivity if I remember, had escaped and after sometime have begun breeding in some areas of the country due to it having a suitable climate..

This was quite a while ago...I can't find the article I read. I remember being struck by it and surprised but I guess it makes sense.
Do you know when the cobras were brought? Most people of Indian descent in Guyana and Suriname have been there for generations.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Do you know when the cobras were brought? Most people of Indian descent in Guyana and Suriname have been there for generations.
Yes that's what I read.... it had, at least at one point, become a real problem there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas