Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 09:29 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afroswed88 View Post
What is wrong with Brazil?

How many changes are they going to throw away? New corruptions scandals, high murder rates, bad education, high inequality, inflation, bureaucracy from hell, high taxes... the list goes on.

The world gives Brazil a unique time to change the country with the World Cup, Olympics and other events.... But whats happens... the apple doesn't fall far from the tree... Brazil is the same old ****

How could Chile and South korea make it?

What is in the future for Brazil? Where is Brazil in 2050? Developed?

Any one in here living there and have any good news about the economy or any good news about Brazil?

I heard they have updated the car import agreement with Mexico so it's cheaper to import cars to Brazil for some years but I guess it's still going to be expensive to buy a car in Brazil.
Chile is not developed....yet. By the end of this decade Chile will become a developed country. Brazil has huge problems with inequality that are typical of developing nations. South Korea and Brazil? You are kidding, South Korea is light years ahead of Brazil. São Paulo is nothing compared to Seoul

Old 03-15-2015, 09:33 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,418 times
Chile still has a lot of poverty, I wouldn't call it "developed". It's not on the same par as countries like the UK, France, etc.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:42 AM

471 posts, read 621,128 times
Brazil is the next Venezuela. The next rich country to be dominated by communism.
Cubans have their eyes set on Brazil.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:33 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,526,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiResident View Post
Brazil is the next Venezuela. The next rich country to be dominated by communism.
Cubans have their eyes set on Brazil.
May God never listen to you!

Old 03-15-2015, 01:32 PM

491 posts, read 753,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Chile still has a lot of poverty, I wouldn't call it "developed". It's not on the same par as countries like the UK, France, etc.
What really sets Chile apart from the region is precisely it's low-ish poverty. It may not be as developed as the UK but certainly more developed than Portugal and possibly Greece. I think like Eric here that development is difficult to just put a number on it.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:51 PM

881 posts, read 922,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
What really sets Chile apart from the region is precisely it's low-ish poverty. It may not be as developed as the UK but certainly more developed than Portugal and possibly Greece. I think like Eric here that development is difficult to just put a number on it.
"certainly"? not at all. In pretty much all indicators Portugal is above Chile. Minimum wage, average wage, PISA tests scores... there's a huge gap between the two.

Greece, probably too.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:57 PM

491 posts, read 753,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
"certainly"? not at all. In pretty much all indicators Portugal is above Chile. Minimum wage, average wage, PISA tests scores... there's a huge gap between the two.

Greece, probably too.
IF there is a HUGE gap between Portugal and Chile why is Chile ranking above Portugal in HDI?

Old 03-15-2015, 09:00 PM

85 posts, read 122,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afroswed88 View Post
How could Chile and South korea make it?
I don't think Chile is developed as South Korea... Comparing the industry, the technology, education and public services of both countries, Chile is still a third world country compared to South Korea...

Not to mention that Chile does not have a single company that compares to Koreans motors and eletronic world giants...

But Chile had indeed grown a lot over the past decade...

I believe it was more natural to Chile than to Brazil because Chile is an uniform nation and social inequality is not as remarkable there as in Brazil...

Brazil is composed of several diverse regions... Some of those grew as much as Chile, or even more, if we compare per-capita incomes.

But I see that a turning point to Chile's economy was to make the most of the Chinese demand for commodities when China was growing at a rhythm absurd.

They really became a top mining country in the world, they are getting close to Canada and Australia.

Brazil, just to compare this sector in industry of the two countries, grew a lot less than it's potencial at the time. There was practically no investment in exploration, we mined old projects that became viable with those international prices, basically low grade small iron deposits.

Chilean central government, on the other hand, came with a strong policy to attract international investment, to qualificate workforce and to develop research to the mining industry. They got all the money they could get from mining and now are settled as a diversified mining country.

Brazilian government, press and society have a historical trend to demonise all kinds of industry...

Old 03-15-2015, 09:07 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,440,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
IF there is a HUGE gap between Portugal and Chile why is Chile ranking above Portugal in HDI?
Chile and Portugal are both ranked 0.822 in HDI. Which is rather shocking tbh...why is Portugal doing so bad?

Chile's inequality seems to be a lot worse though, its Gini coefficient is like 50 while Portugal is like 30-something. And I don't think you can find casas chubi(Chilean equivalent of Brazil's favelas) in Portugal.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:02 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,893,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Chile and Portugal are both ranked 0.822 in HDI. Which is rather shocking tbh...why is Portugal doing so bad?

Chile's inequality seems to be a lot worse though, its Gini coefficient is like 50 while Portugal is like 30-something. And I don't think you can find casas chubi(Chilean equivalent of Brazil's favelas) in Portugal.

The economy is doing terrible in Portugal right now with high unemployment the government has also been implementing austerity measures for several years. The government overspent on infrastructure and wasted money contracting with inefficient companies when the economy was growing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas