Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 05:39 AM

8,871 posts, read 8,459,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
The economy is doing terrible in Portugal right now with high unemployment the government has also been implementing austerity measures for several years. The government overspent on infrastructure and wasted money contracting with inefficient companies when the economy was growing.
Yeah I'm aware that Portugal's economy is in a terrible state right now(and has been for a while) but 0.822 is just too terrible. Greece's economy is also pretty damn awful now but it's got a 0.853.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:47 AM

3,996 posts, read 6,811,232 times
Chile is not a developed country.

Period.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:58 AM

By the way, the number of Brazilians with a higher education degree is almost the same as the entire population of Chile.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:06 AM

8,871 posts, read 8,459,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
By the way, the number of Brazilians with a higher education degree is almost the same as the entire population of Chile.
Then again the population size of Brazil is 11 times larger than Chile's.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:19 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,250,643 times
I dunno, when I lived there, still plenty of absolute "grinding poverty" ever visit Temuco? It's like a giant slum alot of it....
I'm not so sure if I would consider Chile in "transition" in my opinion that's taking a bit far.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Then again the population size of Brazil is 11 times larger than Chile's.
Exactly.

It's easier to achieve a slightly higher level of development than Brazil when the entire population of your country is just about the same size as the number of Brazilians with a higher education degree.

Less population makes things weasier. No wonder Norway is more "developed" than the USA...

Old 03-16-2015, 07:36 AM

I have nothing against Chile and Chileans, but THIS just doesn't look very "developed" to me:

https://www.google.com.br/maps/@-36....g!2e0?hl=pt-BR

This also doesn't look very "developed":

https://www.google.com.br/maps/@-36....Q!2e0?hl=pt-BR

I repeat: nothing personal against Chile or Chileans...

Old 03-16-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Exactly.

It's easier to achieve a slightly higher level of development than Brazil when the entire population of your country is just about the same size as the number of Brazilians with a higher education degree.

Less population makes things weasier. No wonder Norway is more "developed" than the USA...
No it's not developed at all, the contrast between ultra wealthy and ultra poor is still quite high in Chile. High er education is "extremely expensive" and becoming less and less obtainable all the time. Alot of Chileans are coming to Arg to try and take advantage of studying in the universities here. Life is VERY expensive in Chile and the middle class is smaller and becoming increasingly smaller and squeezed.

Chile still seems to have the old-world spanish style "caudillo" mentality and it's a VERY VERY strict "class oriented" society, VERY diff for the average Chilean to advance. Women are regularly treated as subordinates, ( never have I seen men that were more insecure, yet overtly "macho" than in Chile and Chilean men ) as is sexual harassment, a big issue there in the workplace. If you were born in a certain class, you stay in it. I was also told by MANY Chileans when I lived there that their is a sort of societal undertone of discrimination of people who have surnames or physical features that are amer-indian or for example "Mapuche"...it's weird. I found this odd, because in general, the average chileans are fairly mestizo...it's very strange and I don't understand it.

I was told that one friend knew a girl who was from the south of Chile who paid to have her indigenous surname removed and legally changed as well as have plastic surgery to later change her appearance somewhat to make her look less ameri-indian and mestizo so she could appeal to a potential mate in a higher class so and marry out of her lower status. I know it sounds very odd ( it is ) but it's what I've been told. This is a VERY big deal in Chile. Many Chilean women go to the Univ to study ONLY to have the opportunity of meeting a man from a more prestigious or wealthy family and "marry up" I was told that in Chile in the poorer classes, young women are trained in this from very young. Status is a BIG deal in Chile, for most, if your lower, it's the ONLY way up.

You need to read some books if you can get them, I read one before I went to Chile written by "Isabell Ayende" years ago where she chronicles life as not only a woman in Chile but also the "idiosyncracies" and strangeness of the "two-faces" of Chilean society. Chile is a very complicated country, in my opinion, the most beautiful and actually my favorite to live in, I liked it better than Argentina, but it's complicated.

Chile was my first south-american experience and I lived there for a while and traveled the length and breadth of the country....it's the most beautiful country in the world, besides my own of course but Arg is a close 3rd. I experienced 2 strong tremors while living in Santiago

Old 03-16-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
I have nothing against Chile and Chileans, but THIS just doesn't look very "developed" to me:

https://www.google.com.br/maps/@-36....g!2e0?hl=pt-BR

This also doesn't look very "developed":

https://www.google.com.br/maps/@-36....Q!2e0?hl=pt-BR

I repeat: nothing personal against Chile or Chileans...

That's very typical of most of the country actually...except for certain niehgborhoods in Santiago de Chile and Puerto Montt. I lived in Barrio "La Florida" with a family of a friend....a typical working class family and this is very similar to the neighborhood I lived in..

Here is a picture of the neighborhood "La Florida" where I lived for a while looking towards "la Cordillera"

Avenida Grecia in "La Reina" east side of Santiago where I was studying....I used to walk right here:

Old 03-16-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoingThatOnPurpose View Post
It looks developed to me....
Trust me, you don't know what poverty is... I do, I lived with a poor family in Chile for almost a year, so I know what it is and I know at least a little about what the average Chilean lives with and if you think it's a "developed lifestyle" like what one might be used to in Europe or the U.S.

You'd be in for an extremely rude awakening.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas