Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 01:00 AM

491 posts, read 752,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
You can see places a lot like this in the United States.
and in france, spain, etc.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Chile does not, by any definition, qualify as a developed market
Well considering they are less than 4 years away from development there has to be something about them that is already developed? I mean most rankings I see Chile in puts it in the lower end of the developed countries.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
I think that in the 21st century, there is a need to think about new criteria to define what a "developed" country is.

Things like "how many percent of households have a washing machine", so people (usually women in most cases) don't need to spend a lot of time cleaning clothes by hand.

Or "how many percent of households have broadband internet access"

Or "how many percent of houselholds have more than one toilet"

We need new criteria, based on more concrete things like those.
yeah, I mean there ARE rankings for all of those things but they don't compile into a single ranking.

Actually come to think of it, I think there is one ranking that takes many, many factors into account. Have to investigate.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
I dunno, when I lived there, still plenty of absolute "grinding poverty" ever visit Temuco? It's like a giant slum alot of it....
I'm not so sure if I would consider Chile in "transition" in my opinion that's taking a bit far.
I think I have been in Temuco, I took a trip to Bariloche, Argentina from Santiago via Osorno and Puero Montt and stopped at everything in between. Btw, I recommend taking the high-speed catamaran through the archipielago in Chile to Argentina. Fantastic.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:50 AM

9 posts, read 21,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
This video gives you a good idea why Brazil didnt make it:

Thanks. Well for some time I was beliving maybe Brazil would make it, but as before in history Brazil always fail and once againg the story repeats itself. I think the only Reason Portugal is better of then Chile is because of the EU:union, Chile is alone, surrounded by by poor corrupt-countries, look at Portugal what country are they surrounded by by?

By the way the picture of "poverty in Sweden" is not really true, I know that place, it was a place where some immigrants where living ( the swedish news paper wroute about it a lot) it's not there any more and it was only in Stockholm, the people that where living where got help from the swedish goverment.

Eu te amo meu país mas para viver no Brasil vc precisa ser um filho do politico ou presidente, o povo brasiliero não é vale nada para os politicos do Brasil.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afroswed88 View Post
By the way the picture of "poverty in Sweden" is not really true, I know that place, it was a place where some immigrants where living
The slums in northen Chile are also all immigrant areas. In Sweden there is a better system to address the logistic nightmare that the huge immigration entails than Chile. If Chile is to keep an "open border" policy, then they must take better care of the immigrants. Otherwise I would suggest they close up the borders. Same with Argentina.

Regarding the pics of Sweden, there are places far worse than the pics I posted... for example in the Swedish city of Lund. Also some areas in Botkyrka and Landskrona are bad-ish too.

Here is one from Malmö, Sweden: (2 weeks old)

Though this is not widespread and definately not structural. In that regards you are right.

Last edited by MrPilot; 03-17-2015 at 06:00 AM..

Old 03-17-2015, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
the middle class is smaller and becoming increasingly smaller and squeezed.
ehh

Old 03-17-2015, 10:15 AM

9 posts, read 21,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
The slums in northen Chile are also all immigrant areas. In Sweden there is a better system to address the logistic nightmare that the huge immigration entails than Chile. If Chile is to keep an "open border" policy, then they must take better care of the immigrants. Otherwise I would suggest they close up the borders. Same with Argentina.

Regarding the pics of Sweden, there are places far worse than the pics I posted... for example in the Swedish city of Lund. Also some areas in Botkyrka and Landskrona are bad-ish too.

Here is one from Malmö, Sweden: (2 weeks old)

Though this is not widespread and definately not structural. In that regards you are right.

Damn, I did not know about that place in Sweden but I can imagine, south of sweden is where most immigrants arrive so it's going to be more poverty there, I guess

Old 03-17-2015, 10:54 AM

881 posts, read 921,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
However, of the "BRIC" markets, it's really only India and China that are still drawing investor interest, and Chile is often classified as a sort of "next-generation" BRIC country.

But BRICS (and most of the like, like CIVETS) it's about major emerging economies with significant global influence. Chile's economy is too small to be BRICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
The slums in northen Chile are also all immigrant areas.
According to http://www.munitel.cl/eventos/semina...ENDA/PPT15.pdf (page 30): "Of all the families in campamentos, only 1.2% have a foreign male-headed household "

Old 03-17-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
But BRICS (and most of the like, like CIVETS) it's about major emerging economies with significant global influence. Chile's economy is too small to be BRICS

According to http://www.munitel.cl/eventos/semina...ENDA/PPT15.pdf (page 30): "Of all the families in campamentos, only 1.2% have a foreign male-headed household "
When I visited the north, we saw mostly colombians and other in the settlements outside of the city center.

The pdf seem to use data from 2011 which is when the real wave of immigrants started I believe. Argentina and Venezuela have had immigration for longer period of time than Chile.

Here I think is some information of what I mean:

Colombianos construyen villas en el Norte - Taringa!
Chile-Hoy: Tres regiones del norte piden regular inmigración

please sorry If it is not relevant, there is a slight language problem :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas