Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 12:08 PM

491 posts, read 754,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Those were just the opinions of a couple of Chileans and they said that Argentina has much better unis and healthcare.

Besides, PISA is not an indication of better education, more like rote education, if anything.
I'm sorry I don't follow... where do you need clarification?

Old 02-19-2016, 06:18 PM

6 posts, read 11,285 times
Default Los Angeles, Chile

Hi, I am from Jamaica, and I was just following your discussion with a certain young-man who has a very negative view of Chile. I dont know if he is a foreigner or a Chilean? However, He makes Chile sound dreadful/. Whether he is right or not, cant say, for I have never been there. What I can tell you that these social negativities are all over the place and not subject to one area. I cant imagine Chile being that bad has to how he and so many others put it. I cant imagine Chile being worse than Brazil, Colombia, Venezuela, Mexico in terms of inequality, poverty and injustice and bad infrastructure. But you seemed very informed about this whole issue about CHILE AND THE SOCIO-ECONOMIC SITUATION CURRENTLY THERE. I am planning to travel to Chile in the next few months and to spend a few months there. What could you tell me about the city of Los Angeles in the region of BIO BIO? I am planning on going there, and I would like to know about it, the city, and the people. Maybe you have practical experience there and some good ideas and suggestions? Hoping to hear from you.

Paul

Old 02-19-2016, 08:21 PM

4,098 posts, read 3,740,039 times
LMAO - Chile developed, more developed than Portugal? Oh goodness.

Now don't get me wrong the strides Chile has made are commendable and it's a great example to other South American countries, however, in no way, shape or form is Chile developed yet.

Portugal has had centuries of constant development and it shows! Yes it's experiencing a tough time now but you don't erase all those centuries of advancements in a decade. Chile's rise is short-lived and there are still a lot of undesirable areas/factors in the country, way more percentage-wise than the US so don't really get the comparison with the wealthiest economy on the planet.

Chile is more on par with Romania than with Portugal.

Old 02-20-2016, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Chile is more on par with Romania than with Portugal.
With that you have disqualified yourself from any credibility. Romania's gdp (nominal) per capita is only 9000 usd... Chile almost twice.

HDI Ranking 2015:

Very High Human development
42. Chile 0.832

43. Portugal 0.830

High Human Development
52. Romania 0.793

-----------------------------------

Besides nobody is saying that Chile is already developed. However that is about to change.

Last edited by MrPilot; 02-20-2016 at 05:18 AM..

Old 02-20-2016, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammeing View Post
But you seemed very informed about this whole issue about CHILE AND THE SOCIO-ECONOMIC SITUATION CURRENTLY THERE. I am planning to travel to Chile in the next few months and to spend a few months there. What could you tell me about the city of Los Angeles in the region of BIO BIO? I am planning on going there, and I would like to know about it, the city, and the people. Maybe you have practical experience there and some good ideas and suggestions? Hoping to hear from you.

Paul
Who are you talking to?

Old 02-20-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
With that you have disqualified yourself from any credibility. Romania's gdp (nominal) per capita is only 9000 usd... Chile almost twice.

HDI Ranking 2015:

Very High Human development
42. Chile 0.832

43. Portugal 0.830

High Human Development
52. Romania 0.793

-----------------------------------

Besides nobody is saying that Chile is already developed. However that is about to change.
Where on earth are you getting your economic data from? You're forgetting the slump in the Chilean currency. At current market rates of the Chilean currency i.e. US$1 = Chilean Pesos $698.

The economies as of 2015 estimates at current market value are:

Chile:

GDP (nominal) = US$223.463 billion (current prices).
GDP per capita (nominal) = US$12,410 (current prices).

Romania:

GDP (nominal) = US$173.521 billion (current prices).
GDP per capita (nominal) = US$8,736 (current prices).

Portugal:

GDP (nominal) = US$197.620 billion (current prices).
GDP per capita (nominal) = US$18,994 (current prices).

Source: https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft...GDPPC&grp=0&a=

So as you can see Chile's per capita is above but nearer to Romania's than to Portugal's, not the frivolity you spew such as:

Quote:
What really sets Chile apart from the region is precisely it's low-ish poverty. It may not be as developed as the UK but certainly more developed than Portugal and possibly Greece.
Quote:
=There are slums and there are slums...

Anyway here are some pics...

PORTUGAL:

Finally the sometimes laughable UN's HDI method is only just catching up with reality. In 2014 Cuba's HDI was 0.815 and Libya's was higher than Brazil's. You need to take theses indicators with a pinch of salt although year on year they seem to be getting better and at least coming into line with reality.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:09 AM

16,131 posts, read 10,808,224 times
I've never been to Chile but I was talking with a knowledgeable Peruvian gentleman in Lima a few years ago and going over some of the past political and economic experiences in Peru. He made the point that Chile benefited from the large influx of German immigrants decades ago who brought a sense of discipline and efficiency to the country that is lacking in Peru and some other South American countries. That may have served them well as a means of earlier development. That was his perspective. That also could be a 'cop out' excuse.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I've never been to Chile but I was talking with a knowledgeable Peruvian gentleman in Lima a few years ago and going over some of the past political and economic experiences in Peru. He made the point that Chile benefited from the large influx of German immigrants decades ago who brought a sense of discipline and efficiency to the country that is lacking in Peru and some other South American countries. That may have served them well as a means of earlier development. That was his perspective. That also could be a 'cop out' excuse.
Costa Rica a few years back had better social indicators than Chile with no German influence. German immigration to Brazil makes what Chile received insignificant - therefore, yes, it's a cop-out.

There is something to be said about German efficiency and ingenuity however; two of Colombia's biggest companies, Avianca (the second earliest commercial airline in the world) and Bavaria (one of the major stakes in the largest drinks company in the world) were both founded by German immigrants - so maybe there's a little truth but its by no means the pivotal reason.

Old 02-20-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Where on earth are you getting your economic data from? You're forgetting the slump in the Chilean currency. At current market rates of the Chilean currency i.e. US$1 = Chilean Pesos $698.

The economies as of 2015 estimates at current market value are:

Chile:

GDP (nominal) = US$223.463 billion (current prices).
GDP per capita (nominal) = US$12,410 (current prices).

Romania:

GDP (nominal) = US$173.521 billion (current prices).
GDP per capita (nominal) = US$8,736 (current prices).

Portugal:

GDP (nominal) = US$197.620 billion (current prices).
GDP per capita (nominal) = US$18,994 (current prices).

So as you can see Chile's per capita is above but nearer to Romania's than to Portugal's, not the frivolity you spew such as:
First rule of debating: DONT LIE.

You can easily check that Chile's nominal GDP was 12k six whole years ago. You know this, yet you bend truth in order to "be right".

You should know very well that the GDP controls the exchange rate, not the other way around!!! Can you imagine countries constantly having huge gdp variations throughout the year?! LOL! GDP would be a completely useless measurement!! Remember, GDP controls exchange, not the other way around. Nominal GDP is ALWAYS measured using local currency. The exchange takes place once a year using currency appreciation or depreciation in % against the former year.

If you are going to lecture me in economics, then I suggest you read ahead before making "frivolous" statements.

So Portugal, Chile, CZ, Poland, Hungary, Greece are all playing in the same league while Romania is about 8-10 years behind.

Edit: OH, and if you were right and Chile had the same economy as Romania, then I don't think that Chile would be Visa waivered in the US and Canada and the rest of the world.

More EDIT:

Yeah, you have good point on HDI, it is sometimes laughable. I stand corrected on HDI

Last edited by MrPilot; 02-20-2016 at 04:58 PM..

Old 02-20-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Chile's economic "take-off" took place when Allende was "replaced" with Pinochet. The largest change in fiscal policy was layed out by Chileans who were diciples of Milton Friedman, Chicago university. The germans didn't migrate to Chile "decades" ago, but really "centuries" ago. Most german villages I saw were from 1820 or so.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.