Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2015, 09:30 PM

10,109 posts, read 14,980,095 times

Advertisements

Apparently Francisca Lachapelle, from Dominican Republic, won the Nuestra Belleza Latina 2015 (Our Latina Beauty 2015) contest. I don't follow these types of shows, so I'm completely clueless how they choose their winners, but I'm sure this show in particular may be a sign of the modern times regarding the changing concept of beauty in Latino communities.

Needless to say she isn't the first non-white Latina to win a beauty pageant. At least in Dominican Republic many others have won similar pageants, but I think this is the first time it happens in a Latino pageant in the USA, but I may be wrong.

Yaritza Reyes was Miss DR 2013 and represented the country at the Miss Universe pageant.

And the only Dominican to win the Miss Universe in 2003 recently got married and even had a child with a famous Dominican basketball player. She's from a very wealthy Dominican family. From what's known, none of the two families had issues with their relationship. Although people down there have been mixing for centuries, so its not as if this is something new.

There probably are more.

Obviously this change has been gradually introduced in many countries and all Latin American societies are not at the same level. Just to give one possible example, I think its still unheard of for say an Amerindian looking woman to win a Mexican beauty contest. But overall, I think the region is moving in the right direction where every type of beauty is given its justified recognition and not just one type.

At one time Dominican comedian Julio Zabala had a relationship with the famous Mexican Ana Barbara and they were criticized a lot in Mexico, even many of her own family members bluntly rejected the relationship. Supposedly the issue was Zabala's skin color. But I'm sure even in Mexico things are slowly changing.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-16-2015 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: read the sticky. 2 videos per post

Old 04-15-2015, 01:23 PM

844 posts, read 1,064,308 times
Most of Mexico's misses are/look mestizas. There have been a handful of Caucasians but not indigenous, Asian or blacks yet. The new Miss Mexico is a bit exotic looking and seems to be smart enough to do the job, hopefully she'll get the crown or get a decent placement.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:42 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,795,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Apparently Francisca Lachapelle, from Dominican Republic, won the Nuestra Belleza Latina 2015 (Our Latina Beauty 2015) contest. I don't follow these types of shows, so I'm completely clueless how they choose their winners, but I'm sure this show in particular may be a sign of the modern times regarding the changing concept of beauty in Latino communities.

[youtube]0lNX_Z9M4uc[/youtube]

Needless to say she isn't the first non-white Latina to win a beauty pageant. At least in Dominican Republic many others have won similar pageants, but I think this is the first time it happens in a Latino pageant in the USA, but I may be wrong.

Yaritza Reyes was Miss DR 2013 and represented the country at the Miss Universe pageant.
[youtube]5IrVg-IJ4BQ[/youtube]

And the only Dominican to win the Miss Universe in 2003 recently got married and even had a child with a famous Dominican basketball player. She's from a very wealthy Dominican family. From what's known, none of the two families had issues with their relationship. Although people down there have been mixing for centuries, so its not as if this is something new.

There probably are more.

Obviously this change has been gradually introduced in many countries and all Latin American societies are not at the same level. Just to give one possible example, I think its still unheard of for say an Amerindian looking woman to win a Mexican beauty contest. But overall, I think the region is moving in the right direction where every type of beauty is given its justified recognition and not just one type.

At one time Dominican comedian Julio Zabala had a relationship with the famous Mexican Ana Barbara and they were criticized a lot in Mexico, even many of her own family members bluntly rejected the relationship. Supposedly the issue was Zabala's skin color. But I'm sure even in Mexico things are slowly changing.
This is show is in the US where the image of 'Latina beauty' is different- it is the face of JLo, Zoe Saldana, Michelle Rodriguez, America Ferrera, and Eva Longoria, etc....

So to a certain extent, that influence has broken a little of that generic beauty pageant mold so prevalent in LA.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-16-2015 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 04-15-2015, 02:27 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,248,746 times
If I could show you guys a picture of my Argentine wife....you'd be blown away....
Argentine women are some of the most beautiful women on the planet....and I married one!

And she's a blonde....well not a natural one LOL

Old 04-15-2015, 06:58 PM

67 posts, read 88,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post

There probably are more.

Don't get your hopes up man. White features are the most desired traits in Latin America and coming in second would be mestizo looking women and last is blacks or black mixes. It is what it is.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-16-2015 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 04-15-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
If I could show you guys a picture of my Argentine wife....you'd be blown away....
Argentine women are some of the most beautiful women on the planet....and I married one!

And she's a blonde....well not a natural one LOL
I have no doubt your wife is beautiful but I find Colombian women the best looking in all of Latin America myself. Medellin is full of the most gorgeous women I have ever seen. Your neck begins hurting from the constant turns as pretty girl after pretty girl walks by.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:14 AM

My best friend, who is from the US, his wife is from Medellin....and man is she a fantastic cook as well! I mentioned this in one of the other threads...

Old 04-16-2015, 07:03 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,973,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA1 View Post
I have no doubt your wife is beautiful but I find Colombian women the best looking in all of Latin America myself. Medellin is full of the most gorgeous women I have ever seen. Your neck begins hurting from the constant turns as pretty girl after pretty girl walks by.
Most is plastic surgery. The culture there is to get breast implants and nose jobs when you turn 15 and liposuction throughout your life. I know people who have charged their surgeries to credit cards and others who spend their inheritance money on breast implants. There is a lot of pressure there to get plastic surgery.

I did know some natural beauties when I was a teenager there but they were not the norm. Most people I knew were average and below average looking people like in other countries of the world.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Most is plastic surgery. The culture there is to get breast implants and nose jobs when you turn 15 and liposuction throughout your life. I know people who have charged their surgeries to credit cards and others who spend their inheritance money on breast implants. There is a lot of pressure there to get plastic surgery.

I did know some natural beauties when I was a teenager there but they were not the norm. Most people I knew were average and below average looking people like in other countries of the world.
Argentina is the plastic surgery capital of the world.....

Old 04-16-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
Argentina is the plastic surgery capital of the world.....
I always though it was South Korea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.