Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 06:39 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,247,003 times

Advertisements

No it has nothing to do with paranoia...

But everyone paints Arg, and even to some extent, Brazil as some kind of "live and let live" crime free utopian paradise...just because some survey from a news organization, think tank, or corrupted political org like the ONU or the UN says so.

I'm the only one that lives here, and has lived here for years and has seen things change, get dramatically worse and deteriorate. Insecurity, crime, violence, its the number 1 issue on the hearts and minds of Argentines, why? Becuase their living it and suffering from it and dealing with it everyday, unlike all the members of the debate club here.

Im the only pointing it out, the reality of it, its not pleasant to live behind bars, do you? More and more, most argentines do, live behind a maze of security bars, alarms, cameras, as do brazilians....what about you guys? How many of you live that way? Thats what I thought. You guys just debate and argue about it, and criticize me....yet I have experienced it and live it, as has most others down here.

Im the only pointing these things out, and I am gonna continue. I have argentines and latinos and folks daily sending me pms and remarking on my comments thanking me for pointing these things out. Im Not making stuff up...dont ask the numbers posters on the forum, catch a plane come down, start asking people, Brazil for that matter as well, Uruguay any of them. Dont ask fat cat wealthy expats living in paradise lane in some posh gated community or expensive high rise apartment in Rio or Buenos Aires, ask everyday folks.....do it I encourage you. Put away the encyclopedias and statistics and graphs and get on a freaken plane and live here for 10-12

Go and move to one of these small towns in Brazil, put yourself out there, get to know people ask, listen learn about their life, instead of rwading some publication or news article 8,000 miles away.

If crime is bad in many of the smaller towns, like its getting here too...dont oy think its probably already bad in the larger cities...as in really bad. Even I dont need to read about it to figure that out. But no, everyones wants to ponder, to understand, "how can this be"? Propsterous, impossible"! Yeah, well...just get on a plane, let it all go and come here and live here for 10-12 years or more. Not 2 weeks, not 2 months, not 1 year...but a LONG time. Dont draw on things from 20 years ago either, some of you that may be lived here way back when....come back now, see it for yourself...come down live here, get a job, put your pants on like everyone else...that will change your perspective really quick.

Many arg and others from other countries here, publicly on the forum have remained quiet, but privately theyve pmmed me saying that I am right, but wont admit to it on the forum be cause theyre embarassed about it. I understand, talking about the dirty underwear of the way things are going in your own country for many is unpleasant, and its an embarassment for some, but theyve told me (because they live here) that I am right, just are embarassed to talk about. Two of them have exp crime themselves in much the same manner. My wife doesnt like it either...she hates talking about it, but she also agrees.
Im done
Ive said my peace.

Last edited by EricOldTime; 04-18-2015 at 07:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 08:27 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,101,174 times
Eric, I dont know anyone who paints Brazil as a crime free paradise. It is to Brazil's credit that people are still excited by the country in spite of its rather well known crime issues. I will agree that Argentina has not generally been regarded as one of Latin America's rougher countries but this is a Brazil thread. Indeed, there are Brazilians living in Brazil who have posted in this thread so are we getting a local perspective. It may not be a ghetto Brazilian perspective but its the best we can do in this situation and it is authentic.

As for me, I have never lived in Latin America but I did grow up in Kingston, Jamaica...a place that would never be confused with Mayberry. I respect your experience in Latin America but saying that you are the only one who has experienced certain conditions is presumptuous. I can tell that you are under incredible stress in Argentina. I wish you well. Take time to enjoy yourself. Its important. You will notice that people in these types of countries party hard. Dangerous places are always more full of life. Live a full life because you never know when the end will come. It is an important personality adjustment that one must make to survive in these places.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:16 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,433,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Farro, right?

My general feeling of it, is it just sounds like upbeat feel-good music with a great beat. But, you said their music is 'the worst thing of the world you can't imagine', does that imply the lyrics are violent? What do you mean by that?
You mean Forró? Not only.
The new sensation is Arrocha. Enjoy:

Old 04-18-2015, 06:24 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
You mean Forró? Not only.
The new sensation is Arrocha. Enjoy:
Yes, that's it. Forró.

It's always sounded happy and upbeat to me...still does.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:42 PM

Now the other end:

The cities with pop. at least 300 thousand with the lowest crime rates(In Brazil):
1º – Maringá (PR)
2º – Joinville (SC)
3º – Juiz de Fora (MG)
4º – Pelotas (RS)
5º – Franca (SP)
6º – Petrópolis (RJ)
7º – Montes Claros (MG)
8º – S. José do Rio Preto (SP)
9º – Bauru (SP)
10º – Uberlândia (MG)

Old 04-19-2015, 01:01 PM

For who can read in portuguese this article is interesting: Rio e São Paulo não são mais donas da violência no Brasil | EXAME.com

Old 04-19-2015, 03:42 PM

71 posts, read 79,388 times
Quote:
Now the other end:

The cities with pop. at least 300 thousand with the lowest crime rates(In Brazil):
1º – Maringá (PR)
2º – Joinville (SC)
3º – Juiz de Fora (MG)
4º – Pelotas (RS)
5º – Franca (SP)
6º – Petrópolis (RJ)
7º – Montes Claros (MG)
9º – Bauru (SP)
10º – Uberlândia (MG)

Link?

For example Londrina has lower homicides than Joinville now in 2015. 31 vs 11. Florianopolis has best numbers too.

Joinville tem o primeiro trimestre mais violento da década, aponta levantamento - Polícia - Diário Catarinense

Old 04-19-2015, 05:00 PM

If its the most violent in the decade is because the numbers were lower. The last national ranking is the one I posted.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:00 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Now the other end:

1º – Maringá (PR)
2º – Joinville (SC)
3º – Juiz de Fora (MG)
4º – Pelotas (RS)
5º – Franca (SP)
6º – Petrópolis (RJ)
7º – Montes Claros (MG)
9º – Bauru (SP)
10º – Uberlândia (MG)
Small town Sao Paulo State and Minas Geraias look good! the further south, I guess.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:10 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That's crazy. What kind of violence goes in in the small towns?

The United States has an enormous amount of violence as well, but it's usually centered around the drug trade, drug money, urban-based gangs, etc. It's still relatively unusual to have rampant violence in small U.S. towns.

So, it makes me curious what it is about Brazil that would also have so much violence in small towns???
Based on what I have read and seen on TV about Brazil it's not much different than in Colombia or Venezuela and possibly other countries in Latin America:

- Impunity, many homicides are never investigated let alone taken to court

- A culture of violence, people get angry & resort to homicide b/c that's what everybody else is doing.

- Gangs fighting for drug territory. Latin Americans are also drug consumers & drugs are more accessible b/c they are produced in the area.

-Corruption & Poverty. It's easy to buy someone who doesn't get paid much money so you don't have to pay for your own crimes. Leads to impunity.

-Easy access to guns. Too many firearms in the Americas, killing with a gun is faster & has a higher success rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas