Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 12:19 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,434,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
Also, wasn't in the news recently about some cannibalistic serial killer guy there? The argentines tell me that Brazil is full of voodoo and witchcraft, lot's of santeria and weird satanic stuff....ALOT. Northern argentina is the same way...
My goodness, you are really paranoic.
Afro-brazilian religions are very different from what you think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post

The violence in Brazil totally out of control. I might not have live them but have read enough and heard enough testimonies to see that things are not getting better. The government there wants to present the country as a place that is recovering from its violent past but numerous sources and people can tell you things are just the same, if not worse.
Actualy what is being said is that in most areas things are A LOT worse. I some areas it got better. I dont see manipulations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 01:04 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,247,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
My goodness, you are really paranoic.
Afro-brazilian religions are very different from what you think...

Actualy what is being said is that in most areas things are A LOT worse. I some areas it got better. I dont see manipulations.
Well, I'm talking about witchcraft, voodoo or satanism.....you can call it whatever you want... You know hexes, potions magic, trances, voodoo dolls, creepy weird mix of catholicism and stuff. That's what I'm talking about.

Everyone here says it's a big deal in Brazil, quite rampant.

Last edited by EricOldTime; 04-20-2015 at 01:13 PM..

Old 04-20-2015, 01:50 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Quote:
Well, I'm talking about witchcraft, voodoo or satanism.....you can call it whatever you want... You know hexes, potions magic, trances, voodoo dolls, creepy weird mix of catholicism and stuff. That's what I'm talking about.

I doubt those people really affect crime statistics and I also doubt many people in those religions, cults or whatever we wanna call them are engaging in murder. Yes maybe many play with potions, herbs and all that stuff but murdering as a ritual? I doubt it, unless the person is really sick in the head. There's crazies everywhere.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:07 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
Same here. Brazil is significantly worse. 20 years ago, cities like João Pessoa & Maceió were nowhere near a Top 10 dangerous cities in the world list.

I haven't seen any articles anywhere that say Brazil is better. I think COLOMBIA might get those stories about COLOMBIA being better. Again, different countries, different stories. This thread is collecting a lot of posters stating OTHER place's issues (Argentina and Colombia)...but we're talking Brazil here. It's a different story, different issues, different situation.

I'm in agreement with you, Mr. Falcon, Brazil doesn't have any stories about it being better than before. Zero, zilch, nada.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 04-21-2015 at 01:16 AM..

Old 04-21-2015, 01:14 AM

Quote:

Candomblé? It's been around a very long time, and mostly Salvador. It's brought from Africa, and I wouldn't say that is the problem with João Pessoa & Maceió at all.

Mostly because João Pessoa & Maceió don't really even have sizeable African-Brazilian populations.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:09 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Same here. Brazil is significantly worse. 20 years ago, cities like João Pessoa & Maceió were nowhere near a Top 10 dangerous cities in the world list.

I haven't seen any articles anywhere that say Brazil is better. I think COLOMBIA might get those stories about COLOMBIA being better. Again, different countries, different stories. This thread is collecting a lot of posters stating OTHER place's issues (Argentina and Colombia)...but we're talking Brazil here. It's a different story, different issues, different situation.

I'm in agreement with you, Mr. Falcon, Brazil doesn't have any stories about it being better than before. Zero, zilch, nada.
It has been discussed multiple times in this thread that the "reported" homicide rate "has dropped" in Sao Paulo and Rio. I personally don't know why people just use homicide statistics to judge an area's total crime. You moved to Brazil fairly recently, actually you might not be living there anymore. How many people did you know there? Living there 6 months is not the same as living there your whole life, the longer you live there, the more chances you have of being a crime victim. Have you asked around how many people have been victims of violent robberies, and home invasions? Because I have heard Brazilians complain about crime for a very long time.

As long as someone doesn't mind getting mugged/robbed once every few years or the occasional home invasion and you can afford to live outside the poor neighborhoods then that person shouldn't have problems with Brazil or even most Latin American countries. Being a victim of homicide is rare, especially if you live in an affluent area and don't mess with the wrong people, but of course the chances are higher than in the US or Europe.

And if this is not a credible source, I don't know what is. This is not different from what you see in Argentina, Venezuela, Colombia, Mexico you name it. Same tactics.

https://www.osac.gov/Pages/ContentRe...aspx?cid=13521

https://www.osac.gov/Pages/ContentRe...aspx?cid=15422

"The U.S. Department of State rates the criminal threat for São Paulo as “critical.Although statistics show that crime is decreasing in some areas, crime levels in the state of São Paulo remain high. Much of São Paulo’s crime and violence can be attributed to mobile street gangs and organized crime groups operating throughout the state. Notably, an underground battle between the Military Police (Policia Militar or “PM”) and the First Capitol Command (PCC) gang reignited in the past year.

The crimes of most concern to consulate employees and Americans in Brazil include "express" kidnappings, carjackings, virtual kidnappings and home/restaurant invasions."

Old 04-21-2015, 07:29 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Why do people keep getting sucked into this kind of click-bait? Those cities are not dangerous at all. They just happen to harbor an underworld that, in the middle of the night, is a bit rambunctious. For people who live and work there, they are no more dangerous than anywhere else. Sure, one person out of a thousand gets murdered, but those victims are all people who are hanging out with known murderers, having chosen that lifestyle. For the other 999 people, they just go about their daily business, as contented and peacefully as anybody else in the world. I've been in half of those cities, and there is nothing going on that would be dangerous for ordinary citizens or visitors.

All of the cities in this crapola list are based on exactly one criteria -- murder rate per capita. In every city in the world, only one crime victim out of several hundred turns up in the murder statistic, so the number of murders is a tiny, tiny irrelevancy in the metric of the overall safety of any city.

Which city would you feel safer in: One with the highest number of underworld murders and executions taking place among drug dealers in the back alleys in the middle of the night, of one with the highest number of burglars breaking into people's houses while they're gone to work in the daytime?

Last edited by jtur88; 04-21-2015 at 07:41 AM..

Old 04-21-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
It has been discussed multiple times in this thread that the "reported" homicide rate "has dropped" in Sao Paulo and Rio.
That's true. Again, different cities, different situations. Yes, Rio & Sao Paulo has decreased in crime. But, this thread is specifically about João Pessoa & Maceió.

But, yeah, that is true. Sao Paulo and Rio used to be the 'bad boys' in Brazil with the serious crime problems. The Northeast never was. Those statistics have changed drastically, in inverse proportions.

Hence, the reason I created this thread, to discuss specifically about that very thing.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 04-21-2015 at 07:41 AM..

Old 04-21-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
You moved to Brazil fairly recently, actually you might not be living there anymore. How many people did you know there? Living there 6 months is not the same as living there your whole life, the longer you live there, the more chances you have of being a crime victim. Have you asked around how many people have been victims of violent robberies, and home invasions? Because I have heard Brazilians complain about crime for a very long time.

As long as someone doesn't mind getting mugged/robbed once every few years or the occasional home invasion and you can afford to live outside the poor neighborhoods then that person shouldn't have problems with Brazil or even most Latin American countries.
*SIGH*. I don't know what you are implying? It sounds like you are under the impression that I think Brazil is crime-free? What makes you think I haven't experienced violent robberies and crime already in South America. I have.

Please don't make that assumption, or imply that I think things that I don't.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 04-21-2015 at 08:20 AM..

Old 04-21-2015, 07:41 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,247,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Why do people keep getting sucked into this kind of click-bait? Those cities are not dangerous at all. They just happen to harbor an underworld that, in the middle of the night, is a bit rambunctious. For people who live and work there, they are no more dangerous than anywhere else. Sure, one person out of a thousand gets murdered, but those victims are all people who are hanging out with known murderers, having chosen that lifestyle. For the other 999 people, they just go about their daily business, as contented and peacefully as anybody else in the world. I've been in half of those cities, and there is nothing going on that would be dangerous for ordinary citizens or visitors.
My GOD ignorance is total bliss.....

If you think that crime down here is just delegated to only "the middle of the night by a rambunctious few" you are quite terribly TERRIBLY misinformed.... actually, I find your observation a bit offensive to be quite honest....especially since I know different. You'd be surprised by how much crime and delinquency down here actually happens quite comfortably during the middle of the day, all day long and every day...

The innocent victim who get's shot in the face for a few 1000 reales by some trigger happy punk that breaks into her home? Do you think she's part of the "underworld" just passes the time hanging out with criminals and murderers, so it's likely her fault "guilty of association" as you say? When they shoot an 11 year old girl in the leg and execute her father in cold blood during a robbery over a laptop computer and a few thousand pesos in savings, high on "paco"...I mean "guilty of association" in your eyes right?

It's not just an underworld..it's WAY more than that. Shows how little you know.. It used to be that the smaller cities and towns were immune to the big city issues here in latin america and in some areas they are...for now. However, it's rapidly changing, as this thread has pointed out.

It's obvious you've never lived here.."been in" but never lived in.....gheeze...soo many forum experts, so little experience. Maybe you should've picked up the local newspaper and read about it....or watched some local Brazilian TV...oh wait...you don't speak Portuguese...my bad. How could you know ...right?

That's right....

Your attitude is the classic narcisstic: "Hey it didn't affect ME so how bad could it be?" I mean...it's all about me, so as long as it doesn't happen to me, life is good?

It's incredible how time after time again, somebody after a visit or a short stint living in Brazil or wherever down here is suddenly an "expert" on what life is like in a given area. Just because YOU didn't experience something, or anything during the day, or at all, doesn't mean you have the right to get pompous and just dissmiss it. Quite the contrary....because it is a serious issue down here and one affecting ALOT of people. People in latin america are VERY concerned about crime and ALOT. If anything, there's a danger of becoming numb to it because of the frequency of "accepting it as the norm" and the "rule and not the exception"

Tt's exactly these kind of statements, the worst of all, spoken in defiance and ignorance that really stick in my craw.

Tiger Beer says: *SIGH*. I don't know what you are implying? It sounds like you are under the impression that I think Brazil is crime-free? What makes you think I haven't experienced violent robberies and crime already in South America. I have. It's everywhere throughout South America, and I don't think I've ever met anyone who wasn't effected by it.

He's exactly right, myself included "I've experienced it personally" here...it's real, it's frequent, very frequent and it's deteriorating.

Last edited by EricOldTime; 04-21-2015 at 08:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas