Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 01:35 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times

Advertisements

João Pessoa & Maceió - Make Top 10 dangerous cities in the world - whatever happened to Northeast Brazil?

10 Most Dangerous Cities in the World | Travel & Places - Part 10

It used to be Rio and Sao Paulo as the most dangerous, now they seem relatively safe compared to all of those small urban areas of the Northeast?

Is it JUST drugs? Is there more of an American gang culture mentality? Does American music have an influence? What is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 06:27 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,247,569 times
All I hear about here from Argentines is how Brazil is sketchy "period" but then Argentina is heading that way as well....regardless of what the naysayer "know-nothings" here on this forum "who can't even speak the language" are going to tell you.

It's the same everywhere now, extreme leftist gov'ts and drugs have exasperated everything.....and it's not getting better. My Brazilian friend "Renaldo" who works in the office with me says "Recife" is a very insecure city...

The insecurity is getting worse, it's growing, it's spreading, criminals are emboldened by cheap, yet profitable drugs and corrupt judiciaries and laws that are rarely enforced. My city in Argentina traditionally was considered to be very safe.....not anymore and people are quite saddened about it, it's the talk of the town around here about how bad it's getting.

If you don't like things now, wait about 10 more years, I can only imagine about how bad it's getting. I was talking to another friend and he said it was in the news that a record number of Argentines are applying for US immigration visas this year, it's more than doubled. One of the main reasons cited was growing economic insecurity and the rising crime...... Brazil is not immune either

Old 04-17-2015, 09:21 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,434,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Is it JUST drugs?
Basically. But the Northeast has never been a safe place. Its history is pure violence.
The "leftist" made a change about condemning the clandestine justice that was always part of the reality there. Years ago the violence use to came from the upside, and and when it came from down the figure was imediatelly killed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Is there more of an American gang culture mentality? Does American music have an influence? What is it?
Not at all. In Northeast they basically listen to their own music that is the worst thing of the world you can't imagine. Generally music from the Northeast is made and consumed there without leaving far way from its borders, with some exceptions that get until other regions to shame them.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:47 AM

Contrary to what is generally said, violence in Brazil is not on the main cities only.
Take a look ate the most 500 violents towns in Brazil (the list only covers towns that have more than 10 thousand inhabitants).

As 500 cidades mais perigosas do Brasil

Old 04-17-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
Contrary to what is generally said, violence in Brazil is not on the main cities only.
Take a look ate the most 500 violents towns in Brazil (the list only covers towns that have more than 10 thousand inhabitants).

As 500 cidades mais perigosas do Brasil
Yeah, in Argentina it's trending this way also... sounds just like how it is here...

The Atlantic coastal cities of Argentina: "Villa Gesell" "Pinamar" "Mar del PLata" "Nicochea" are beginning to experience huge increases in insecurity as well...and they aren't really major cities with the exception of only "1"

Part of the problem ( at least this is what I'm hearing ) is the argentine govt's idea of dismantling "villas" from the major cities and transporting them and relocating them on the fringes of smaller "interior" provincial cities in Argentina in new housing projects.

One area they have done this recently is near the coastal cities of "Pinamar" and "Villa Gesell" and many of the locals were up in arms about it and have said it's no doubt contributed to the sudden dramatic rise in local crime and delincuency. Yet these cities are seasonal" seeing population growth during the summer months and vacation times, dwindling to near nothing during the winter.

Even smaller Buenos Aires Provincial cities like "Tandil" have seen insecurity increases in recent years.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:44 AM

Brazil is assuredly living a moral crisis. I dont believe that crime was less in the past . But the status quo has changed and this crisis is, from my point of view, an adaptation of this. In Northeast , for exemple, the "order" was established by the "coronels " , that nowadays are not as powerful as the they were. Brazil 's recent democracy has expressed many rights, but people still dont have the consciousness citizen of the balance between rights and duties . The missing of the concept that my rights end where the other begins is the key to understand current Brazil, from the politics to its population .

Old 04-17-2015, 11:35 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,897,156 times
Quote:
Basically. But the Northeast has never been a safe place. Its history is pure violence.
The "leftist" made a change about condemning the clandestine justice that was always part of the reality there. Years ago the violence use to came from the upside, and and when it came from down the figure was imediatelly killed.

Not at all. In Northeast they basically listen to their own music that is the worst thing of the world you can't imagine. Generally music from the Northeast is made and consumed there without leaving far way from its borders, with some exceptions that get until other regions to shame them.

How so? Would you care to elaborate?

Old 04-17-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Brazil is assuredly living a moral crisis. I dont believe that crime was less in the past . But the status quo has changed and this crisis is, from my point of view, an adaptation of this. In Northeast , for exemple, the "order" was established by the "coronels " , that nowadays are not as powerful as the they were. Brazil 's recent democracy has expressed many rights, but people still dont have the consciousness citizen of the balance between rights and duties . The missing of the concept that my rights end where the other begins is the key to understand current Brazil, from the politics to its population .
Well this is endemic of alot of latin america, not just Brazil....

The only way to understand it is to be either born and raised here, or have lived here for many years and understand the culture, the people and the way they think and act. Outsiders won't get it

Old 04-17-2015, 01:13 PM

3,983 posts, read 6,791,114 times
What happened to Northeastern Brazil is the same that happened to all of Brazil and Latin America: the expansion of drug trafficking meets the very lax criminal codes of Brazil and the other countries of Latin America.

Latin America is the continent that has the most lax criminal codes in the world, the most "benevolent" laws for criminals.

When drug trafficking expands in the continent, the result couldn't be other...

By the way, Northeastern Brazil isn't THAT dangerous for common people. It is dangerous indeed, but not THAT dangerous.

As I said millions of times in this forum, and I keep repeating: those "most dangerous places" rankings are always based on homicide rates. And homicide rates don't take in account how and why the homicides happen, and who are the "victims".

And for the 1000th time, I have to repeat: 95% of murder "victims" in Latin America are people connected to the criminal underworld. Of course that common people also get murdered some times, but are a small minority of the cases.

That said, yes, there are more armed robberies here in Northeastern Brazil than I wish there were, but that's not an exclusivity of the Northeast, the number of armed robberies is the same in all of Brazil. And armedd robberies have nothing to do with homicides, so don't expect those "most dangerous places" rankings to even take in account armed robberies.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
What happened to Northeastern Brazil is the same that happened to all of Brazil and Latin America: the expansion of drug trafficking meets the very lax criminal codes of Brazil and the other countries of Latin America.

Latin America is the continent that has the most lax criminal codes in the world, the most "benevolent" laws for criminals.

When drug trafficking expands in the continent, the result couldn't be other...

By the way, Northeastern Brazil isn't THAT dangerous for common people. It is dangerous indeed, but not THAT dangerous.

As I said millions of times in this forum, and I keep repeating: those "most dangerous places" rankings are always based on homicide rates. And homicide rates don't take in account how and why the homicides happen, and who are the "victims".

And for the 1000th time, I have to repeat: 95% of murder "victims" in Latin America are people connected to the criminal underworld. Of course that common people also get murdered some times, but are a small minority of the cases.

That said, yes, there are more armed robberies here in Northeastern Brazil than I wish there were, but that's not an exclusivity of the Northeast, the number of armed robberies is the same in all of Brazil. And armedd robberies have nothing to do with homicides, so don't expect those "most dangerous places" rankings to even take in account armed robberies.
VERY well said....finally someone on this forum who has a brain and actually knows a little something about latin america.... unlike a few other posters...er..."posers" here who I won't mention by name...

Also, as I've mentioned 1000X's as well: don't forget to take into account that traditonally crime is grossly under reported as well in latin-america. This is because of a general, deep rooted mistrust for all law enforcement, including judges because of such rampant corruption.

The common people may be in the minority currently, at least right now, but it's definately growing and it's getting worse. I don't think it's actually that high. It's unbelievable the amount of people that are actually being killed in armed home invasions here, being killed for nothing...it's growing this trend, more than you think. I know because I'm reading about it more and more everyday. Criminals here have alot to gain and little to lose. The probability of them actually doing any real jail time is little to none, laws rarely enforced, corrupt police and they know that the public is aware of the crime problems and are very afraid.

Here in Argentina: "The public lives locked behind bars on their windows and doors more and more...while the thieves and criminals roam the streets freely"

How's that for irony? Yet a few jokers on this forum who like to run their mouths off accuse me of making stuff up? Listen, I live here, as in south america....for MANY years....none of my accusers do, or ever really have. I speak the language, work here, I married into an Argentine family...none of my accusers ever have. I'll be glad to take any ONE of you for a walk down the two city blocks next to my home and ask folks how things really are and what really goes on. Shameful....

And I know MANY parts of Brazil MANY, including ALL major cities and most secondary cities have serious crime issues and people are very concerned. Anyone who tells you differently is either a bold faced liar or DOESN'T know what they are talking about!

Here's basically what it's like to walk down the street in a neighborhood near where I live. By the way, even these iron security bars aren't a full guarantee that you still won't be burglarized, you still need a LOUD alarm system, preferrably one connected to all the homes on the entire block ( becoming very popular here. Some of the thieves use "car jacks" and other tools to "pop" the "reja" or force it open enough to slip in...and believe me, they are well practiced and can do it quickly. Happens alot, very typical. I suspect in Brazil it's much the same:
[MOD CUT/copyright violation]

Should be mentioned, alot of common people here are murdered also because they "saw" or "heard" something....another reason why people don't report alot of the stuff. Reprisal crimes and killings here are fairly common occurances. When my house was burglarized I was pissed and the "fiscal" was trying to get me to press charges against these knuckleheads that broke into my home and terrorized me and my family. However my brother-in-law and father-in-law talked me out of it said it was "crazy" and "reckless" to do that here.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-23-2015 at 08:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas