Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 04:19 PM

552 posts, read 1,060,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Never Sleeps View Post
Especially a video from a Showtime erotic drama series from Playboy Entertainment.

[QUOTE My Brazil, from the perspective of a visiting businessman, is a world of offices and highrises and bad traffic and good coffee, along with glimpses of Favelas and warnings about not leaving my hotel at night. But they do have beautiful women.
Let's see if I can unpack that for you. Firstly, I didn't say it was representative of Brazil. I said "Why I Love Brazil - It's Exotic." Consider, that was 20 years ago when I was a young man of 50.

Memorandum of Clarification (MOC) in business-speak: It was 20 years ago that the Red Shoes Diaries video was made. It was almost 50 years ago I lived in Itacare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 09:45 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,809,750 times
Brazil is just Brazil- a country with tall people, short people, dark people, white people, nice people, a-holes, great music, horrible music, good food, bad food.

Its like all other countries and like all other people.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Brazil is just Brazil- a country with tall people, short people, dark people, white people, nice people, a-holes, great music, horrible music, good food, bad food.

Its like all other countries and like all other people.
So its a waste of time to travel, that's tired.

“If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home.” – James Michener

“Stuff your eyes with wonder, live as if you’d drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It’s more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories.” – Ray Bradbury

Old 04-25-2015, 12:51 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,848,030 times
I don't find Brazil exotic at all

To me exotic is where I live, in Namibia. Here I feel like I am in another world with the desert and the tribes living in the middle of the desert, elephants on the wilderness, zebras crossing the roads. that is exotic to me

I also lived in Switzerland, and they were exotic to my colombian eyes, with their blonde hair, and their green mountains and glaciers, with pristine lakes with cristal clear water and chocolate and cheese.

but Brazil is very normal to me, I don't find them exotic at all, maybe because a lot of the things they do that people think it's exotic we do in Colombia as well

beaches, warm weather, tropical jungles, good looking women in tiny bikinis etc.

but if you come from the USA and you're used to American lifestyle with the religious prudish attitude and the big suburbias with pretty green lawns and big skyscrapers and giant cars with fancy shopping malls and friendly people smiling then aplace like brazil will seem exotic.

Old 04-25-2015, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
I don't find Brazil exotic at all

I am Colombian maybe that influences my view of Brazil, to me exotic is Namibia where I live, or Switzerland in Europe I lived there, but Brazil is very normal to me, I don't find them exotic at all, maybe because a lot of the things they do that people think it's exotic we do in Colombia as well

beaches, warm weather, tropical jungles, good looking women in tiny bikinis etc.
I noted, while living in Brazil, where we in the U.S.A would have calendars with tropical beach scenes, lush jungle and coconut palms, Brazilians might have calendars featuring tulips in Holland or views of the Alps.

Exotic | Definition of exotic by Merriam-Webster

All things considered, there is very little difference between Cartagena and many Brazilian coastal cities.
Maybe because I lived in areas of Quimbanda and Macumba practices it struct me as exotic. I have to admit, my beautiful exotic girlfriend from Salvador Bahia became a university professor and certainly doesn't look very exotic now

Maybe exotic, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

I would have loved to have seen your eerie Skeleton Coast.

My chronic insomnia got the best of me tonight.

Rust

Old 04-25-2015, 11:18 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,809,750 times
Quote:

“If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home.” – James Michener

“Stuff your eyes with wonder, live as if you’d drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It’s more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories.” – Ray Bradbury
I never said anything about not traveling. IMO the more you travel, the more you realize how similar people are.

I guess something might be exotic when it is far away, different, unknown. You see a place through utopian eyes. But once you see the good, the bad, the ugly, the place becomes more normalized.

Old 04-25-2015, 02:56 PM

8,634 posts, read 13,043,459 times
Quote:

You do bring up a great point. For people who say things like "all countries are the same" then what's the point of traveling to different countries?

Old 04-30-2015, 02:56 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,257,718 times
Quote:
This is the best example, wait until the 11 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtCWA_75DhQ

If you have problems cracking this site, maybe your country doesn't allow, go here:

https://www.proxfree.com/youtube-proxy.php#MoreInfo

Rust
You love Brazil because you think the babes are hot and you think it's easy to get laid.... youre just afraid to admit it.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:13 PM

25,021 posts, read 28,008,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
You love Brazil because you think the babes are hot and you think it's easy to get laid.... youre just afraid to admit it.
LOL, that's what I say to people who have a Japan fetish. There's nothing exotic about Brazil to me

Old 04-30-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post

I had a premonition you’d read this post, which I guess makes me a clairvoyant too. I'm 70 years old, a life long musician and probably still have more snatch under my fingernails than you'll get in a lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas