Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 11:52 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,774,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Ok maybe I should consider Rio. If it were generally safe I would love to go to a place like that since it is a big city + a great location close to the beach. Maybe it isn't as dangerous as I have been led to believe. I honestly do not have a lot to go off since I have never been there.
That is why I suggested Rio in my first post with the caveat that you must like big cities if decide to live there. I visited there last year and I really liked it a lot. I would love to live there if I had the chance. I think the biggest issue is not safety but cost. Rio is an expensive city. Yes, there are "bad" parts of Rio like there are in any big city. But you would live/stay in the nice areas (assuming it meets your budget).

Ipanema, Leblon and Botofogo are all good areas in Rio. Ipanema and Leblon are very well to do areas. Botofogo is more middle class. Botofogo will be the cheaper of the three.

The only downside to Brazil is the language. You will be learning the local language but it will not have much application in the USA (like Spanish). That said, it is a beautiful country and the Portuguese language is beautiful as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 01:42 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,442,093 times
If the exchange rate keeps 1 dollar per 3 reais I think its possible to find a nice furnished rental in South Zone except for Ipanema or Leblon until US$1500 per month.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:39 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,896,045 times
And Guanajuato ? looks very picturesque!
https://www.google.fr/search?q=Guana...w=1293&bih=666

Old 04-27-2015, 08:12 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,256,211 times
ctr88 says:

From what EricOldTime says sounds like Buenos Aires and Santiago might be too hot Dec, Jan, Feb (I might be there as long as mid Oct to Mid May). I have heard good things about Medelin. Wherever I am I would want to feel pretty safe. I could not take the chance of my apartment being broken into and my laptop, etc... stolen, there would have to be almost no chance of this happening since I work remotely, so it would have to be a very secure building

Buenos Aires is more humid than Santiago de Chile so the heat is "different" although you'll still sweat your butt off in either one. However, i'd say that Buenos Aires "feels" more uncomfortable in the heat than Santiago. With Santiago you have the issue of the smog and air quality being more of a factor. Although the views of the Andes are "spectacular"

Regarding safety, here in Argentina, unless you live in a gated community or large high rise apartment with hired security in an upper class area, you're going to need a well lit, well secured home in a working class to upper middle class neighborhood. Avoid houses that stand "alone or "aloof" in the neighborhood and also street corner homes or apartments ( more frequent targeted ) Preferrably a house with front gates and iron barred doors ( called rejas ) and windows even up to the 2nd and potentially 3rd floors ( mainly if you have low hanging roof ledges that hang out over the street. Check mainly for smaller windows in the bathroom, or in back of the house, are they secure? Barred? Easy to get into? You need to take note of these things. Make sure that the backyard ( if you have one ) has an iron barred entry way as well, this is very important. The alarms needs to be a good one and MAKE sure that the realtor of wherever you buy or rent has a FUNCTIONAL alarm. Also, as soon as you move in, CHANGE the alarm security code so that it's different from the code that was used by the last tenants. If a realtor tries to sell you on ANY first floor or 2nd floor home that doesn't have a strong security curtain, iron bars, or alarm system, move along and DON'T purchase it or rent it, it's not worth the hassle. Let me make myself clear: If not, you're very much at risk for a robbery and you'd at least need to pay to make it secure which can cost "thousands of pesos" in cost, not including finding someone trustworthy to do the work who won't rip you off. What alot of times realtors don't tell you is many of these houses in Argentina were created as an investment to get "rid of money" to avoid paying taxes to the gov't, so, as a cheap investment, folks with money to get rid of, they build these apartments or little rental properties, houses. However, usually the bare minimum to "none" regarding security is implemented which puts you very much at risk. If you can rent or purchase a home in an area that has an "alarma vecinal" or "block alarm" ( these are alarms systems that are connected to all the houses/apartments on the block together and are very popular here, but expensive, everyone on the street pays for the system. However, the alarm goes off in one house, all the houses on the block go off simultaneously) these are much better. Alot of really serious crime here is being averted because of these newblock alarm systems. Also a large dog LOL. Some neighborhoods are hiring "street watchers" or guys that walk around all night checking on houses, but these guys are never cheap, plus, some also work for thieves. I'm laughing but besides the iron bars ALOT of folks here keep large dogs out front, or out back and for good reason. My neighbor across the street has 2 large rotweilers he keeps out front in his gated yard area and he frequently jokes about how he's had the least amount of problems of anyone on the block LOL!

Realtors ( martilleros publicos ) in Argentina are notoriously shady, they are very corrupt and are on the same par here as we consider lawyers, politicans and car salesmen back home so get ready. They will fleece you out of money any chance they get. I haven't met one yet in Argentina that was completely clean, so be prepared.

Also, in the beginning, when you first move in is really a time you need to be very aware. Vacancies are targeted quite frequently by thieves "chorros"here as they wait for new tenants to move in who aren't used to the new area, surroundings or rythyms of the new neighborhood so be on guard the first couple of months. Also, alot of times realtors hire cleaning companies and teams of individuals that come in and fix up the houses, rentals etc for cheap wages to paint stuff fix stuff. Well, they NEVER do background checks on these people and word on the street is that alot of them have priors and also work as informants for the thieves ( here the burglars buy "info" on areas, easy targets etc... usually from guys like this or from local people, sometimes even police ) often selling them on vacancies that are soon to be moved into and are easy targets. My wife and I have a couple of friends who moved into new houses and both were burglarized within the first week of moving in. One house it was discovered that the sensors on the window connected to the alarm and the alarm itself were "hot wired" by someone to not go off. Also they tried to get compensation for their stolen stuff from the realtor but insurance didn't cover it. So this house was "prepped" for a burglary. Wouldn't surprise me if it was someone that was hired to do some work inside, or even the realtors themselves. Don't take what I'm saying for granted, it's far more common here than you think. If they say the alarm was checked, don't take their word for it. demand that they hire a security company guy to come in and check it and sign off. Under most rentals or purchases you have the right under argentine law to demand this. The laws in Arg favor GREATLY the buyer or renter because of so much crap and corruption that goes on, so know your rights before you buy or rent. Finally, ask a few of the neighbors about burglaries or insecurities. Have they been hit? targeted? What about the house your looking at etc? Neighbors will always tell you about how things are going in the "barrio" Me and my wife didn't do that, and after our house was burglarized, our neighbors next door told us that our house had actually been burglarized "twice"a year before we moved in. Because of my mistakes, we had to invest $18,000 pesos in iron bars on our windows and doors and a new alarm system.

If you can afford an expensive apartment in a high rise or a posh house in a patrolled gated community, you'll fare far better. But living in these countries is far from "safe" as you might know it. Don't be naive and take things for granted, it's very different here, it's not a walk in the park. If you don't have street smarts are not used to living this way, you need to learn some quickly. You learn to be aware of everyone and everything around you, watch for things, who to trust, who not to trust. You don't live in fear, but you be smart and you take nothing and NOWHERE for granted down here. That's my best advice.

Your going to change and you're going to learn some hard lessons as well if you stay long enough. The quicker you can make some friends and learn the "do's and dont's" the better. You can't be a passive person living in latin america, if so, the people here, and life here will just roll over top of you. You have to be more assertive, more confrontational about things, especially when you want things done. You stand your ground, politely but you have to be firm here with everything in many situations. You have to be MUCH more patient, things take longer. Things that took you 15 minutes to do now take 2 hours, or longer. You also have to be persistent, if not things will get lax and you'll never get anything done.

If your serious about coming to Argentina, PM me or email me and I'll give it to you straight up, no bull. I've lived here for well over 10 years now, speak the language and am married into an argentine family..so let me know.

Santiago de Chile
https://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...1103-chile.png

Typical little river "beach" side park area along the "Rio de La Plata" in the northern burbs of Buenos Aires

Last edited by EricOldTime; 04-27-2015 at 08:41 AM..

Old 04-27-2015, 10:23 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,424,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
And Guanajuato ? looks very picturesque!
https://www.google.fr/search?q=Guana...w=1293&bih=666
I've been in that area of Mexico many years ago and it is really beautiful and quaint. There are some beautiful old colonial towns with great old Spanish historic architecture that dates back to the 1500's. But I'm looking for more balmy warm winter temps (U.S. winter) and I think that area is a little cooler in winter. Guanajuato is supposed to be a very intellectual town. I think there are a lot of expats in a town called San Miquel de Allende around there. Mexico has some other nice towns like Oaxaca, Cuenravaca, Puebla, just not sure they have the winter temps I'm looking for. But they are cool places indeed.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
ctr88 says:

From what EricOldTime says sounds like Buenos Aires and Santiago might be too hot Dec, Jan, Feb (I might be there as long as mid Oct to Mid May). I have heard good things about Medelin. Wherever I am I would want to feel pretty safe. I could not take the chance of my apartment being broken into and my laptop, etc... stolen, there would have to be almost no chance of this happening since I work remotely, so it would have to be a very secure building

Buenos Aires is more humid than Santiago de Chile so the heat is "different" although you'll still sweat your butt off in either one. However, i'd say that Buenos Aires "feels" more uncomfortable in the heat than Santiago. With Santiago you have the issue of the smog and air quality being more of a factor. Although the views of the Andes are "spectacular"

Regarding safety, here in Argentina, unless you live in a gated community or large high rise apartment with hired security in an upper class area, you're going to need a well lit, well secured home in a working class to upper middle class neighborhood. Avoid houses that stand "alone or "aloof" in the neighborhood and also street corner homes or apartments ( more frequent targeted ) Preferrably a house with front gates and iron barred doors ( called rejas ) and windows even up to the 2nd and potentially 3rd floors ( mainly if you have low hanging roof ledges that hang out over the street. Check mainly for smaller windows in the bathroom, or in back of the house, are they secure? Barred? Easy to get into? You need to take note of these things. Make sure that the backyard ( if you have one ) has an iron barred entry way as well, this is very important. The alarms needs to be a good one and MAKE sure that the realtor of wherever you buy or rent has a FUNCTIONAL alarm. Also, as soon as you move in, CHANGE the alarm security code so that it's different from the code that was used by the last tenants. If a realtor tries to sell you on ANY first floor or 2nd floor home that doesn't have a strong security curtain, iron bars, or alarm system, move along and DON'T purchase it or rent it, it's not worth the hassle. Let me make myself clear: If not, you're very much at risk for a robbery and you'd at least need to pay to make it secure which can cost "thousands of pesos" in cost, not including finding someone trustworthy to do the work who won't rip you off. What alot of times realtors don't tell you is many of these houses in Argentina were created as an investment to get "rid of money" to avoid paying taxes to the gov't, so, as a cheap investment, folks with money to get rid of, they build these apartments or little rental properties, houses. However, usually the bare minimum to "none" regarding security is implemented which puts you very much at risk. If you can rent or purchase a home in an area that has an "alarma vecinal" or "block alarm" ( these are alarms systems that are connected to all the houses/apartments on the block together and are very popular here, but expensive, everyone on the street pays for the system. However, the alarm goes off in one house, all the houses on the block go off simultaneously) these are much better. Alot of really serious crime here is being averted because of these newblock alarm systems. Also a large dog LOL. Some neighborhoods are hiring "street watchers" or guys that walk around all night checking on houses, but these guys are never cheap, plus, some also work for thieves. I'm laughing but besides the iron bars ALOT of folks here keep large dogs out front, or out back and for good reason. My neighbor across the street has 2 large rotweilers he keeps out front in his gated yard area and he frequently jokes about how he's had the least amount of problems of anyone on the block LOL!

Realtors ( martilleros publicos ) in Argentina are notoriously shady, they are very corrupt and are on the same par here as we consider lawyers, politicans and car salesmen back home so get ready. They will fleece you out of money any chance they get. I haven't met one yet in Argentina that was completely clean, so be prepared.

Also, in the beginning, when you first move in is really a time you need to be very aware. Vacancies are targeted quite frequently by thieves "chorros"here as they wait for new tenants to move in who aren't used to the new area, surroundings or rythyms of the new neighborhood so be on guard the first couple of months. Also, alot of times realtors hire cleaning companies and teams of individuals that come in and fix up the houses, rentals etc for cheap wages to paint stuff fix stuff. Well, they NEVER do background checks on these people and word on the street is that alot of them have priors and also work as informants for the thieves ( here the burglars buy "info" on areas, easy targets etc... usually from guys like this or from local people, sometimes even police ) often selling them on vacancies that are soon to be moved into and are easy targets. My wife and I have a couple of friends who moved into new houses and both were burglarized within the first week of moving in. One house it was discovered that the sensors on the window connected to the alarm and the alarm itself were "hot wired" by someone to not go off. Also they tried to get compensation for their stolen stuff from the realtor but insurance didn't cover it. So this house was "prepped" for a burglary. Wouldn't surprise me if it was someone that was hired to do some work inside, or even the realtors themselves. Don't take what I'm saying for granted, it's far more common here than you think. If they say the alarm was checked, don't take their word for it. demand that they hire a security company guy to come in and check it and sign off. Under most rentals or purchases you have the right under argentine law to demand this. The laws in Arg favor GREATLY the buyer or renter because of so much crap and corruption that goes on, so know your rights before you buy or rent. Finally, ask a few of the neighbors about burglaries or insecurities. Have they been hit? targeted? What about the house your looking at etc? Neighbors will always tell you about how things are going in the "barrio" Me and my wife didn't do that, and after our house was burglarized, our neighbors next door told us that our house had actually been burglarized "twice"a year before we moved in. Because of my mistakes, we had to invest $18,000 pesos in iron bars on our windows and doors and a new alarm system.

If you can afford an expensive apartment in a high rise or a posh house in a patrolled gated community, you'll fare far better. But living in these countries is far from "safe" as you might know it. Don't be naive and take things for granted, it's very different here, it's not a walk in the park. If you don't have street smarts are not used to living this way, you need to learn some quickly. You learn to be aware of everyone and everything around you, watch for things, who to trust, who not to trust. You don't live in fear, but you be smart and you take nothing and NOWHERE for granted down here. That's my best advice.

Your going to change and you're going to learn some hard lessons as well if you stay long enough. The quicker you can make some friends and learn the "do's and dont's" the better. You can't be a passive person living in latin america, if so, the people here, and life here will just roll over top of you. You have to be more assertive, more confrontational about things, especially when you want things done. You stand your ground, politely but you have to be firm here with everything in many situations. You have to be MUCH more patient, things take longer. Things that took you 15 minutes to do now take 2 hours, or longer. You also have to be persistent, if not things will get lax and you'll never get anything done.

If your serious about coming to Argentina, PM me or email me and I'll give it to you straight up, no bull. I've lived here for well over 10 years now, speak the language and am married into an argentine family..so let me know.

Santiago de Chile
https://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...1103-chile.png

Typical little river "beach" side park area along the "Rio de La Plata" in the northern burbs of Buenos Aires
Thank you very much for the detailed info. I will definitely touch base with you if I get more serious about Buenos Aires. If I was down there for 3+ mos a year I think I would prefer to be in a city with more to do. It can get boring being in more of a beach resort type area.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:28 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,470,414 times
If you liked the Yucatan, take a look at Merida.
Couldn't really get a handle from your first post on what you prefer in terms of city vs. nature, beaches, mountains, dry vs. humid, colonial vs. modern, spanish speaking vs. brazil, etc.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
That is why I suggested Rio in my first post with the caveat that you must like big cities if decide to live there. I visited there last year and I really liked it a lot. I would love to live there if I had the chance. I think the biggest issue is not safety but cost. Rio is an expensive city. Yes, there are "bad" parts of Rio like there are in any big city. But you would live/stay in the nice areas (assuming it meets your budget).

Ipanema, Leblon and Botofogo are all good areas in Rio. Ipanema and Leblon are very well to do areas. Botofogo is more middle class. Botofogo will be the cheaper of the three.

The only downside to Brazil is the language. You will be learning the local language but it will not have much application in the USA (like Spanish). That said, it is a beautiful country and the Portuguese language is beautiful as well.
Thanks for the suggestions of these areas in Rio. Like I said to EricOldTime I think a city could be better for a longer term stay because more to do and see. Yes you get a lot more "bang for the buck" learning Spanish vs. Portuguese. If you learn Spanish there are dozens of countries you can use it in. But if you learn languages like say Japanese, German or Portuguese you can only use them in one or just a few countries.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:03 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,256,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Thank you very much for the detailed info. I will definitely touch base with you if I get more serious about Buenos Aires. If I was down there for 3+ mos a year I think I would prefer to be in a city with more to do. It can get boring being in more of a beach resort type area.
Well than either Buenos Aires, Rosario or Cordoba will be it....

Old 04-27-2015, 03:06 PM

883 posts, read 929,454 times
Antigua and Barbuda, Caribbean sea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas