Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 11:34 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,803,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Brazil is facing a temporary economic recession. This is one issue.

Corruption is another totally diferent issue.

People like to confusely mix the two issues, that have nothing to do with each other.

Corruption was always a very serious issue in Brazil, MUCH TIME BEFORE the left-wing Workers' Party (PT) came into power in the federal level.

Corruption DID NOT became "worse" after the left-wing Workers' Party came into power in the federal level.

Corruption stayed more or less the same, and I even risk to say it became a little smaller, thanks to some new laws regarding transparency.

The point is that now corruption is being EXPOSED more than in the past, for two reasons:

1 - The government of the Workers' Party, specially in the government of Dilma Rousseff (more than in the previous government of Lula da Silva) is allowing the police and the public prosecutors do their jobs, without political interference. When right-wing parties like the PSDB were in the federal government they did all kinds of political interference in the jobs of the police and the public prosecutors (Ministerio Publico).

2 - The corporate media is pro-right-wing and mostly hates the Workers' Party, so they give a very big attention and coverage to any corruption scandal related to the Workers' Party. I'm not saying the media should not give coverage to corruption scandals, of course they should, but the point is that, in the past, the corporate media, instead of "covering", used to "cover up" the corruption scandals when the PSDB party was in power in the federal level, with a very mild and "shy" coverage of all the corruption scandals in the late 1990's. And the corporate media STILL does the same today regarding the corruption scandals of the PSDB party in the state level, in states where the governors are from PSDB, like the state of São Paulo, for example. The corporate media quickly "forget" any scandal related to the PSDB in the state governments.

Those are the 2 reasons why so many Brazilians believe that corruption "got worse" with the Workers' Party (PT) in power, because corruption now is more EXPOSED thanks to those 2 factors.

Of course the PT has many corrupt politicians, but that's nothing new in Brazil, and I'm pretty sure the PSDB has more corrupts than the PT (by the way, statistics show that the number of city/town mayors from the PSDB who were caught in corruption is way higher than the number of city/town mayors from the PT caught in corruption).

The current president, Dilma Rousseff, is a woman who seems to have high ethical standards (more than previous president Lula da Silva, from the same party) and she was never accused of direct envolvement in any coruption scandal.

I'm not a member of the Workers' Party, and I don't even intend to vote for the Workers' Party again in the next elections, due to their incapacity to handle the economy in a more competent way. Anyway, they are still much more competent than the PSDB on this issue, since the PSDB almost made Brazil go bankrupt. But I think Brazil needs a new economic management more competent than PSDB and PT can do, so I won't vote for either of the two parties in the next elections.

But I can not stand the cynical politicians from the PSDB posing as "anti-corruption heroes" and pointing their fingers into the PT politicians, with the help of the corporate media, and so many people stupidly believing that "corruption was never so high in Brazil".

So, I will NEVER "go to the streets" together with that bunch of manipulated, braindead zombies, who are so vocal about the corruption related to the PT, but who conveniently "forget" about the corruption of the PSDB.

Most people know corruption didn't just arrive with the new government though- many of the comments I heard were that it is the same as always. However, people want justice. They just see their cost of living increase while investment in important things like city maintenance, education, and other things are ignored. At the same time, they are seeing these politicians enriching themselves.

It is very frustrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 03:37 PM

4,002 posts, read 6,833,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Most people know corruption didn't just arrive with the new government though- many of the comments I heard were that it is the same as always. However, people want justice. They just see their cost of living increase while investment in important things like city maintenance, education, and other things are ignored. At the same time, they are seeing these politicians enriching themselves.

It is very frustrating.
Well, there are surely politicians who are enrichng themselves in Brazil, but president Dilma Rousseff is clearly not one of those. There are no signs of any significant increase in her personal assets since she became president.

However, you see the street zombies protesting against Dilma Rousseff, and totally ignoring the politicians who DID enrich themselves....

Strange way of protesting against corruption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas