Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2015, 09:03 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,818,958 times

Advertisements

Do students in Latin American countries have to study English?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 10:32 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,374,293 times
In Argentina, English is a mandatory subject in both Primary and Secondary school (with some exceptions here and there), but in most schools you are unlikely to learn anything other than the very basics.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:39 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,436,030 times
In Brazil we study the verb to be during all elementary school, and in the end most students can't even put the phrase "The book is on the table" into the negative form.

(In many public schools many students aren't able to interpret a text in portuguese either - It was made a research that shows that half of Brazilians cannot locate Brazil on the world map)

Old 10-16-2015, 06:15 AM

30,404 posts, read 19,191,759 times
I'm living and working in Peru. I'm told that they start English in the 2nd grade keeping in mind that a large number of kids here go to private schools because the public schools generally suck. There are also plenty of English immersion schools the classes are in English...which gives those kids a huge advantage in employment here.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:54 AM

439 posts, read 522,440 times
Well in Panama, English is mandatory both in elementary and secondary schools. We have had a great influence of English because of our relation with the USA which goes back to 1850, but most kids in the poor neighborhoods do not want or refuse to learn it, on the other hand, middle class and high class kids learn it with no problem at all and their parents even pay for special courses for them. Now, you also have to remember that Panama has a big fully bilingual community, therefore, English is not a problem in Panama.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:19 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,730,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folicure View Post
Well in Panama, English is mandatory both in elementary and secondary schools. We have had a great influence of English because of our relation with the USA which goes back to 1850, but most kids in the poor neighborhoods do not want or refuse to learn it, on the other hand, middle class and high class kids learn it with no problem at all and their parents even pay for special courses for them. Now, you also have to remember that Panama has a big fully bilingual community, therefore, English is not a problem in Panama.

It is super smart to push manditory additional language training is all schools. I am Canadian and ya sure we have French as a manditory subject for several years jury school, but the intensity is pathetic so the skills are not really properly developed for most students. I was in Costa Rica for a friend's wedding and I felt so stupid because I was meeting kids from there that were like 4 and 5 that could speak with me in English and almost every adult I met at the wedding spoke English. I also get the same impression when I am in Europe or North Africa that a lot more people learn multiple languages. Even though I took Italian in school from the age of 4 and French from the age of 6 because it is not really seen as a serious subject compared to Math, Science and English so I really did not get much out of it. Part of that is my fault too for being a lazy student, but a stronger push may have actually helped. From what I am hearing about the education system in Panama they appear to be making some really smart moves. I heard that one of the major dialectics spoken in China is also going to be part of manditory education.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:15 PM

439 posts, read 522,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
It is super smart to push manditory additional language training is all schools. I am Canadian and ya sure we have French as a manditory subject for several years jury school, but the intensity is pathetic so the skills are not really properly developed for most students. I was in Costa Rica for a friend's wedding and I felt so stupid because I was meeting kids from there that were like 4 and 5 that could speak with me in English and almost every adult I met at the wedding spoke English. I also get the same impression when I am in Europe or North Africa that a lot more people learn multiple languages. Even though I took Italian in school from the age of 4 and French from the age of 6 because it is not really seen as a serious subject compared to Math, Science and English so I really did not get much out of it. Part of that is my fault too for being a lazy student, but a stronger push may have actually helped. From what I am hearing about the education system in Panama they appear to be making some really smart moves. I heard that one of the major dialectics spoken in China is also going to be part of manditory education.
I heard that too.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:49 PM

7 posts, read 7,180 times
Most upper class kids will go to schools where all the subjects are taught in English. Search this (CNG Bogota) to see such a school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas