Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 10:54 AM

3,991 posts, read 6,795,905 times

Advertisements

Did you know that 99.9% of foreign tourists who visit Brazil are NOT robbed, don't have anything stolen, and are not victims of any kind of crime?

Amazing, ahn?

Still, some people are afraid of visiting Brazil because they fear they may become part of the 0.1% who have a bad luck...

Like if foreign tourists were never murdered or robbed in the USA or in Europe...

Old 12-18-2015, 11:30 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,382,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Did you know that 99.9% of foreign tourists who visit Brazil are NOT robbed, don't have anything stolen, and are not victims of any kind of crime?

Amazing, ahn?

Still, some people are afraid of visiting Brazil because they fear they may become part of the 0.1% who have a bad luck...

Like if foreign tourists were never murdered or robbed in the USA or in Europe...
Do you have any data to back that statement?

Old 12-18-2015, 12:02 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,727,708 times
LOL... but the one 0.01% who were made a lot of noise about it :P! I would still go to Brazil regardless because frankly I have travelled to places that were suppose to be so dangerous and have crazy high crime rates and nothing ever happend to me so I am fairly skeptical about this kinds of comments about crime. Usually as long as your use common sense and stay out of higher risk areas things work out okay.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Do you have any data to back that statement?
The data that I have is that 6.4 million foreign tourists visited Brazil in 2014.

0.1% are 6.4 thousand

From what I know, it's very unlikely that more than 500 foreign tourists were victims of any kind of crime in Brazil in 2014.

so, in fact it's less than 0.01% and not 0.1%

The percent is even lower than I said.

You have to be very unlucky to get robbed or suffer any kind of crime while visiting Brazil for a few days and not doing anything stupid like going into a favela alone at night....

Old 12-18-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
LOL... but the one 0.01% who were made a lot of noise about it :P! I would still go to Brazil regardless because frankly I have travelled to places that were suppose to be so dangerous and have crazy high crime rates and nothing ever happend to me so I am fairly skeptical about this kinds of comments about crime. Usually as long as your use common sense and stay out of higher risk areas things work out okay.
Crime always get a lot of attention...

But in most places in the world the odds are low, if you use common sense, as you said.

Walking alone at night in areas that look deserted is not a good idea anywhere...

Old 12-18-2015, 02:01 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,382,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
The data that I have is that 6.4 million foreign tourists visited Brazil in 2014.

0.1% are 6.4 thousand

From what I know, it's very unlikely that more than 500 foreign tourists were victims of any kind of crime in Brazil in 2014.

so, in fact it's less than 0.01% and not 0.1%

The percent is even lower than I said.

You have to be very unlucky to get robbed or suffer any kind of crime while visiting Brazil for a few days and not doing anything stupid like going into a favela alone at night....
I spent a lot of time in Brazil; Rio, Sao Paulo, Belo Horizonte and Florianopolis. I have never been robbed, but then i try to dress and behave like locals. Having said that, i do have a couple of friends who have been mugged and even beaten. Not trying to bash Rio, but every single time i went there, i saw tourists crying because they had been robbed. Places like floripa are really safe but Rio is the most dangerous city i have ever been. Never seen so much violence anywhere else.

Old 12-18-2015, 02:22 PM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
I work in Peru and in fact will be going to dinner tonight with a lady from Brazil, Sao Paulo. Most people that go to Brazil love it. However, my best friend on the project (from Chile) said his brother was robbed in Rio when he went there and he advised me not to go to Brazil. Even my friend from Sao Paulo says it is dangerous and you need to know where to go and not go. Florianapolis I've heard is much better.

Old 12-18-2015, 04:12 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,727,746 times
Look it's LatAm, there's a chance of getting robbed. Big Deal!

If you can't handle the risk of loosing a few bucks or a phone versus having a great experience then don't go.

Personally I'll just take the precautions and enjoy myself without flaunting designer clothing (like I have any) or snapping away on my ipad.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:18 PM

10,098 posts, read 14,972,719 times
Maybe the OP was motivated by reports such as these.

Except for the mass theft at the beach, these crimes can happen anywhere and not just in Brazil.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-05-2016 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: 2 videos per post please

Old 12-20-2015, 05:11 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,435,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
I spent a lot of time in Brazil; Rio, Sao Paulo, Belo Horizonte and Florianopolis. I have never been robbed, but then i try to dress and behave like locals. Having said that, i do have a couple of friends who have been mugged and even beaten. Not trying to bash Rio, but every single time i went there, i saw tourists crying because they had been robbed. Places like floripa are really safe but Rio is the most dangerous city i have ever been. Never seen so much violence anywhere else.
I work in Tourism area in Rio and can say you're lying. Tourists are hardly victims of violence in Rio. Nowhere in Brazil is really safe, but generally tourists are safe. It's true that they don't have the same freedom that they have in Switzarland, but who comes to Brazil knows it perfectly.

And Rio receives 1/3 of foreing tourists in Brazil alone (and about 10 millions brazilians from other states...), so it's the single place of most significance of the statististics of the 99.99 whole Brazil tourists that don't have one single towel robbed.
Numbers of criminality rates also show most of braziian big cities are a lot more violent than Rio and even São Paulo (General criminality, not related with tourists).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I work in Peru and in fact will be going to dinner tonight with a lady from Brazil, Sao Paulo. Most people that go to Brazil love it. However, my best friend on the project (from Chile) said his brother was robbed in Rio when he went there and he advised me not to go to Brazil. Even my friend from Sao Paulo says it is dangerous and you need to know where to go and not go. Florianapolis I've heard is much better.
Much better in what?
I love Florianopolis, but it is a beach city that only worths during brazilian summer, everybody knows that without a car there you're you're nothing. Public transportation there is a totally crap. You' can't even compare both cities in cultural atractions, and many more aspects. Florianópolis is wonderful, but for sure can't compare with Rio. About violence, the difference is not that high, and Rio receive tourists all year long while Florianópolis just some months of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas