Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2016, 12:58 PM

285 posts, read 301,530 times

Advertisements

Not sure how popular is Florianopolis around the world but it's one of the most famous and popular tourist destination for Brazilians.

I absolutely love everything about that city and I'm looking for a city in America that has the same qualities

So there it goes, I'm looking for an American city that is medium sized to large, safe, with amazing beaches, scenery, an outdoorsy lifestyle, a very young/progressive vibe, good weather (that allows for beach fun) and has extensive and exciting nightlife and entertainment options. Is there any city in America that fits those criteria?

I was thinking of Santa Cruz in California but ruled it out because weather is too cold there for it to be what I'm looking for, also thought of St. Petersburg in Florida but it doesn't strike as having a good party scene or that much of a young vibe overall.
Any other suggestions?

For those not aware on what's Florianopolis like here's a brief article that could give you a hint on what I'm talking about:

Enjoy a Summer Getaway to Florianópolis in Southern Brazil | The Rio Times | Brazil News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 02:19 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,897,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorhernandez View Post
Not sure how popular is Florianopolis around the world but it's one of the most famous and popular tourist destination for Brazilians.

I absolutely love everything about that city and I'm looking for a city in America that has the same qualities

So there it goes, I'm looking for an American city that is medium sized to large, safe, with amazing beaches, scenery, an outdoorsy lifestyle, a very young/progressive vibe, good weather (that allows for beach fun) and has extensive and exciting nightlife and entertainment options. Is there any city in America that fits those criteria?

I was thinking of Santa Cruz in California but ruled it out because weather is too cold there for it to be what I'm looking for, also thought of St. Petersburg in Florida but it doesn't strike as having a good party scene or that much of a young vibe overall.
Any other suggestions?

For those not aware on what's Florianopolis like here's a brief article that could give you a hint on what I'm talking about:

Enjoy a Summer Getaway to Florianópolis in Southern Brazil | The Rio Times | Brazil News
I don't think you can duplicate the same qualities in North America. San Diego might meet some of your criteria.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:50 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,434,327 times
Quote:
It also receives lots of tourists from the surroudings contries like Argentina, Uruguay, Chile and Paraguay.
But just during summer.

Quote:
Florianópolis is in America.

Quote:
Not So there it goes, I'm looking for an American city that is medium sized to large, safe, with amazing beaches, scenery, an outdoorsy lifestyle, a very young/progressive vibe, good weather (that allows for beach fun) and has extensive and exciting nightlife and entertainment options.
Florianópolis has a climate that allows for beach fun just during summer, not at all during all year long.

http://ndonline.com.br/uploads/globa...3-img-6750.jpg

http://www.miraedestino.com/claudiaf...estino.com.jpg

http://imguol.com/c/noticias/2013/07...94_956x500.jpg

Old 01-09-2016, 03:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,458 times
Hey Victor, I think that you are looking for Miami, because everybody in here wants to go there to live or spend vacations, not to work! Or Los Angeles.

I live in northeast Santa Catarina state, about 1:30 hours from the capital Florianopolis

Although I was born in Rio, I frequently visit cities like São Paulo and Curitiba

From all brazilian main cities in Brazil, Florianopolis is probably the best to live, study, work and do sports.

The city also has nice beaches and great parties with all kind of styles of music and also international bands.

All this with a awesome safety.

Isn't it the same with Miami?

But by the way Floripa is also known as the "Magic Island", and as all the State is very "close". It seems it's like a big city like Sao Paulo with nigthclubs, industries and Corporate Offices, and like Rio with the beaches and nice places, but it's spreads out mainly over the northeast litoral about 2 hour.

Old 01-09-2016, 04:09 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,294 times
South Florida, including Miami, Fort Lauderdale and the Palm Beaches, would be the closest to what you're looking for. It has good shopping, a late-night lifestyle, lots of clubs and bars, a cosmopolitan population (including many Brazilians), and nice beaches. It's certainly not the safest metro area in the U.S. but it's not like it's Juarez or somewhere. I'm sure you'd be fine if you follow the usual urban precautions.

Los Angeles and Sand Diego may be safer and they have the beaches and cosmopolitanism but it's cooler during the winter and the Pacific is downright freezing compared to the Atlantic. They also close up fairly early compared to Latin America or Miami; bars close at 2 a.m.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:58 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
I don't think that anything in the US can compare, southern Florida might have the culture and beaches but they don't have the mounatin or topography of Florianopolis. SoCal might have the beaches and the topography, but different culture
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas