Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 05:39 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,692,888 times

Advertisements

Based on what I have read Easter/Holly week traditions for Catholics/ Christians in Canada and the US seem pretty different then in Latin America. I heard they lack the fluffy sort of secular things like Easter bunnies, Easter eggs and chocolate shape things given as gifts. Do you find Catholics/ Christians in Latin America are more observant to traditional practices then Canadian or the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 10:40 AM

16 posts, read 14,877 times
Actually in El Salvador

Easter in the Roman Catholic Church 2016

The Roman Catholic Church is the Catholic Church more believers in the world, which are under the authority of the Pope. Easter, in the tradition of the Roman Catholic Church , begins with Palm Sunday , when Jesus enters Jerusalem and is received with palm leaves , and ends with Holy Saturday. Passover begins after Holy Saturday. The following are the dates of the Gregorian calendar in 2016 .

Palm Sunday falls on March 20, 2016 .
The Easter Monday falls on March 21, 2016.
Santo falls on Tuesday and March 22, 2016.
Holy Wednesday falls on March 23, 2016.
On Holy Thursday falls on March 24, 2016.
Good Friday falls on March 25, 2016.
Holy Saturday falls on March 26, 2016.

people who are not as religious use it to rest and go to the beach or the mountains, family outings anywhere.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:28 AM

Default Interesting ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alek547 View Post
Actually in El Salvador

Easter in the Roman Catholic Church 2016

The Roman Catholic Church is the Catholic Church more believers in the world, which are under the authority of the Pope. Easter, in the tradition of the Roman Catholic Church , begins with Palm Sunday , when Jesus enters Jerusalem and is received with palm leaves , and ends with Holy Saturday. Passover begins after Holy Saturday. The following are the dates of the Gregorian calendar in 2016 .

Palm Sunday falls on March 20, 2016 .
The Easter Monday falls on March 21, 2016.
Santo falls on Tuesday and March 22, 2016.
Holy Wednesday falls on March 23, 2016.
On Holy Thursday falls on March 24, 2016.
Good Friday falls on March 25, 2016.
Holy Saturday falls on March 26, 2016.

people who are not as religious use it to rest and go to the beach or the mountains, family outings anywhere.
Catholic vs Roman Catholic. I grew up being told the proper term was Roman Catholic ... but I have heard that some people actually correct that and say Catholic... not sure why. I assumed it was a was of suggesting Rome/Italy does not own the faith. I never heard of Holly Wednesday? Some of these dates and events seem different. Mind you I probably do not come from the most religious family. My grandmother would literally be the one dragging us kicking and screaming to church (while my parents usually choose to sleep in or set up for the parties/dinner we would be having with family and freinds after. Regarding Semana santa... I never really thought to look up what it meant... but the way the people I know talked about it they were likely the people at the beach.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:01 PM

16 posts, read 14,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
but the way the people I know talked about it they were likely the people at the beach.
ahhh the beach one of the places to rest and drink a couple of beers. mostly people do that here. I'm not catholic by the way

Old 01-15-2016, 12:06 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,382,293 times
Quote:
Catholic vs Roman Catholic. I grew up being told the proper term was Roman Catholic ... but I have heard that some people actually correct that and say Catholic... not sure why
The technically correct term is "Catholic". The common term is "Roman Catholic". The Catholic church is made up of 23 or so co-equal rights. Of these, the Roman rite is by far the largest (the number of believers in the other rites are about 20 million in total). So, the Roman rite "Roman Catholic" gets alot more press.

Google Eastern rite Catholic or Marionite Catholic and you can learn about the other rites. Likewise, every large city has a few of their churches. They just tend to be smaller. They are also seperate from the Roman rite dioceses (and also autonomous from even the Pope on a daily basis), so they dont really participate alot in events hosted by say, the Roman Catholic diocese of city "X".

Also, if you watch You Tube footage of papal funerals, major conferences etc., you will ocassionaly see a man dressed like an eastern Orthodox Bishop. Often, these are Catholic bishops from one of the other rites.

Last edited by Cryptic; 01-15-2016 at 12:48 PM..

Old 01-15-2016, 12:40 PM

439 posts, read 519,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
The technically correct term is "Catholic". The common term is "Roman Catholic". The Catholic church is made up of 23 or so co-equal rights. Of these, the Roman rite is by far the largest (the number of believers in the other rites are about 20 million in total). So, the Roman rite "Roman Catholic" gets alot more press.

Google Eastern rite Catholic or Marionite Catholic and you can learn about the other rites. Likewise, every large city has a few of their churches. They just tend to be smaller. They are also seperate from the Roman rite dioceses (and also autonomous from even the Pope on a daily basis), so they dont really participate alot in events hosted by say, the Roman Catholic dioceses of city "X".

Also, if you watch You Tube footage of papal funerals, major conferences etc., you will ocassionaly see a man dressed like an eastern Orthodox Bishop. Often, these are Catholic bishops from one of the other rites.
Totally correct.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:16 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,382,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folicure View Post
Totally correct.
Thanks. I did not know the difference from Roman Catholic and Catholic either until I went to an eastern rite Catholic church for a few years.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:05 PM

Default Okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post

Google Eastern rite Catholic or Marionite Catholic and you can learn about the other rites. Likewise, every large city has a few of their churches. They just tend to be smaller. They are also seperate from the Roman rite dioceses (and also autonomous from even the Pope on a daily basis), so they dont really participate alot in events hosted by say, the Roman Catholic diocese of city "X".

Interesting ... after 15 years worth of education in a Roman Catholic School ... never heard any of this. This is what happens when tests are multiple choice and you spend your class time passing notes and drawing pictures in your notes books. I just think of all the stuff I could have actually learned .

Old 01-15-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alek547 View Post
ahhh the beach one of the places to rest and drink a couple of beers. mostly people do that here. I'm not catholic by the way
I did not know that was an option if you are from Latin American (JUST JOKING ... before I get told off). Frankly if following religious traditions is going to get me in to heaven ...... well I won't be lonely as my whole family is apparently going to hell (I will make sure to call my parents and brother to remind them tonight lol). I am really surprised that religious events related to Easter appear to go on so long? Then again I they migh actually happen here Canada too and I might have just forgot. In Canada at least in Toronto I have never seen those procession things where people are holding up status and walking around. Most of the people I went to school with here Italin or from Latin American countries. The ones with Grand Parents around tended to me more religious. Ironically I totally think most of the parents use to send the kids to church with their grand parents to have some free time away fromt the kids on Sunday mornings as I do not remember seeing a lot of parents ... the church crowd was most kids/teens and grand parents or older single people.

Would any of you say semana santa would be a good time to visit a country in Latin America to see cultural events or would it be better to go another time.

Old 01-15-2016, 05:28 PM

491 posts, read 750,379 times
Quote:
Based on what I have read Easter/Holly week traditions for Catholics/ Christians in Canada and the US seem pretty different then in Latin America. I heard they lack the fluffy sort of secular things like Easter bunnies, Easter eggs and chocolate shape things given as gifts. Do you find Catholics/ Christians in Latin America are more observant to traditional practices then Canadian or the US?
Spent easter only in Chile and they certainly celebrated easter in a similar fashion to sweden or the U.S. My guess is that Latin America consists of DIFFERENT countries with all different traditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas