Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2016, 02:47 PM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times

Advertisements

Como estai!?

I know this is a long way off. But I am making a commitment, based around work schedule and budget to travel to Chile for 3 weeks in August, 2017. (I am a community college professor and August is the only month where I can travel without sacrificing earnings/career). I already have a lot going on this summer.

I grew up in the midwest US, where winter averages only go to about 0-1 degrees Celsius during the day and got to about 7 degrees below Celsius (and have even gone camping (not fun) in those temperatures). So, when I say I want to really see Patagonia and Torres Del Paine even if it August, please understand that I am not a "wimp" with a little cold weather.

I am attracted to Chile: (para la naturaleza esta muy hermosa y diverso. Y el pais esta muy seguro que otro pais en sud america con carretera bueno).

(pardon the mixing of languages, I am just practicing)

Here it is:

Day 1: Take a "redeye" flight and arrive in Santiago in morning (I can sleep ok on planes if comfortable enough and have pillow), check into hostel, do a walking tour of central area including plaza de armas (cathedral, National history museum, etc.), Plaza de la Constitucion, through universidad area and Cerro Lucia, Mercado Central. Evening: eat, check out nightlife, etc. (although I will be tired).

Day 2: Take a bus to Concha y Toro winery in morning. In afternoon, take a bus to Valparaiso (a couple hours). Walk around waterfront, funiculars, and maybe rent a bike if possible. I know there are nature reserves and a botanic garden close by that preserve the native, natural "mattoral", with the endangered wine palms). Stay overnight in Valparaiso.

Day 3-8: Get ready to take a bus north. I am interested in volunteering for a non profit group that works to save the wild chinchillas, by doing land restoration (planting native plants) at the Reserva National Chinchillas near Illapel. (I have a background in natural sciences, and the geology and nature is a big part of what I want to experience). I am expecting to volunteer with them for a five days. They have all the instructions how to get there.

Day 9: Take the bus to La Serena. Check out the historic center and beaches in La Serena. Rent a car for three days. Drive out to see one of the observatories.

Day 10: Tour a pisco sour distillery around Pisco Elqui. Drive up to Copiapo.

Day 11: If possible (I have heard mixed things about being open to public) I would like to hear the powerful story of Los 33 (the trapped miners). I have read things online where tourists can hear from one of the miners about the experience. I'm sure it would be moving. Do any of you know if there are opportunities for the public currently?? Possibly drive to Pan de Azucar if time to see cactus groves and sea life (penguins, seals, other seabirds).

Day 12: Head back early to La Serena, return car. Take bus back to Santiago.

Day 13: Take bus early that goes across to Mendoza, Argentina. Stay overnight there and see what there is to see.

Day 14: Take bus back to Santiago.

Day 15: Take bus from Santiago to Valdivia. Stay overnight in Valdivia and rent a car. I want to experience some of the European/German culture and heritage that is there.
Day 16: Drive to a close nature reserve called Oncol Park to experience a small rainforest. In afternoon, drive to Pucon to see the lake, volcano in the distance, and to exerience the Mapuche culture (I read there is a museum/cultural center there). Stay another night in Valdivia.

Day 17: Take bus from valdivia to Puerto Montt, and take a flight to Punta Arenas. Rent a car and drive to Puerto Natales. Stay there for the night.

Day 18-19: Do short easy treks/hikes in Torres Del Paine. (I know that trekking is more limited to shorter easier treks in winter). I already posted a thread about winter conditions there. I know accommodations are more limited in winter, but I read there are still accommodations in winter.

Day 20: Drive back to Punta Arenas and fly back to Santiago. Fly back to California (where I live) the next day, Day 21st.

Keep in mind this is a rough outline. I have LOTS of time to work out details.

Chileans (or those familiar with Chile), what do you think?? Please keep in mind, that if it seems like I am spending a lot of time traveling around the country, I want to experience the changes in natural environment. Also, I am very tolerant of a wide range of climate and temperature.

Yet, any tips, suggestions, warning, advice are all recommended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 08:32 PM

5,764 posts, read 11,370,882 times
I am tired just reading the itinerary. You have obviously done a lot of reading and research, but wow, this is an ambitious agenda. Also, the agenda for the last week or so heading to southern Chile would be low on my list of things to do. The rain is almost a sure thing for that time of year, and it's not much fun wandering around in a cold rain storm.

Did you check on the travel times between some of the destinations listed? In particular, taking a bus from Santiago to Mendoza, and returning the next day is possible, but it's 8 hours each way on a good day. In August, if a winter storm is moving in, the hiway over the Pass could be closed or delayed.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:26 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Spend more time in valpo/viña.

Don't forget places like con con and reñaca.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:56 PM

Thanks guys for the tips. Yeah, I know it is pretty ambitious. I may end up cutting a couple small things, but I really want to experience all the climate zones/natural regions when I go. Cut out Pucon in the south, and Pan de Azucar in the north.

Yeah, I've heard that the pass can close, if I wanted to do that, I might have to set up my trip so that I am a little flexible with the times.

I know Valdivia is supposed to VERY rainy in the winter, but it is after all a rain forest. Torres del Paine, however, as it is on the leeward side, is supposed to be not as bad as people think in the winter, although any serious trekking is out of the question (but I would just look to do some easy treks).

And probably spend all of day 2 in Valpo. I can squeeze in a winery visit some other time.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:41 AM

It kind of seems like way too much in a short period of time. Going from valpo to la serena is like 9 hours. Why not do less places and actually take time to explore a little? A bus ride to mendoza to stay a day doesn't seem worth it. That's literally traveling like 13 hours for one day.

Spend 2 days in Santiago. Week in valparaiso and surrounding areas. Check out the atacama and la serena and take a flight to Pucon.

Less activities but you'll at least get to have a better idea of the places besides basically walking seeing the buildings and leaving

The distances going north and south in Chile is a lot longer than yiu might think

Old 04-27-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
It kind of seems like way too much in a short period of time. Going from valpo to la serena is like 9 hours. Why not do less places and actually take time to explore a little? A bus ride to mendoza to stay a day doesn't seem worth it. That's literally traveling like 13 hours for one day.

Spend 2 days in Santiago. Week in valparaiso and surrounding areas. Check out the atacama and la serena and take a flight to Pucon.

Less activities but you'll at least get to have a better idea of the places besides basically walking seeing the buildings and leaving

The distances going north and south in Chile is a lot longer than yiu might think
Yeah, you have a point. I've modified things slightly so not to be so ambitious and doing too much.

I do want to fit in a conservation volunteer project though. I did this last time I traveled overseas in Australia. (which I didn't even try doing too much in Australia as its so massive - I just stayed in NSW (Sydney area, Newcastle - where I volunteered, and Blue Mtns NP)

The save the Chinchillas organization in Illapel seems right up my alley, its free to stay at their research station while volunteering, and I'll get a chance to get a feel for things and meet interesting people.

If I do Mendoza, I think I will spend two nights there. I kind of want to have the experience of actually crossing the Andes and seeing how its different from Chile for myself. And probably do this more at the beginning of the trip before going north.

I think I will spend three whole days between Santiago and Valparaiso. Volunteer for five days. Go up to La Serena, but just stay in La Serena, then go up to Copiapo.

Then I'll fly out of La Serena to Puerto Montt I think I will do a multi city flight to Puerto Montt (and stay there for a full day) then go to Punta Arenas. I really want to see Torres Del Paine. I've read reviews that its not as bad as one might think weather-wise (even summer can be cold and even windier).

In any case, yeah, I'll do some cutting out of things. so not to be SO much.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Yeah, you have a point. I've modified things slightly so not to be so ambitious and doing too much.

I do want to fit in a conservation volunteer project though. I did this last time I traveled overseas in Australia. (which I didn't even try doing too much in Australia as its so massive - I just stayed in NSW (Sydney area, Newcastle - where I volunteered, and Blue Mtns NP)

The save the Chinchillas organization in Illapel seems right up my alley, its free to stay at their research station while volunteering, and I'll get a chance to get a feel for things and meet interesting people.

If I do Mendoza, I think I will spend two nights there. I kind of want to have the experience of actually crossing the Andes and seeing how its different from Chile for myself. And probably do this more at the beginning of the trip before going north.

I think I will spend three whole days between Santiago and Valparaiso. Volunteer for five days. Go up to La Serena, but just stay in La Serena, then go up to Copiapo.

Then I'll fly out of La Serena to Puerto Montt I think I will do a multi city flight to Puerto Montt (and stay there for a full day) then go to Punta Arenas. I really want to see Torres Del Paine. I've read reviews that its not as bad as one might think weather-wise (even summer can be cold and even windier).

In any case, yeah, I'll do some cutting out of things. so not to be SO much.

Oh yeah, if you DO take a bus to Mendoza, remember to pay your visa/pass BEFORE you get to the border or make sure you have a credit card on you if you don't already have your visa to enter. You can only pay with card, not cash.

I was told by Turbus that it was not necessary to have a visa, it was only necessary if I was going by airplane. Boy were they wrong, and on top of that I only had cash on me. I ended up getting turned away at the border by the officials. After about an hour and a half of talking to the border officials and bus drivers, I was able to convince the bus driver to pay the fee for me with his credit card and then I gave him the cash.

Mendoza is a nice little town, enjoyable but not amazing by any means. Can easily be cut out of your trip. I went because I had to cross the border to stay legally more time in Chile. Crossing through the Andes was definitely cool.

Sounds like a fun trip, I never was able to make it to South Chile. I think next time I'm there I'll check it out.

Old 04-27-2016, 04:31 PM

839 posts, read 3,073,812 times
Quote:
Mendoza is a nice little town,
Mendoza has about 800,000. Do you consider that a little town?

Old 04-27-2016, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfel View Post
Mendoza has about 800,000. Do you consider that a little town?

Large metropolitan population but small urban population.

Feels like a small city.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:27 PM

839 posts, read 3,073,812 times
Quote:
Large metropolitan population but small urban population.

Feels like a small city.
Interesting. I was there this past (Southern) summer. And it felt like a big city, much more than I expected. It must be because I was mainly downtown anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas