Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 07:32 PM

881 posts, read 921,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post

I think that while their slang is different they're essentially trying to say the same thing. Weon in Chile is basically the buludo in Argentina. And both countries say conche tu madre too. Chileans to me just sound like higher pitched Argentineans with different slang.
but weón is a word Chileans share with Peruvians, Colombians and other people, not with Argies. Peruvians say conchesumadre or "chuchesumadre" a lot too.

maybe you notice so much similarities between both countries because you visited only these two countries. If you had visited Peru, you would have noticed a lot of similarities with Chile. For one, Peruvians and Chileans dispute over the origin of many things (pisco, suspiro, potatoes, etc).

Quote:
But what is this emphasis with dissecting the difference between Argentina and Chile so much? They're different but as different as Cuba, Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico are to each other. There will be differences but they're seen as similarly Caribbean. The same with Argentina, Chile and Uruguay being seen as similarly Southern Cone. Puerto Rico for instance has more white people than Dominican Republic but the countries are still similar.
as I said, Southern Cone is merely a geographical term. These Caribbean countries have strong bonds. Argentina and Uruguay too. Chile, more or less, in some aspects yes, in others, not.

Quote:
I understood the countries as distinct but saw them more as brothers who split and grew apart but they're cut from the same cloth.
how so? Chile never belonged to the Vice Royalty of the Río de la Plata. Chile was always isolated from the east and north because of the Andes and the desert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 07:57 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
but weón is a word Chileans share with Peruvians, Colombians and other people, not with Argies. Peruvians say conchesumadre or "chuchesumadre" a lot too.

maybe you notice so much similarities between both countries because you visited only these two countries. If you had visited Peru, you would have noticed a lot of similarities with Chile. For one, Peruvians and Chileans dispute over the origin of many things (pisco, suspiro, potatoes, etc).

as I said, Southern Cone is merely a geographical term. These Caribbean countries have strong bonds. Argentina and Uruguay too. Chile, more or less, in some aspects yes, in others, not.

how so? Chile never belonged to the Vice Royalty of the Río de la Plata. Chile was always isolated from the east and north because of the Andes and the desert.
Chile only argues with Peru over pisco and other food stuff because it appropriated a lot of their food. I also see a lot of similarities with Peru too as Chile is also their neighbor but I see it as closer to being a part of with it's southern cone neighbors Argentina. Peru and Bolivia are more alike than Chile and Peru.

Chile appropriates a lot of culture, food, music and other stuff from it's neighbors. Mate is popular now over there, most of what I heard was Argentine music and such. But the way that Chileans talk when I hear them talk, joke, and such I compare it more similar with Argentina than Peru. But yes you're right that Chile is Chile and is a cross between the two countries.

Argentina and Uruguay share a much much stronger bond. I mean they're more like Venezuela and Colombia.

But to say that Chile is nothing like Argentina is silly especially when they're so close to each other. I mean why is it easier to see other latin american nations are closer but not Chile and Argentina? If anything they'd be like Cuba in the comparisons between Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico and Cuba, with the first two having more in common and the latter being slightly different but similar in some aspects.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:36 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Chile only argues with Peru over pisco and other food stuff because it appropriated a lot of their food. I also see a lot of similarities with Peru too as Chile is also their neighbor but I see it as closer to being a part of with it's southern cone neighbors Argentina. Peru and Bolivia are more alike than Chile and Peru.

Chile appropriates a lot of culture, food, music and other stuff from it's neighbors. Mate is popular now over there, most of what I heard was Argentine music and such. But the way that Chileans talk when I hear them talk, joke, and such I compare it more similar with Argentina than Peru. But yes you're right that Chile is Chile and is a cross between the two countries.

Argentina and Uruguay share a much much stronger bond. I mean they're more like Venezuela and Colombia.

But to say that Chile is nothing like Argentina is silly especially when they're so close to each other. I mean why is it easier to see other latin american nations are closer but not Chile and Argentina? If anything they'd be like Cuba in the comparisons between Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico and Cuba, with the first two having more in common and the latter being slightly different but similar in some aspects.
Music isn't really an indicator of anything in Latin America. Argentine music(or rock) was huge all across Latin America- I spent most of my youth going to see Argentine bands in Mexico. Colombian reggaeton and Dominican bachata/pop are now listened to all over Latin America.

Chilean alternative rock-pop is really trendy in Mexico now- artists like Javiera Mena, Gepe and Astro even draw large crowds in Southern CA.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:51 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,719,938 times
Hehehehe Gepe gave some street cred to Wendy Sulca... tetica tetica quiero tetica

PS: Cuba is much more alike DR and PR than Chile is to Argentina. To be honest they're pretty apart in my opinion. Maybe something like the difference between Mexico and Colombia, there's shared elements but still extremely distinct.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Music isn't really an indicator of anything in Latin America. Argentine music(or rock) was huge all across Latin America- I spent most of my youth going to see Argentine bands in Mexico. Colombian reggaeton and Dominican bachata/pop are now listened to all over Latin America.

Chilean alternative rock-pop is really trendy in Mexico now- artists like Javiera Mena, Gepe and Astro even draw large crowds in Southern CA.
I know this but the pop culture of Argentina was so prevalent there that it influences the pop culture in Chile too. When you watch both Chilean and Argentinean television, I notice more similarities in their pop culture than I would say with Chile and Peru. I mean why the insistence to admit that they're so different? They are but then by your measure so is every Latin American country and this thread would be entirely pointless. Someone earlier pointed out how much more Andean Colombia is to Venezuela which is true but also that there is no question the two countries are still similar. Same with Chile and Argentina. They're right next to each other! LOL. How can they be THAT different? They share a really LONG border. You're telling me there is no co-mingling? C'mon. They're not night and day different.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Hehehehe Gepe gave some street cred to Wendy Sulca... tetica tetica quiero tetica

PS: Cuba is much more alike DR and PR than Chile is to Argentina. To be honest they're pretty apart in my opinion. Maybe something like the difference between Mexico and Colombia, there's shared elements but still extremely distinct.
That makes no sense. Have you ever been to both countries? They're right next door to each other but they're as different as Mexico is to Colombia, two countries that aren't even on the same continent?? I agree that both are different but still have similarities that put then in the same camp. I mean to say that they're as different as Mexico and Colombia is absurd.

I mean this is just getting ridiculous, LOL. This is just riding on the perception of Buenos Aires but I didn't see a night and day difference between the Chileans and Argentineans of Mendoza when I was there.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:56 PM

I think the one that's insisting on the similarities of Argentina and Chile is you radio. Every other person in this thread has a different opinion to you me included. I see them as quite distinct from each other. Argentinian rock influenced the whole of the Spanish speaking world.

As I said the difference in my opinion is like Mexico and Colombia. Colombians love and have been heavily influenced by Mexican folk and vice versa.

Mendoza and other cities like Neuquen are a separate case due to their closeness to the Chilean border.

Old 07-09-2016, 09:06 PM

Quote:
I think the one that's insisting on the similarities of Argentina and Chile is you radio. Every other person in this thread has a different opinion to you me included. I see them as quite distinct from each other. Argentinian rock influenced the whole of the Spanish speaking world.

As I said the difference in my opinion is like Mexico and Colombia. Colombians love and have been heavily influenced by Mexican folk and vice versa.

Mendoza and other cities like Neuquen are a separate case due to their closeness to the Chilean border.
But this is moving the goal posts. That's what this all has been. Everyone can find many similarities between neighboring countries in the Caribbean and Colombia/Venezuela but when it comes to Chile and Argentina. you guys act as though the differences are oceans wide vs the the differences that separate the other countries I listed.
Now you're telling me that cities like Mendoza, which are big, I think Mendoza is Argentina's fourth or fifth largest city, doesn't count because it's too close to Chile? Isn't that the point? That these similarities are based on their proximity to each other?

I just find the criteria that you guys are using as weird and are overstating the culture of Argentina as being ultimately the culture found in Buenos Aires or see it as the stereotypical Argentinean with the exaggerated RioPlatenese accent and blonde European features. That is not what I overwhelmingly saw upon my visits to Argentina. I saw people I would very much associate with the rest of the Southern Cone.

Old 07-09-2016, 09:19 PM

No-one is saying they're oceans apart, that's the way you're interpreting it because you're frustrated that we don't agree with you, but in my opinion they're not as similar as you make out. Santiago was an Incan city, they found historical remains to prove this. Chileans also have a different outlook, they're reserved and classist like Peruvians. In popular culture Chileans may look to the more trendy scene in Argentina but in their traditional folk (Cueca, etc.) they're more akin to Peru.

My point is that its a combination of the two and its only the fact that Chile is more developed that makes outsiders maybe gravitate it more towards Argentina.

Argentina is such a centralised country that its three main cities dominate the cultural scene. The NOA and western cities are satellite cultures and precisely here is where we find more of an affinity with Chile but again the centralised culture of Argentina sets it apart.

This is very different to what occurs in Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador and Panama where regions are almost carbon copies across the border. Or the Caribbean islands.

Old 07-09-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
No-one is saying they're oceans apart, that's the way you're interpreting it because you're frustrated that we don't agree with you, but in my opinion they're not as similar as you make out. Santiago was an Incan city, they found historical remains to prove this. Chileans also have a different outlook, they're reserved and classist like Peruvians. In popular culture Chileans may look to the more trendy scene in Argentina but in their traditional folk (Cueca, etc.) they're more akin to Peru.

My point is that its a combination of the two and its only the fact that Chile is more developed that makes outsiders maybe gravitate it more towards Argentina.

Argentina is such a centralised country that its three main cities dominate the cultural scene. The NOA and western cities are satellite cultures and precisely here is where we find more of an affinity with Chile but again the centralised culture of Argentina sets it apart.
What does historical remains of the Incans have to do with Santiago today? Argentineans and Chileans have mapuches but I wouldn't use that to consider them similar. Same with the traditional dance. Both have guacho/huaso culture too. Both have vineyards and a popular wine culture. But that is not what I mean.
The different outlook is true as Chileans are more reserved and this they do sort of share with the Peruvians but the Peruvians are more reserved and their culture is very Amerindian influenced that their way of speech in my opinion is more similar with Bolivians. I mean they speak in such a reserved clear manner than I cannot compare them with Chileans.

I hear more of the same banter between Chileans and Argentineans and their joking is more similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEhg8kpzcKE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX7Vmh3I2n8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BohGt_eOeVg

I am not saying that Chileans and Argentineans are exactly a like but that its difficult for me to compare them to other latin american countries. Chileans Argentineans and Uruguayans are the only ones in Latin America that kind of have that Italian sound in their speech when say certain words.

It is a mix of Peru and Argentina but I would say more Argentina than Peru.

And yes, the culture that most people know of Argentina is the culture of Buenos Aires. The culture that is mostly seen is that of the Rioplatenese accent and the European culture. But not even all of Buenos Aires is like that. It's just the culture they project to the world in the media, in the establishment and pop culture. When I talked to Argentineans on the ground in different Argentine cities, I saw the culture, the way of speak and such as similar to Chile. But not exactly like Chile. Chile is unique in that it's uniquely Chilean but its still in the Southern Cone family along with Argentina and Uruguay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas