Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 11:00 AM

881 posts, read 922,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Why not? You don't explain how they're so dissimilar. All you keep saying is that they're no way similar to each other. How so? They're southern cone countries with varying degrees of similarity that put them in a similar family camp. It doesn't make them super similar or twins, but I just cannot see what nation even remotely resembles Chile other than Argentina and to a much smaller extent, Peru.

Tell me how this works? Are you Chilean or Argentinean? Have you traveled to both or either nation? They share some staple cuisine, similar words, broadly similar accent to the smallest extent, similar looking people both mestizo and more European mix, similar musical tastes with cumbia and particularly Argentinean cumbia, wine culture, similar guacho/huaso culture. It's surface level because underneath it they are different, but so is every Latin nation when you pair them up and go deeper than surface level stuff. I mean the level of goal post shifting and double standards is beyond laughable at this point.

There are many people who are unfamiliar with the Chilean accent especially in North and Central America, when they hear it they automatically think the person must be from some south American country, probably somewhere in Argentina, Uruguay or maybe Peru. This happened to a friend of mine from Chile who visited me here in LA and nearly every Latino mistook his accent for either Argentinean or Uruguayan because they were unfamiliar with the Chilean accent and the thought of him being Chilean didn't even cross their mind. They never see a Chilean to connect the dots. The go to is Argentinean.

How could Ireland and England share way more similarities even with the different accent, different ethnic backgrounds Gaelic Celt vs Anglo Saxon, different history of colonization vs empire, and different culture, but it's out of this world to think that Argentina and Chile could share similarities?

Are you guys just pulling my leg? You're from England, right? Are you taking the pi$$?
But Chile and Argentina have different indigenous tribes. Ok, I think Mapuches inhabited some areas that nowadays are part of Argentina, but the indigenous tribes that inhabit each country are fairly different (the same applies for any other South American country). Regarding miscegenation, Chile indeed has a much higher % of population with a dominant Mestizo complexion than Argentina or Uruguay, as said before.

I don't think Cumbia villera is very popular in Chile at all. Also, gauchos and huasos are quite different.

The accent of both countries is just different. I've heard stories about Colombians in Argentina being confused as Mexicans because of their accent, but nobody would seriously assert that the Mexican and the Colombian accent are "very similar". Same with Chile and Peru, or Colombia and Ecuador, or whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 11:23 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
But Chile and Argentina have different indigenous tribes. Ok, I think Mapuches inhabited some areas that nowadays are part of Argentina, but the indigenous tribes that inhabit each country are fairly different (the same applies for any other South American country). Regarding miscegenation, Chile indeed has a much higher % of population with a dominant Mestizo complexion than Argentina or Uruguay, as said before.

I don't think Cumbia villera is very popular in Chile at all. Also, gauchos and huasos are quite different.

The accent of both countries is just different. I've heard stories about Colombians in Argentina being confused as Mexicans because of their accent, but nobody would seriously assert that the Mexican and the Colombian accent are "very similar". Same with Chile and Peru, or Colombia and Ecuador, or whatever.
That's like saying Canada and the USA are totally different because some Americans speak differently than Canadians. The generic accent of both is somewhat similar. If Argentineans were confused about the accent then that just means they're unfamiliar with the Colombian accent. They do sound nothing alike because they're far apart. Chileans and Argentineans share enough similarity to at least confuse a person unfamiliar with the Chilean accent. There are more similarities with both than with Colombia and Mexico.

No one would bat an eye if you confused the Chilean accent with Argentinas, but Colombian and Mexican?

On the mestizos, chile has more yes but what I was trying to say is that when you exanine each apart, the mestizo of chile look very similar to Argentinas and their white population looks very similar to Argentineans. Both countries received a large influx of Italians, Germans and Croats, with Chile receiving more Anglo British immigrants.

Now huasos and gauchos are super different too? You guys are just moving goalposts now. Yes both countries are different, but you guys are really saying two neighbors would be THAT different? Cmon what's the real story here? What are you guys trying to get at?

Tell me have you been to either country? At least answer me that or do you just watch TV shows and movies or online videos where a Chilean goes around saying 'weon' and 'po' and a Porteno Argentine goes around saying in a Spanish Italian accent "Che boludo". And Cumbia villera is popular among the "flaite" subgroup of Chileans, translated roughly as Chavs, they're akin to the same people from the low income areas of Argentina where the music is widely popular. Puro Moviemento DJ was a group I heard playing a lot of places when I went last time .

To anyone who's been to Chile they'd know it's definitely unique and it's own thing but any comparison to any other Latin American country will have you thinking that it's a cross between Peru and Argentina with the slight edge on Argentina at 60/40 or 70/30 depending on how you look at it.

Last edited by radiolibre99; 07-18-2016 at 11:34 AM..

Old 07-20-2016, 02:10 AM

491 posts, read 753,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
I think the one that's insisting on the similarities of Argentina and Chile is you radio. Every other person in this thread has a different opinion to you me included.

Walking on the Streets of Argentina and Chile is a very similar experience. In that sense, radio is right.

Old 07-20-2016, 03:59 AM

51 posts, read 50,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
not necessarily.

Colombia is Andean, 70% of us live in the Andes. Venezuela is more coastal and it reflects in their accent and idiosyncrasy.

As someone from the Cundiboyacense altiplano I feel way more identified with Andean Ecuador or even northern Andean Peru than with Venezuela. We have a strong indigenous Muisca heritage that doesn't exist elsewhere.

Someone from Pasto or Cauca would feel more identified with Ecuador than with any other country, for obvious reasons. Sanandresanos (raizal ones) would feel more identified with the Antilles. Paisas are sui generis too, Northwest Andean Colombia is not like Venezuela or any other country. Same can be said for other regions.
all countries have micro regions where people are different

fact is colombia and venezuela are very similar

By the way Colombian Andes are similar to Venezuelan Andes. You can't even tell the different between the accent of a Gocho from Venezuela and a Santandereano!

And the Colombian coast is very similar to Venezuela's coast.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:03 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
It's true, Chileans do have a tiny bit of Italian in their accent, but I dont think it's that strong. Mostly Chile has its own accent, where the "Ch" and the "T" sounds are barely distinguishable

Old 07-20-2016, 02:37 PM

491 posts, read 753,400 times
There is absolutely nothing, even remotely, Peruvian about chile

Old 07-20-2016, 05:54 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Chile is overwhelmingly it's own thing. It stands out on it's own as much as Argentina and Peru do too. But I do think if you're looking for any similarities with any Latino country its 70% Argentina and 30% Peru. Mr. Pilot, some of Chile's food was swiped from Peru from Bistec a lo Pobre, Chicha, to even Pisco. Chilean and Argentinean emapanadas are almost identical.

Warszawa, that little bit of Italian in the Chileans accent is what had many Latinos in the states who were unfamiliar with the Chilean accent, thinking that my friend from Chile was from Argentina.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:29 PM

881 posts, read 922,676 times
"Chileans and Argentineans share enough similarity to at least confuse a person unfamiliar with the Chilean accent."
"There is absolutely nothing, even remotely, Peruvian about chile"

It's strange. For us native Spanish speakers the differences between the Chilean and Argentinian accents are so obvious and clear... Chilean accent is just essencially different, it has such a particular intonation. It's nothing alike any other country. The Chilean slang (the one they don't share with other countries) is very peculiar too: "al tiro", "cachar", "fome", "polola", "perkin", "copete", "cuea", "carerraja", "curao"... there is no equivalent of these words/expressions in other countries. Canadian and Americanian accent are indeed very similar. Rioplatense accent (which is the one used by at least 70% of Argentinians) and Chilean accent are just very sui generis.

So is the influence of Peru in Chile, they share so many things, slang (both countries use the same words and expressions, such as "¿qué es esa weá", "piola", "hueva", "guatón", etc). The "poh" of Chileans is just a variation of the Peruvian "pe". Even recently it was discovered that Santiago was built over an ancient Inca city.

I've never confused an Argie and a Chilean except one time, and it was because of a Chilean journalist who used a more neutral accent. But it could had happen with any other nationality. When you use a more neutral accent is hard to recognize which country you come from.

the theory about the Italian substrate in the Chilean accent is just not plausible. Unlike Argentina or Brazil, Chile only received a few thousands Italians. Venezuela received more Italians but nobody here talks about the Italian substrate in the Venezuelan accent. Maybe you are just suggestioned about Italianity of Chileans. Immigration from Germany or the Uk wasn't really a thing in neither country, except for a few localized places.

"...And Cumbia villera is popular among the "flaite" subgroup of Chileans..."

I've heard the same about reggaeton. I don't see any reason why anything so Argentine as cumbia villera would be popular outside Arg/Uru.

"Now huasos and gauchos are super different too?"

I'd say yes, pretty much, one of the few things they have in common is being some kind of cowboys, which also exist in Brazil (gaúchos, boiadeiros, vaqueiros), Colombia/Venezuela (llaneros) or Mexico (charros). The environment of the Pampas and the one from Central-Southern Chile is completely different.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:46 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
I think that, while different in each country or region, cowboy culture is one thing that is widespread through out Latin America.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:23 AM

51 posts, read 50,938 times
Latin America can be broken into several megacountries

- Brazil is its own planet

- Argentina / Uruguay / Paraguay / Southern Chile

- Bolivia / Peru / Ecuador / Northern Chile

- Colombia / Venezuela / Panama / Guyanas

- Central America / Mexico

- Caribbean islands
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas