Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 10:45 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,956,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Yes, and they wiil not accept it- they will go on and about how 'in the States, things aren't done this way.' Well, you are not in the frieking US. I've had friends act like this on trips abroad and it was such a nuisance.
It is not just a nuisance when young men and women from the US lie to police in foreign countries. It is a prison sentence. There's a certain arrogance that leads these men and women to callously believe that they can do whatever they want because the US "rules the world", but that is what seems to be in their heads when they leave US soil.

What is going on that this grandiose misconception is so prevalent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 10:52 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,832 times
Obviously my original post was an overreaction and based on the original story told by Lyin Ryan. I still believe the Brazilians mishandled the situation as well. In America, if someone holds a gun on you and prevents you leaving with a demand for money and after giving them money, you are granted your freedom, it's considered robbery....apparently in Brazil it is not...which is why one should become aware of the laws and customs of a country before getting drunk and talking to the police.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:09 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,956,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
Obviously my original post was an overreaction and based on the original story told by Lyin Ryan. I still believe the Brazilians mishandled the situation as well. In America, if someone holds a gun on you and prevents you leaving with a demand for money and after giving them money, you are granted your freedom, it's considered robbery....apparently in Brazil it is not...which is why one should become aware of the laws and customs of a country before getting drunk and talking to the police.
The men from the US who are proven liars mishandled the situation. This is not the fault of civil officers who responded to the vandalism.

In the US: if vandals are caught they are arrested, with guns if necessary. In the US, unarmed young men are shot and killed for reaching for their wallets. It is common for foreign governments to warn citizens that opening the glove box of a rental car in the US to retrieve vehicle insurance and registration papers can result in officer shooting and killing - bottom line is ask the officer to retrieve the documents from the glove box to stay alive.

The men from the US wanted to avoid calling the police, so they offered money to compensate for the vandalism damage they caused. They then claimed that the money was extorted as part of a robbery. They vandalized. They were caught. They volunteered to pay for the vandalism damage to avoid police involvement. The money was accepted as compensation. They then claimed they were robbed at gunpoint. They lied. They were then charged with lying in relation to a police investigation. That resulted in a criminal charge where they were then given an option to pay a hefty fine for lying to officers, which they chose.

There is no upside to what happened. They screwed up in a bad way that paints an X on US Olympians. Thankfully for them, memories fade after 4 years.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
The men from the US who are proven liars mishandled the situation. This is not the fault of civil officers who responded to the vandalism.

In the US: if vandals are caught they are arrested, with guns if necessary. In the US, unarmed young men are shot and killed for reaching for their wallets. It is common for foreign governments to warn citizens that opening the glove box of a rental car in the US to retrieve vehicle insurance and registration papers can result in officer shooting and killing - bottom line is ask the officer to retrieve the documents from the glove box to stay alive.

The men from the US wanted to avoid calling the police, so they offered money to compensate for the vandalism damage they caused. They then claimed that the money was extorted as part of a robbery. They vandalized. They were caught. They volunteered to pay for the vandalism damage to avoid police involvement. The money was accepted as compensation. They then claimed they were robbed at gunpoint. They lied. They were then charged with lying in relation to a police investigation. That resulted in a criminal charge where they were then given an option to pay a hefty fine for lying to officers, which they chose.

There is no upside to what happened. They screwed up in a bad way that paints an X on US Olympians. Thankfully for them, memories fade after 4 years.
To me, a 20 year old male getting drunk and embellishing a story about the way in which he was robbed in a foreign country is not so unusual. Brazil has over 50,000 murders per year so in context, no big deal.

I think your story is an embellishment on the facts as well.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:56 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,727,708 times
Default ?

Quote:
I agree people should be aware of the laws of the places they are travelling to. For example when you go to certain places in the USA you can be unarmed and shot dead just because. I think Americans really need to take a look at there owns crazy laws before they go around complianing about the laws in other countries.

If those same guys pulled that stunt in the USA and many states they could of easily been shot dead even if unarmed and there would have been no punishment issued by the law for the shooter. So I have no idea what USA you live in or are referring to? A county where having sex on a beach results in a longer prison sentence then killing an unarmed teenager? # Americans have no right to judge

Old 08-21-2016, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I agree people should be aware of the laws of the places they are travelling to. For example when you go to certain places in the USA you can be unarmed and shot dead just because. I think Americans really need to take a look at there owns crazy laws before they go around complianing about the laws in other countries.

If those same guys pulled that stunt in the USA and many states they could of easily been shot dead even if unarmed and there would have been no punishment issued by the law for the shooter. So I have no idea what USA you live in or are referring to? A county where having sex on a beach results in a longer prison sentence then killing an unarmed teenager? # Americans have no right to judge
LOL to this entire post.

I will say there's places in the USA like Detroit and Chicago where I won't go because of the crime either and all of Brazil has too much to travel there. I worked for a year and a half in South America and I was strongly advised to avoid Brazil even by some Brazilians I became friends with. To be fair, Rio has done a much better job than I expected in hosting the Olympics....I still feel the treatment of the American swimmers was improper and abusive.

Old 08-21-2016, 02:23 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
LOL to this entire post.

I will say there's places in the USA like Detroit and Chicago where I won't go because of the crime either and all of Brazil has too much to travel there. I worked for a year and a half in South America and I was strongly advised to avoid Brazil even by some Brazilians I became friends with. To be fair, Rio has done a much better job than I expected in hosting the Olympics....I still feel the treatment of the American swimmers was improper and abusive.
No matter how much you continue to waffle and waffle, Lyin' Ryan could have simply told the truth about what happened.

He chose not to.

He created the huge publicity brouhaha.

He is responsible for the fact that there has been, and will continue to be endless arguing over this.

Now he says he "over-exaggerated!" In other words exaggerating would have been fine, the problem in his pathetic little pea-brain is that he "over-exaggerated."

He simply cannot man up and say "I lied." He is pathetic. Gold medals and all, he is a loser.

Old 08-21-2016, 03:17 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,109,605 times
Quote:
To me, a 20 year old male getting drunk and embellishing a story about the way in which he was robbed in a foreign country is not so unusual. Brazil has over 50,000 murders per year so in context, no big deal.

I think your story is an embellishment on the facts as well.
Yeah, Brazil is a crap hole filled with bad folks and run by a government which can't even hoist up a correct national flag of a gold medal winning country during an award ceremony. But this incompetency and general lawlessness do not excuse the trashy behavior of these young men. Things are not always relative. There should be some absolutes, like good behavior and civil decorum.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:27 AM

586 posts, read 831,204 times
Quote:
To me, a 20 year old male getting drunk and embellishing a story about the way in which he was robbed in a foreign country is not so unusual.
Whether it's unusual or not is irrelevant, he was caught doing so and dealt with in line with the laws from the country he was in....

Also going from breaking a toilet door to saying you had a gun placed against you forehead and cocked to distract from your own stupidity isn't a embellishment, it's a lie... and when you then choose to say that to the Police, idiocy.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:53 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,727,746 times
Quote:
LMAO funny how, from Lochte to inconspicuous forum poster the dimwitted mentality is the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas