Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 01:34 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleff89 View Post
Renting an apartment it's not like here where you go see the place and you rent it from the owner. Over there you have to go to the office of population, get registered and then get on the list so you can see homes, and to be registered you have to have a DNI.

No DNI no registration for you at the office of population.

It's a painful process which makes European countries unbelievably bureaucratic and frustrating to navigate! However it makes sense as that is how the government keeps track of its citizens and provides them with benefits, health care etc. The cons it's the bureaucracy, I don't even want to remember!
Is this some kind of Spanish thing? Because here it's definitely not like that. You go to see a place and rent it from the owner, just like in the US.

You need a social security number, that is true.

Sounds very Mediterranean, though. Stupidly complicated and bureaucratic to get even the most simplest thing done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 02:39 AM

8 posts, read 9,086 times
Three million South Americans in the United States is a decent number, although it's not that much comparing it to Asians, Middle Easterners or Europeans.

Last edited by estenopiteco; 09-18-2016 at 03:59 AM..

Old 09-18-2016, 03:39 AM

11 posts, read 9,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
It's far to difficult to traverse Panama's lowlands. You cannot walk or drive across it. This inhibits poor migrants who cannot cannot afford boat rides or plane tickets.

Contrast that with Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, etc. It's a tough, but simple land journey into the United States, where the border is wide open in many desolate areas, with scant security.
^This, sorta..

The middle class and up not the poorer migrants have more options and better priorities to reach and make it to America...

Panama lowlands and Darien gap is almost inaccessable and most dangerous..?

Old 09-18-2016, 05:04 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,432,703 times
I didn't really know you miss us that much in Northern lands...

My posts asking why there are not more northern americans in South America if you miss us so much has been ignored, but doesn't it make sense? If you love us that much why don't you come to live here? 14 pages is a sleepy forum like this is not so easy to find...

Old 09-18-2016, 10:43 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christienreligions View Post
^This, sorta..

The middle class and up not the poorer migrants have more options and better priorities to reach and make it to America...

Panama lowlands and Darien gap is almost inaccessable and most dangerous..?
I don't think too many South Americans are walking to the U.S.

Even from Mexico, the VAST majority of immigrants come by plane. Even most illegal migrants come by plane (which is one of the many reasons the "Trump Wall" is so idiotic, but that's another conversation...).

Most immigrants to the U.S., legal or illegal, come by plane. Most illegal immigrants come by plane with tourist visa, and then overstay their allowed visit.

Also, people are forgetting that South America is generally FAR from the U.S. If you're a poor farmer in Bolivia, you're about as far from NYC as a poor farmer in Lebanon. Why not just go to nearby Chile or Argentina?

Old 09-18-2016, 12:39 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,328,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Is this some kind of Spanish thing? Because here it's definitely not like that. You go to see a place and rent it from the owner, just like in the US.

You need a social security number, that is true.

Sounds very Mediterranean, though. Stupidly complicated and bureaucratic to get even the most simplest thing done.

Sounds Finnish-Soviet, not like than here and we rent ten times more apartments than inhabitants in Finland.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:11 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karstic View Post
Sounds Finnish-Soviet, not like than here and we rent ten times more apartments than inhabitants in Finland.
I don't know what 'Soviet' has to do with Finland.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:12 AM

990 posts, read 878,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Brazilians tend to mix in with established Portuguese communities on the East Coast the cultures are more similar and the Portuguese are much more established with communities over 100 years. On the west coast of the US(California) there are very few Portuguese neighborhoods we never had a tradition of working in factories. In California the Portuguese are well integrated but keep their identity especially in the Central Valley were there many own large ranches and farms.
Very interesting. Are you Portuguese?
Brazilians in Europe I saw the same phenomenon, Brazilians tend mix in Portuguese communities not in Spanish American communities although the language is not really a problem and I saw many marriages among Brazilians and Argentineans or Brazilians and Spaniards (I was married with a Spaniard lady) but Brazilians and Portuguese much more.

Old 09-23-2016, 05:34 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
Brazilians in Europe I saw the same phenomenon, Brazilians tend mix in Portuguese communities not in Spanish American communities although the language is not really a problem and I saw many marriages among Brazilians and Argentineans or Brazilians and Spaniards (I was married with a Spaniard lady) but Brazilians and Portuguese much more.
I am Portuguese-American(which is different than an American of Portuguese descent).

Old 09-23-2016, 10:15 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
That's true, here in San Diego Brazilians settled in a very old Portuguese community, Point Loma. However, I don't think that is the case in Miami.

Once in the US it seems like Brazilians inter-marry all types of people and many also marry Spanish speakers. In my circle of friends there are quite a few Brazilian-Mexican couples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas