Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 09:16 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Nope. I know better. Bunch of liberal kooks out there. Twice a year is enough for me. I'll be out there again in early December. Good food and pretty women, after that it's all downhill.
Interesting I don't meet those sorts of people very often you must be doing something to attract those sorts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 10:37 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Nope. I know better. Bunch of liberal kooks out there. Twice a year is enough for me. I'll be out there again in early December. Good food and pretty women, after that it's all downhill.
What exaggerated paranoia. That's sad.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:56 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
He must have some special abilities, some people do see things the rest of us don't.
Attached Thumbnails
Why are there so few South Americans in the US despite geographical closeness?-liberals-everywhere.jpg  

Old 09-05-2016, 12:02 AM

502 posts, read 655,295 times
All that has been said is good. However I would like to point out that the distance of South America to the US is not that close as you might think. As an example, Buenos aires to NYC is over 5000 miles, while Paris to NYC is about 3500 miles.

Old 09-05-2016, 02:00 AM

64 posts, read 65,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I think this statement applies quite a few other countries as well the typical day to day lifestyle in the USA isn't that great and if you took away the advantage of cheaper material goods and higher pay it would actually suck. The typical American lifestyle is designed around work acquiring material goods and looking like you're doing well a damn shame in my opinion. Family, friends, good food and enjoying a sense of community and enjoying the outdoors are way less of a priority in practice even though a lot of people pay these things lip service.
lol south america if you're a middle class person is paradise!!!

middle class people in south america often have maids, owning a home doesn't cost hundredths of thousands like in the US or Europe.... plenty of holidays, cost of living is cheap

my best friend recently graduated from college in colombia and got a job as a social worker, his boyfriend works for a chinese company that imports heavy equipment into colombia.

Their income is enough to buy car, apartment, and now they're paying for a weekend home outside the city (medellin)

they recently went to miami on holiday and were shocked to see how much people worked.... she has also been to Europe (when I lived there) and not only felt sad because of the bad weather (gloomy often) but she was amazed because of the very high cost of living!

I think countries like the US are great if you're quite poor and not very qualified to find work in your country..... there you can start as a gardener and after years of hard work your children can find something better. Europe is ok because of the culture, but Europe has too much unemployment and one job opening will have 50 over-educated people competing over it making it really hard to get your foot on the door!

In Switzerland the pay is good, the standard of living fantastic..... the problem is finding work!! Good luck competing with 250 europeans from all over europe desperate to move to switzerland so they can get a good job as well!!!

Old 09-05-2016, 06:04 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Lol, sorry if that came across the wrong way on the internet, I was having fun with the two of you. That said, California has some of the most restrictive regulations in the country and a culture of keeping up with the Joneses. There is also a strong liberal elitist mentality that is pervasive out there. All of this creates an environment in which people don't focus on community and become totally self absorbed. Government is expected to fill the role of community. "It takes a village."

OTH, if you chop off South Florida, SoCal and Washington DC to Boston, community is still alive and well. It does not resemble the free and loose community cultures of Latin America (which I love in measured doses). It is more structured, but you can still leave your kids with the neighbors while you run out, older folks can get rides to and from appointments and people stop to chat.
The people even wave when you pass by and invite you over for BBQ or pool parties.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:08 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britney-Melbrooke View Post
lol south america if you're a middle class person is paradise!!!

middle class people in south america often have maids, owning a home doesn't cost hundredths of thousands like in the US or Europe.... plenty of holidays, cost of living is cheap

my best friend recently graduated from college in colombia and got a job as a social worker, his boyfriend works for a chinese company that imports heavy equipment into colombia.

Their income is enough to buy car, apartment, and now they're paying for a weekend home outside the city (medellin)

they recently went to miami on holiday and were shocked to see how much people worked.... she has also been to Europe (when I lived there) and not only felt sad because of the bad weather (gloomy often) but she was amazed because of the very high cost of living!

I think countries like the US are great if you're quite poor and not very qualified to find work in your country..... there you can start as a gardener and after years of hard work your children can find something better. Europe is ok because of the culture, but Europe has too much unemployment and one job opening will have 50 over-educated people competing over it making it really hard to get your foot on the door!

In Switzerland the pay is good, the standard of living fantastic..... the problem is finding work!! Good luck competing with 250 europeans from all over europe desperate to move to switzerland so they can get a good job as well!!!
You do understand that the high standard of living that you describe for the "middle class" in Latin America comes off the backs of the poor who live in real poverty, correct? What a paradise!

Limousine liberal?

Old 09-05-2016, 08:40 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
It's the reverse situation in Spain, where I've lived for most of the last year. The large Latino immigrant population there is overwhelmingly made up of South Americans. There are very few Mexicans and Central Americans; those I met in Madrid were all students. Dominicans are the only major non-South American group of Latinos in Spain. And Spain is even further from South America, plus these people are not all rich.
It's always been like that in Spain. They even call all Latino immigrants "sudamericanos" even if they come from Mexico or Dominican republic.. Well some use "sudaca" but that's a slur.

Madrid has many neighborhoods full of immigrants. I believe many neighborhoods in the Southern part of the city are full of immigrants. There are places where everybody on the street looks like an immigrant.

The funny thing though is that violent crime there hasn't really escalated even though they tend to be poor and unemployment in Spain is like 26%. Most criminals tend to be Eastern European and gypsies who probably got there by car. Well gypsies are something else, they have a culture that gives some of their youth little options.

The thing is that if we want to emigrate you would need to at least have enough money to buy an airplane ticket to Mexico or Spain. In Mexico and Central America all you need is a bus ride to the border. So the very poor south Americans cannot emigrate to the US or Europe.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:57 AM

990 posts, read 881,155 times
I will speak for Brazil (half south America) and the same apply for Argentina, Uruguay and a few for Chile.

You have remember Brazil used to be a reception migration country that competed against USA, Canada, Argentina and Australia for millions of Europeans labor force in the past. It used be a huge country, empty of people that always needed work force.
Like example only in Sao Paulo State 100 years ago in a space of 30 years it has imported 1 million of Italians and 750.000 Spanish and 250.000 Japanese for work in coffee plantations.

Brazil was the most unequal country in whole world because a internal reason, some places are highly industrialized, and industrialization in Brazil started in 30’s years. Other regions of Brazil has a agricultural production very big, Brazil is the second world food producer just behind USA, and both business need huge work force, and it is yet a country in expansion to countryside (we built Brasilia from the zero) needed many settlers and workers.

Brazilian government for decades have the politic of ‘’live borders’’ it is settler Brazilians in borders zones and Amazonia.

So you have to imagine that ALWAYS a poor Brazilian have the option of move to a rich area or new settler area inside Brazil, get a job and improve their lives. It isn’t so well paid as USA, but for millions of reasons easier to migrate. Poor center American don’t have this option, in the past include poor Mexican don’t have this option, Mexico used have more population than Brazil until 1970 and didn’t have business that needed tons of workers like farms.

Others less important reasons, because all that Brazilian government and elites have never encouraged immigration, they need the people, and how millions of Brazilians have close European and Japanese heritage and double citizenship is easier immigrate legal to that places than USA.

In the other hand Argentina, Brazil and Chile (in this order) received and receive millions of poor Bolivians, Paraguayans, Peruvians, Ecuadorians and Colombians (this last many refugees in the past) it mitigated the immigration of South Americans to USA.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:59 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britney-Melbrooke View Post

I think countries like the US are great if you're quite poor and not very qualified to find work in your country..... there you can start as a gardener and after years of hard work your children can find something better. !
Yeah, the US is also good if you are a professional as wages are much higher than South American countries. Anyway, the fact that a gardener can get a better wage in North America and find something better for his children says a lot about a country and its society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas