Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 10:13 AM

1,478 posts, read 788,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Now here is the reality about San Miguel. Heaven on earth.

Security worsening as crime up in San Miguel de Allende
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok]
The article you posted reports a rise in crime and a suggestion not to walk alone past 9 PM in San Miguel which used to be safe to walk at night alone it says.

Milwaukee has never been safe to walk alone my entire life. And I was born in 1971. And no need to wait until night to be assaulted in Milwaukee because you'll be attacked in broad day light.

The other city mentioned in the article is in the same state. Like Racine, Kenosha, Wauwatosa, Shorewood, and Milwaukee City are in the same state. Racine and Milwaukee tend to be the more violent prone. Not that violence can't or hasn't occurred in Kenosha, Wauwatosa, or Shorewood.

In terms of females risk of being physically assaulted by men in San Miguel, Toronto, London, LA, New York City, and Milwaukee... it can happen anywhere of course. Be it in San Miguel, Mexico or the good neighborhood of Bay View in Milwaukee. The issue also involves odds. As in you have greater odds of getting physically assaulted in the Sherman Park neighborhood of Milwaukee east of Sherman Blvd than you do in the nice and safe neighborhood of Bay View. And the Bay View neighborhood is certainly safe by both Milwaukee and United States standards.

Nonetheless, car robberies happen over there, and just recently a white woman walking her dog had her front teeth knocked out and jaw broke by a man.

You can see in the bottom video tears swell up in her eyes. The experience has emotionally harmed her. Now, if she was a young black boy living in the Sherman Park neighborhood the odds of another, several more physical attack happening to her, over the course of her life time, would increase by 1,000 times. With the addition of increased odds death will come to you by being beaten to death (which recently happened to a friend of mine), knifed to death, or shot to death.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gbnktOkp9IA

Bay View woman punched in the face while walking her dog

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W5llaSKpeMU

Woman beaten up while walking dog in Bay View

Bay View, although it has forcible rapes, theft, robberies, and an occasional assault... is probably safer than the neighborhood in Toronto the OP comes from. So, you can get your mug wired shut anywhere.

The assault left a number of women in the Bay View neighborhood frightened and so through a woman organizing it some of the women from that area have joined to take a martial arts class for self defense.

Your second link anyone can contribute to it appears. I punched in Milwaukee and it had 33 contributors to the survey questions and San Miguel, Mexico had 19. Via the contributors Milwaukee scored about a 59 for feeling safe walking during day time hours. San Miguel scored over 80. Which meant the people of San Miguel felt safer at night--at least derived from the 19 contributors (who may or may not have ever stepped foot in SAN Miguel).

Last edited by Yac; 12-07-2016 at 06:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Now here is the reality about San Miguel. Heaven on earth.
The reality of San Miguel as well:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VpbDhjoHqLc

Look at that jewelry and that gold, green, jeweled necklace that Latina wears. The men dressed sharp. And the beauty of the matrimony ceremony.

Compared to the reality of Los Angeles.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rcqxBiC043k

Plenty of ethnic Black-American women like this in Milwaukee too. I've been verbally assaulted and threatened by many of them. Notice how the woman follows the man around as he tries to leave and avoid her but she seeks violent combat. Then she slaps another man who then attacks her briefly. Until other black women jump on her.

Heaven on earth LA:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Af5ftyv6O8E

This is what American Democrats and Hollywood celebrities (with their jets and 3 mansions worrying about what f---in lightbulb I use in Milwaukee, Wisconsin) call "progress" and "being progressive."

Old 11-26-2016, 03:23 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,720,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogburn View Post
Bear in mind there are areas of Chicago as safe as the safest areas of Toronto or Alaska or Germany. So, where you lived in Toronto may have been rougher than some parts of Chicago.

But Chicago overall is a bad city and overall a dangerous one.

Cities are much like women or better yet the perception in the eye of a man looking at a woman or women. For example, I don't really follow the Kardashians but frequently when I log on the internet there is a photo and story about one of the Kardashian women. Due to the fact they are highly followed and highly esteemed by the most Americans. The Kardashian women are the sparkle in the eye of many young American men and the kind of women many young American women idealize and want to emulate. The Kadashians are a city.

But then you have a different city. A different woman. Toronto for example. Sexy, beautiful, but perhaps not in the Americannand European news as often. She is faithful, endearing, warm. Few young American women want to be her and few American men want to marry her. The American men are off chasing the unfaithful, conniving, *****. They pay little attention to the good woman.

Toronto is a good woman. As women go Chicago is a Black Widow.

Toronto is one of the greatest cities of North America. I suspect Toronto and Mexico City are the two greatest cities of North America. Two radically different cities too. Mexico City is a woman with problems due her circumstances but she is swarthy morena with wide hips and full, plump breasts. The beads of salty sweet on her cleavage nourishes men that have lacked salt in their diet and found their food too bland.

So, I have no science to the greatest cities of North America, I envision it in my mind through more method of art. And they may change or ebb and flow up and down.

In this order the greatest North American cities are:

1) Trononto and Mexico City

2) San Francisco and Boston

3) San Diego and Vancouver

4) Minneapolis, Minnesota and Charlotte, North Carolina

5) Miami, Florida and Austin, Texas

6) Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

7) Playa, Mexico and Virginia Beach, Virginia and Hampton, Virginia, and Mobile, Alabama and Biloxi, Mississippi

8) San Miguel, Mexico

Best wishes on your training. Thai boxing is good for women too (for anyone, but for smaller people especially).

Brazilian Jujitsu is good for women also. And less demanding and tasking in terms of impact to the body (e.g., being punched or kicked). In an elevator or small room the grappling techniques of Brazilian Jujitsu will be more beneficial than boxing or any style of kick boxing. If you can strangulate or break the ankle of a 300 pound man that is more beneficial when he's wrestling you on the food or bed or in a closet than trying to stop him with body shots or leg kicks.
Honestly ..... no where in Toronto is like an inner city on the USA. It is not even comparable. I honestly thought those stereotypes types of ghetto areas you see in TV shows were in exaggeration... but then I actually seen some and was pretty school. Toronto even in the worst parts is like Disney Land by comparison.

Re boxing ...Oh I was thinking of buying one of those punching bags..... I would be too scared that I would actually knock someone out. The only person that might want to worry is my husband . Two years ago I wanted to be a belly dancer ( took lessons, bought the outfits then got busy .. .....6 months ago I bought a guitar and drums ( they ate sitting in a corner) .... based on my previous pattern... I am likely not going to be gong pro any time soon.... but hopefully I will try some lesson/ classes in the new year. I don't want to practice with my husband if I actually miss and hit him hard I will NEVER hear the end of it.

One thing everyone should take from the Kardashians is that fact that doesn't matter how attractive you ate bad stuff can happen ex end up in abusive relationships, cheated on ... husband turns out to be transgend relating... you get robber..... but they always bounce back. I hate not beef with the Kardashians. I wish curvy brunettes with the it thing when I was in my teend/ early 20s. Even Kim experience domestic violence in her first marriage.

Last edited by klmrocks; 11-26-2016 at 03:43 PM..

Old 11-26-2016, 03:28 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,396,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Honestly ..... no where in Toronto is like an inner city on the USA. It is not even comparable. I honestly thought those stereotypes types of ghetto areas you see in TV shows were in exaggeration... but then I actually seen some and was pretty school. Toronto even in the worst parts is Disney Land by comparison..
Toronto has its spots but overall yes you are right, it is safe city. It always bothers me when kids there try to act 'hard" and talk about how hard their "hoods' are. They really have no idea.

Old 11-26-2016, 03:58 PM

Default I know ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Toronto has its spots but overall yes you are right, it is safe city. It always bothers me when kids there try to act 'hard" and talk about how hard their "hoods' are. They really have no idea.
I know..... I was at the Nicky M. Concert in Toronto and the Snoop Dog and Whiz K. Concerts in Toronto recently and was laughing inside at what I was seeing ... all these kids that don't even live in the rougher areas of Toronto going to this concert trying to act and dress all ghetto lol. I came from near an area with a bad reputation and it is not really to the same level as inner cities in the USA. Ex Jane and Finch.... yes if you are a woman walking around guys are likely going to follow you and try and talk and get your number.... they are not likely going to him physically try and grab you... there are security cameras now in buses and most stores. Nimitz likely to get robbed either. Growing up in the north west end of a toronto you know what areas yiu are more likely going to have men bugging you.... but to say someone is going to assault you .... not that likely. The west end has more problems now then the east ( where I live now).

Old 11-26-2016, 10:53 PM

klmrocks and UrbanLuis,

Nothing in Milwaukee, nada, zero thing, looks anything close to Skid Row in LA.

So, don't get the impression every inner-city in the USA resembles the sheer government led ignorance, antebellum style-racism, and destitution we all three see in those YouTube videos of Skid Row LA.

Toronto may well have areas more depressed and run down than some inner-cities in the some US cities (or it might not, I don't know).

I put Minneapolis, Minnesota on the list as one of North America's greatest cities for a reason. It's reputation among impoverished blacks in Milwaukee, Chicago, and Gary, Indiana is one of excellence. Quite a number of poor blacks from those 3 cities have relocated to Minneapolis. And the racial relations of all races in Minneapolis is rated excellent as well by the blacks from those 3 cities that move to Minneapolis.

I had one relative that moved to Minneapolis and fell in love with it. And another that went and visited him there. They both told me that the "hood" in Minneapolis looks like Grant Blvd. in the Sherman Park neighborhood. Now, I don't know how true that is but that is what they have said. Someone from Minneapolis on this board would be better qualified to say if that is true or not. But supposedly my relative (hooked on crack at the time, and he and his family were receiving government assistance, and help from the Minneapolis government or charitible organizations at the time) was living in one of those homes.

Sherman Blvd in Milwaukee used to house wealthy and the help of the wealthy that lived on Grant Blvd once upon a time long ago. Or so that is the story I was told a long time ago. And Grant Blvd. is a distinct street in the Sherman Park neighborhood characterized by its stately homes and lawns and wide street. Where the rest of the homes in Sherman Park are middle-class, a lot bungalows. A neighborhood of about 30,000 people.

So, to give you a visual idea of what my relatives claim the "hood" in Minneapolis, Minnesota looks like see the video below only between the 1:50 mark to 2:15 mark of the video. It is shot on Grant Blvd.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZouipRopzzE

Nota bene, LA and New York City don't come close to that. Many European and Canadian cities probably don't come close to housing their poor whites and poor racial minorities in such fine and stately accomodations.

Now, whether or not my relatives were exaggerating, one thing I know is both were adamant the "hood" in Minneapolis looks nothing close to as run down as that of Milwaukee's. (But honestly, no real slums exist in Milwaukee.)

The mentality of the people of Minneapolis is closer to that of the people of England and Canada than it is to that of the ignorant, backward people of LA and New York City. They are above the ignorant people of Milwaukee too. All three have a mentality closer to the slave plantations of Mississippi than the people of Charlotte, North Carolina do. So, there is irony there.

Old 11-27-2016, 11:08 AM

Default .......

Quote:
klmrocks and UrbanLuis,

So, don't get the impression every inner-city in the USA resembles the sheer government led ignorance, antebellum style-racism, and destitution we all three see in those YouTube videos of Skid Row LA.

Toronto may well have areas more depressed and run down than some inner-cities in the some US cities (or it might not, I don't know).

I put Minneapolis, Minnesota on the list as one of North America's greatest cities for a reason. It's reputation among impoverished blacks in Milwaukee, Chicago, and Gary, Indiana is one of excellence. Quite a number of poor blacks from those 3 cities have relocated to Minneapolis. And the racial relations of all races in Minneapolis is rated excellent as well by the blacks from those 3 cities that move to Minneapolis.

I had one relative that moved to Minneapolis and fell in love with it. And another that went and visited him there. They both told me that the "hood" in Minneapolis looks like Grant Blvd. in the Sherman Park neighborhood. Now, I don't know how true that is but that is what they have said. Someone from Minneapolis on this board would be better qualified to say if that is true or not. But supposedly my relative (hooked on crack at the time, and he and his family were receiving government assistance, and help from the Minneapolis government or charitible organizations at the time) was living in one of those homes.

Sherman Blvd in Milwaukee used to house wealthy and the help of the wealthy that lived on Grant Blvd once upon a time long ago. Or so that is the story I was told a long time ago. And Grant Blvd. is a distinct street in the Sherman Park neighborhood characterized by its stately homes and lawns and wide street. Where the rest of the homes in Sherman Park are middle-class, a lot bungalows. A neighborhood of about 30,000 people.

So, to give you a visual idea of what my relatives claim the "hood" in Minneapolis, Minnesota looks like see the video below only between the 1:50 mark to 2:15 mark of the video. It is shot on Grant Blvd.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZouipRopzzE

Nota bene, LA and New York City don't come close to that. Many European and Canadian cities probably don't come close to housing their poor whites and poor racial minorities in such fine and stately accomodations.

Now, whether or not my relatives were exaggerating, one thing I know is both were adamant the "hood" in Minneapolis looks nothing close to as run down as that of Milwaukee's. (But honestly, no real slums exist in Milwaukee.)

The mentality of the people of Minneapolis is closer to that of the people of England and Canada than it is to that of the ignorant, backward people of LA and New York City. They are above the ignorant people of Milwaukee too. All three have a mentality closer to the slave plantations of Mississippi than the people of Charlotte, North Carolina do. So, there is irony there.
I agree. It does vary. Both are big countries. But the ones I have seen that are likely the mors stereotypical ones in movies and TV shows don't compare. It is very likely there are similarity between rougher areas in some us/ canadian cities. In reality though .... I got out of those types of areas and I am thankful for the opportunity to have been exposed to different economic and social concerns in the city I live in. Where you come from and where you are heading don't have to be linked.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:27 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,396,033 times
Quote:
klmrocks and UrbanLuis,

Yeah, I am very familiar with LA and I have been through skid row, and you are right, I have never seen anything like it elsewhere in North America. It is a disaster. The areas adjacent to skid row have been cleaned up quite a bit though. I remember the 80s and early 90s when that whole area was a no mans land and everything was covered in graffiti. It looked even worse back then. I hope they can do something about skid row.

Minneapolis is a very nice city. My family goes to the twin city area a few times a year, they really like it. We currently live about 6/7 hour drive from the twin cities. Thanks for sharing the video, that area looks very nice. I hope I get a chance to explore Milwaukee someday.

Old 12-24-2016, 02:36 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
A big part of the violence in Latin America has been the war on drugs IMPOSED on them by the United States. This is differently true of the Andean region and Mexico. The US pushed past Colombian governments to wipe out the drug producing ability of Farc and the cartels. It didn't work and now the Colombian government and Farc have made peace with each other. Truthfully nations like Mexico should also admit they cannot stop the sale or transport of drugs and sign peace with the cartels as well and legalize drugs.

Drug legalization would end this nonsense. The US inner cities similarly have their own problems with drug turf violence, and out of all nations in the world the US has the most in prisons, though nations like China and India have more people than the US. Fortunately marijuana legalization has been picking up steam.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:51 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,920,376 times
Prolly self defense !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas