Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 08:58 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,225,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
[i]Some dishes of the American South were also adopted in general Brazilian culture, such as chess pie, vinegar pie, and southern fried chicken.[2]
Chess pie? Bwawawaha!

Thats it. Im going. I gotta see this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 10:11 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,329,218 times
Seems like they have buttermilk biscuits, watermelon, shrimp and grits, homemade ice cream and pecan pie and an chess pie for dessert and maybe they have some good kentucky bourbon and cocktails and tons of pretty girls and dancing, this festival seems like a blast

Old 11-29-2016, 10:41 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,241,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And it is the truth of this history which is why I have absolutely NO RESPECT for the Confederate flag or the Confederacy, period. No excuses.
It's understandable that blacks might never have respect for the Confederacy of the Confederate Flag but can you accept that many white people don't feel that way, don't see the Confederate Flag as a racist symbol...only a part of their history and culture flawed as it was? Just as blacks might view symbols of African nations or cultures who are also flawed and often had slaves?

Old 11-30-2016, 03:48 AM

990 posts, read 880,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Seems like they have buttermilk biscuits, watermelon, shrimp and grits, homemade ice cream and pecan pie and an chess pie for dessert and maybe they have some good kentucky bourbon and cocktails and tons of pretty girls and dancing, this festival seems like a blast
Interesting because they are normal dishes in whole Brazil and I have never associated them like southern US influence.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:16 AM

3,850 posts, read 2,225,598 times
Quote:
Interesting because they are normal dishes in whole Brazil and I have never associated them like southern US influence.
Chess pie is a normal dish in Brazil?

Seriously?

There are people in the United States that have never heard of it.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:22 AM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
It's understandable that blacks might never have respect for the Confederacy of the Confederate Flag but can you accept that many white people don't feel that way, don't see the Confederate Flag as a racist symbol...only a part of their history and culture flawed as it was? Just as blacks might view symbols of African nations or cultures who are also flawed and often had slaves?
Well, I can't accept it for this reason. I look at this issue based on FACTS. Facts tell me more about this than anything else. At its very core, the Confederate cause was a desperation to keep slavery. It's in the Articles of Secession and the now-defunct Confederate Constitution. Knowing that, how could one NOT look at it was "this is what was wrong with the South during that time"?

Truth is, there are symbols that I won't claim. I don't know what parts of West Africa my slave ancestors came from. However, I will look up a symbol before deciding whether or not I would claim it as my own.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:59 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,329,218 times
Quote:
I know okra and collard greens are all throughout the islands and America with the African influences. I think its the southern climate and the influence of the gulf stream on Southern weather that makes the south different. the south is much warmer than most of north america outside of california and arizona. Much more humid and sensual climate, you see stuff mardi gras in new orleans and mobile before easter like carnaval. I know a guy I played soccer with who moved from brazil to florida and always talked about how he loved all the palm trees and all the stuff you can grow here

People forget how close Florida is to the islands, you could take a jet ski from certain places in south florida and be in the bahamas in 40 minutes to an hour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtjDCFHWpM8

Old 12-02-2016, 09:19 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,430,476 times
Thank you for sharing this Evangelista. It is awesome! I would love to visit there with southern brothers and sisters. I have been to Sao Paulo, Recife, Rio de Janeiro, little Paulo Alfonso in Bahia, and Ubatuba. Eu fala poquito Portuguese.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:49 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,433,583 times
Pouquinho, you mean... if you're not familiarized to the inho you don't speak any portuguese at all.

Take a look at the site Festa Confederada – Old times there are not forgotten

Old 12-02-2016, 09:56 AM

990 posts, read 880,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
I know okra and collard greens are all throughout the islands and America with the African influences. I think its the southern climate and the influence of the gulf stream on Southern weather that makes the south different. the south is much warmer than most of north america outside of california and arizona. Much more humid and sensual climate, you see stuff mardi gras in new orleans and mobile before easter like carnaval. I know a guy I played soccer with who moved from brazil to florida and always talked about how he loved all the palm trees and all the stuff you can grow here

People forget how close Florida is to the islands, you could take a jet ski from certain places in south florida and be in the bahamas in 40 minutes to an hour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtjDCFHWpM8
Great! USA is really wonderful and diverse a world in one country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas