Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 09:58 AM

990 posts, read 879,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
Thank you for sharing this Evangelista. It is awesome! I would love to visit there with southern brothers and sisters. I have been to Sao Paulo, Recife, Rio de Janeiro, little Paulo Alfonso in Bahia, and Ubatuba. Eu fala poquito Portuguese.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
Pouquinho, you mean... if you're not familiarized to the inho you don't speak any portuguese at all.

Take a look at the site Festa Confederada – Old times there are not forgotten
Don't be so hard on them countryman! Americans listen Spanish all the time so is normal they mix some words of both languages

Old 12-03-2016, 02:45 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,098,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
It's understandable that blacks might never have respect for the Confederacy of the Confederate Flag but can you accept that many white people don't feel that way, don't see the Confederate Flag as a racist symbol...only a part of their history and culture flawed as it was? Just as blacks might view symbols of African nations or cultures who are also flawed and often had slaves?
It's not just Blacks the people who made the flag meant it to be a racist symbol. it's not subjective it was created to be something racist. Black Americans are not against white celebrating the south. Celebrating the South and celebrating the CSA is not the same thing.

Germans don't celebrate German history by celebrating the Nazi swastik, there other way to embrace America southern heritage with out even remotely going that direction. Some one mention southern foods, southern foods, southern architecture, accents and etc have nothing to do with the CSA, The CSA is a specific political ideas that centers around racism and treason.

Those symbols of African nations or cultures were not meant or base on those flaws. The abstraction to you took it to you might as well say all nations have flaws. But The CSA it self is center on racism there is no blight side too it.

Another thing the flag was not popular until the civil right movement of the 1960's. Racists use to flag to throw in the face of civil right activists. After the 70's Hollywood started using it stereotype the south. Bringing new life to the flag. Some southerner started revision and romanticizing that flag.

After the civil war before the great migration half of many southern states were half Black.

Alabama was 47.7% black
Georgia was 46.0% Black
Louisiana was 50.1% Black.
Mississippi was 53.7% Black

Racist feared living among free Blacks. So if you think about they left the South that had a enormous free Black population to go to Brazil which still had slavery.......... than some return when Brazil outlaw slavery and in the American south the Black population decrease and Jim crow kick in.

Brazil has a different Black population than the US so they basically got away with celebrating that flag. Because the group that the flag discriminate against it's not there. It's sort like talking behind someone back. I don't believe there prejudice at all and probably truly just trying to celebrate there southern heritage but I would imagine they are completely out of touch with how American feel. Also since they're not Americans they can't be called for celebrating treason.

Old 12-05-2016, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

Racist feared living among free Blacks. So if you think about they left the South that had a enormous free Black population to go to Brazil which still had slavery.......... than some return when Brazil outlaw slavery and in the American south the Black population decrease and Jim crow kick in.

Brazil has a different Black population than the US so they basically got away with celebrating that flag. Because the group that the flag discriminate against it's not there. It's sort like talking behind someone back. I don't believe there prejudice at all and probably truly just trying to celebrate there southern heritage but I would imagine they are completely out of touch with how American feel. Also since they're not Americans they can't be called for celebrating treason.

I think that is the point. My family is from both cities American founded and American descendants there celebrate this ‘’confederation fest’’ as if it were a kind of Oktober fest for Germans descendants or kind of celebration for Italian, Portuguese, Japanese etc… traditions.
Including they have there the 3 flags the confederation, American and Brazilian in the fest and many blacks and mixed race there.

Old 12-22-2016, 01:53 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
It's not just Blacks the people who made the flag meant it to be a racist symbol. it's not subjective it was created to be something racist. Black Americans are not against white celebrating the south. Celebrating the South and celebrating the CSA is not the same thing.

Germans don't celebrate German history by celebrating the Nazi swastik, there other way to embrace America southern heritage with out even remotely going that direction. Some one mention southern foods, southern foods, southern architecture, accents and etc have nothing to do with the CSA, The CSA is a specific political ideas that centers around racism and treason.

Those symbols of African nations or cultures were not meant or base on those flaws. The abstraction to you took it to you might as well say all nations have flaws. But The CSA it self is center on racism there is no blight side too it.

Another thing the flag was not popular until the civil right movement of the 1960's. Racists use to flag to throw in the face of civil right activists. After the 70's Hollywood started using it stereotype the south. Bringing new life to the flag. Some southerner started revision and romanticizing that flag.

After the civil war before the great migration half of many southern states were half Black.

Alabama was 47.7% black
Georgia was 46.0% Black
Louisiana was 50.1% Black.
Mississippi was 53.7% Black

I agree with the last paragraph, it may very well have lost touch with how the confederate flag would be used today by neoconfederates and neo nazis.

I would also add that most American Blacks still live in the South.

Old 12-22-2016, 01:59 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post

I think that is the point. My family is from both cities American founded and American descendants there celebrate this ‘’confederation fest’’ as if it were a kind of Oktober fest for Germans descendants or kind of celebration for Italian, Portuguese, Japanese etc… traditions.
Including they have there the 3 flags the confederation, American and Brazilian in the fest and many blacks and mixed race there.
This is a cultural celebration, in the Brazil context. Some of the people using the confederate flag today in the American context would say they want NO IMMIGRANTS (illegal or legal). Still I knew about Brazilian confederate descendants and thank you very much for presenting this important piece of history. It also shows you how the meaning of symbols can change over the time.

In essence, nothing is wrong with any symbol, what's wrong is someone using a symbol to represent hateful stuff.

Take crosses. Nothing is wrong with the cross. It's a religious symbol. However the KKK has used the cross as a symbol of hate. That doesn't mean every person using the cross intends hate, as some people maybe using it for cultural purposes.

In the US while I don't think the confederate flag should fly over state properties, for historical sites they'll often have all the flags that flew over that state. Some sites in Florida will have the Spanish flag, British flag, the American flag, confederate flag, and the Florida flag. Using the image of the confederate flag in a historical sense to me is not bad, however it's clear that there are people who do use this image in a hateful way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas