Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2016, 04:21 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,448,134 times

Advertisements

In the US, cities like New York, Boston, and Los Angeles are seen as intellectual hubs where white collar college educated people from other parts of the country to move to. Is this the same in Latin America? Are cities like Santo Domingo, Lima, and Bogota seen as the centers of intellectual life in their countries? Also are major cities in Latin America more liberal than the rest of the country they are in? For example, is Santo Domingo more liberal than the rest of the Dominican Republic and Lima more liberal than the rest of Peru?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 05:15 PM

827 posts, read 865,867 times
In Brazil, yes. Most of the top universities are located in major cities, like Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Brasilia etc.

Also, these major cities (the state capitals in general) are considered liberals comparing with the interior.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:51 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,434,616 times
Yes, I think it's like that anywhere in the world.
In Brazil Rio is the most important cultural center, althoug for the last decades São Paulo is the biggest city but it's also a major cultural center.
If you talk about universities, there are some among the most important that are in small towns too, as well in mid-size cites.

In Colombia, you also have Medellin. In Peru and Dominican Rep. the capitals are the main cities, for sure.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:44 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,726,557 times
In Colombia Bogota is the obvious intellectual hub but Medellin, Cali, Barranquilla and Bucaramanga all have top 1,000 world ranked universities also.

There are also several good universities in smaller student cities such as Tunja, Popayan and Manizales.

As for liberal, Bogota despite being conservative in its mannerisms is the most open minded city. Medellin is more staunchly proud and regional although in terms of sexual orientation tolerance, it's on par with Bogota, same for Cali.

The Caribbean coast is less liberal but far more extrovert and chilled.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:35 AM

881 posts, read 923,413 times
yes, of course. it's the same for all cities in the World, it's where universities, editorial industries, etc, are.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:12 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,101,846 times
I would actually be interested to know if there is a country in the world where the major city or cities are NOT seen as that country's intellectual hub.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:32 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,726,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
I would actually be interested to know if there is a country in the world where the major city or cities are NOT seen as that country's intellectual hub.
The UK; Oxford and Cambridge.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:22 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,101,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
The UK; Oxford and Cambridge.
Really? That's interesting. But if you read the OP, doesn't the vast majority of the UK white collar workforce go to London?
The OP spoke about an intellectual hub and a place where white collar workers congregate. I know Oxford and Cambridge are the top schools over there but I assumed all the graduates then moved to London.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:49 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,448,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
Really? That's interesting. But if you read the OP, doesn't the vast majority of the UK white collar workforce go to London?
The OP spoke about an intellectual hub and a place where white collar workers congregate. I know Oxford and Cambridge are the top schools over there but I assumed all the graduates then moved to London.
I agree. In the US, Princeton, Yale, and Harvard are the top three but they are not in major cities except for Harvard which has some parts in Boston. However Princeton is close to NYC and Philly, Harvard is close to Boston, and Yale is in Connecticut but not that far from NYC. Oxford and Cambridge aren't that far from London. I think you are right too that once they graduate they will probably end up in London or maybe Manchester or Liverpool, just like these Ivy League graduates in the US will probably end up in a city like Boston or NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas