Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2018, 02:26 PM

30,779 posts, read 19,433,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
In terms of incomes, there is no reliable data for each country, but these seem to the median wages from what I've seen

Argentina: $1000/month
Uruguay: $100/month
Chile: $800/month
Brazil: $700/month
Peru: $600/month
Colombia: $500/month
Ecuador: $500/month
Median income in the poorest US state (Mississippi) is $3000/mo for comparison and would be $3300 in the 2nd poorest US state (Arkansas) where OP I believe stated she lives. Also, the average work week in Latin America is a bit longer than the USA.

On the numbers referenced, Uruguay doesn't seem right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 03:18 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,366,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Oh right..yes, only Puritans go and live in Colombia. Thank you for correcting me.

Those one thousand plus sex tourism sites out there on Colombia, tons of single guys buying up apartments in Cali, Medellin and such to date women...nope, doesn't happen there. That's a different Colombia. No cocaine there either, never heard of that there either. Just a tourist thing. Salsa? Nope, nope, only tourists do that, expats in Colombia wouldn't want to dance. Nope. Completely disconnected, nope. Just a bunch of puritan expat types who post about the puritan stuff in Colombia...do a little volunteering with the churches...attend Mass on Sunday...that's about it.

Okay, got it. Thanks for setting me straight.

And now you are suggesting that I should take a 'trip' there? And get caught up in all the drugs and women, like those "CONSIDERABLE NUMBER OF TOURISTS" are doing that you are implicating? I spent a lot of time in South America already. Not that interested in going back solely to confirm your belief that only tourists do that. I'd go back for other reasons, but not for that reason.
Just cause there are a few dirty old dudes doesn't mean that every tourist goes to Colombia with "SEX SEX SEX" on their mind. You're extrapolating from a very small group of people. Aside from United States, most tourists to Colombia are from other Latin American countries, as well as Spain https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Colombia

From personal experience, most travelers in South America tend to be hippie backpacker types sorta like me. Lots of young people looking to travel and occasionally party. From what I read on the blogs, Latin America is kind of a lame destination if you're looking for just parties. The wildest sex parties would be in Asia, which has a lot more tourist infrastructure

Old 01-04-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Median income in the poorest US state (Mississippi) is $3000/mo for comparison and would be $3300 in the 2nd poorest US state (Arkansas) where OP I believe stated she lives. Also, the average work week in Latin America is a bit longer than the USA.

On the numbers referenced, Uruguay doesn't seem right.
You have to take into account cost of living. Aside from Argentina and Uruguay your dollar will go a lot farther in those countries. Basic necessities like food and public transport are especially cheap. I'd rather be middle class in Latin America than be lower class in the US

Old 01-05-2018, 05:24 AM

30,779 posts, read 19,433,058 times
Quote:
You have to take into account cost of living. Aside from Argentina and Uruguay your dollar will go a lot farther in those countries. Basic necessities like food and public transport are especially cheap. I'd rather be middle class in Latin America than be lower class in the US
So why do you assume that one middle class in Latin America would be lower class in the USA? I think I agree with you that being middle class in Latin America is better than lower class in the USA but the opportunity of going lower class to a higher class in the USA is more likely than doing the same in latin America.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:04 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,899,917 times
would be $3300 in the 2nd poorest US state (Arkansas) where OP I believe stated she lives. Also, the average work week in Latin America is a bit longer than the USA.

I'll be blasted!!!! that's exactly my monthly earnings. In France, that is considered a middle-class revenue!

Old 01-05-2018, 06:26 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,088,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Oh right..yes, only Puritans go and live in Colombia. Thank you for correcting me.

Those one thousand plus sex tourism sites out there on Colombia, tons of single guys buying up apartments in Cali, Medellin and such to date women...nope, doesn't happen there. That's a different Colombia. No cocaine there either, never heard of that there either. Just a tourist thing. Salsa? Nope, nope, only tourists do that, expats in Colombia wouldn't want to dance. Nope. Completely disconnected, nope. Just a bunch of puritan expat types who post about the puritan stuff in Colombia...do a little volunteering with the churches...attend Mass on Sunday...that's about it.

Okay, got it. Thanks for setting me straight.

And now you are suggesting that I should take a 'trip' there? And get caught up in all the drugs and women, like those "CONSIDERABLE NUMBER OF TOURISTS" are doing that you are implicating? I spent a lot of time in South America already. Not that interested in going back solely to confirm your belief that only tourists do that. I'd go back for other reasons, but not for that reason.
Or it could be that since you participate in sex tourism, you hang out with other sex tourists, and it seems like every single person going to wherever is involved in sex tourism but it's really your persona lifestyle.

The times I went to South America I never met sex tourists. I was an exchange student in Paraguay, we visited Brazil, and I had a working vacation in Colombia. I never met sex tourists in all three. I did meet tourists in restaurants who told me they were in Colombia in part for drug tourism, but even those tourists weren't in Colombia entirely for drugs. They were considering teaching English as a Second language.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliapreston View Post
Forgive me for being optimistic. Ok so I took a break from an online forum because I have a life. I have never left the continental US but I’m no dumbass. I was attempting to get my bachelors degree while you keep going on and on about me not getting or having one. I love how I log out and everyone who seemed so helpful starts talking about me like I’m just the dumbest girl in the world. Not only the rich can travel or move to another country. Clearly I’m thinking it through and wanting to come up with the best plan. I promise you I am quicker to take offense from something said by a Caucasian than any other race cause that’s just our history. People have been assuming things about me my entire life so nothing truly surprises me. As I’ve said before I get along far better with the Hispanic culture than other races any day cause where I’m from Caucasian people tend to treat Hispanics with as much hatred as the black race. I never took offense at being called black. I took at offense at our people being labeled or called “the blacks” as if you were narrating a documentary. When do you hear someone refer to Caucasian people as “the whites”? But if you are NOT black I could go on until I’m blue in the face and you I guess you just won’t get it. So I digress.
Well if you're serious about working in whatever country, you'll need to go to that nation's consulate. Again to get a visa you likely need a minimum of a bachelor's degree and you may very well need an advanced degree.

If you want to study in that country, provided you have enough money in the bank to study in that country and support yourself in that country you can get a student visa. Basically they're much more likely to grant you a visa if you show financial viability.

You aren't generally allowed to just up and move to another country for a working class job.

As for getting along with the Hispanic culture, you haven't gotten along with the Hispanic culture. You've been around American latino immigrants. Being in Latin America is different, as in Spanish people will call anyone of any race whatever they look like. Black people will be called morenos, and when people want to talk to you, they will refer to you as morena. And by the way I am Black. A blond person (or a really white person) depending on the country would be called rubio or mono and people when they want to get the blond person's attention will call that person rubio or mono. Someone who is Asian or who has dark hair or slanted eyes might be nicknamed Chino. There's a famous singer called La India (the Indian) because she had long straight black hair. US Latinos of course know this would be considered rude among non Latinos in the US, so you cannot judge what it's like being in Latin America based on having Hispanic friends in the US.

So if you're so hypersensitive towards people saying Blacks, you may wish to revisit that if you're going to Latin America.

Old 01-05-2018, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliapreston View Post
Thanks for your response. I am looking into alternatives now. I have been in the medical field for awhile now so I may looking into a work from home job like billing and coding or transcribing that I could travel with. Thanks for your input.
You can travel with these jobs, but each other has a certain amount of time you are allowed to stay there legally without some sort of long term visa.

Rather than just talking to people on City Data, you will need to pick whatever country and look up the legal and the financial criteria for long term visas. They exist in different categories. City Data alone is not a sufficient resource. You will need to talk to the people who have the ability to approve or deny you visa, and there is no getting around it.

You would also need to check out the job market, as in order to get a work visa you must have an employer willing to sponsor you.

Or if you say did have an online work at home job, you could study somewhere in Latin America and stay long term on a student visa.

But you can't just go to another country and stay there long term without some sort of legal status. You don't want to get in trouble with the authorities.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:28 AM

This is something true about the Bachelor's Degree, I'm applying to a bunch of overseas jobs and all of them want College Degrees. Even if youre coming from a developed country, they want someone who they know is gonna improve the community and not mooch off the social services there

Old 01-05-2018, 10:54 AM

55 posts, read 100,770 times
Quote:
This is something true about the Bachelor's Degree, I'm applying to a bunch of overseas jobs and all of them want College Degrees. Even if youre coming from a developed country, they want someone who they know is gonna improve the community and not mooch off the social services there
Gotcha. I I have decided to go a different route as far as income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas