Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 11:01 PM

10,384 posts, read 15,257,869 times

Advertisements

To the OP, more info:

Its just a short 3 hour plane ride from much of the eastern seaboard of the USA, 2 hours from Miami. That's good in both senses, 1. quickness to arrive from the USA and 2. if any family emergencies in the USA requires you to return (to attend a funeral, to visit your parents for a few weeks, and things like that) you know its a quick trip. Also, family members and close friends will be able to visit you more often due to cheaper flights and proximity. You leave early in the morning and you're there for lunch.

Last edited by AntonioR; 04-09-2018 at 11:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 11:39 PM

4,103 posts, read 3,761,214 times
Wow the couple in the first video is so annoying, especially the guy. I couldn't take much more of it.

You can tell he's part of brainwashed middle America without any notion of the outside world. For these type of people Dominican Republic is a good fit, looking for that easy life and a new pseudo family to hold their hands through it all. Not all people want this though. I wouldn't want to be in the bloodbath when one of these families falls out.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:56 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,121,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Not sure where you are going with this discussion. I’m aware that EU countries are developed and industrialized. I studied in the UK and traveled about the European continent. The issue is whether or not the OP wants that type of experience or wants to experience something different. The OP states that she is choosing a Latin American nation.

Yes, both Catalan and Spanish are official languages. I spoke Spanish there so I am aware that both are used. However, I do believe it important to speak Catalan, as it is the native tongue of the region.
The OP stated she is choosing Latin America, but she does not have that much travel experience. I'm not a tourist in Barcelona, I live here. It is not important to speak Catalan in Barcelona. Everything is in SPANISH. Foreigners generally don't learn Catalan that well.

And half the people in Barcelona aren't Catalan, more if you count tourists and other people temporarily here.

Why do some people from the Americas forum think that being from whatever country makes them an expert on countries they've either never been to or that they have only visited.

Catalonia is still apart of SPAIN and everything is done and available in Spanish. Of course they use Catalan as well, but that's more of a language at home. The educational system is bilingual. Barcelona itself is geared towards Castillian/Spanish, because of the heavy influx of people from other parts of Spain, Latin Americans, and foreigners in general who are not that inclined to prioritize Catalan.

Old 04-10-2018, 04:41 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,218,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The OP stated she is choosing Latin America, but she does not have that much travel experience. I'm not a tourist in Barcelona, I live here. It is not important to speak Catalan in Barcelona. Everything is in SPANISH. Foreigners generally don't learn Catalan that well.

And half the people in Barcelona aren't Catalan, more if you count tourists and other people temporarily here.

Why do some people from the Americas forum think that being from whatever country makes them an expert on countries they've either never been to or that they have only visited.

Catalonia is still apart of SPAIN and everything is done and available in Spanish. Of course they use Catalan as well, but that's more of a language at home. The educational system is bilingual. Barcelona itself is geared towards Castillian/Spanish, because of the heavy influx of people from other parts of Spain, Latin Americans, and foreigners in general who are not that inclined to prioritize Catalan.
Well, Latin America is where she would like to live. That’s fine. Everyone has to start somewhere and there is nothing wrong with starting in Latin America as long as proper research and preparation is done.

You should ask yourself that question, as that seems to be your issue. You seem offended that someone would like to learn a particular language just because you don’t feel it is valuable to learn. Shame.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:30 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,121,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Well, Latin America is where she would like to live. That’s fine. Everyone has to start somewhere and there is nothing wrong with starting in Latin America as long as proper research and preparation is done.

You should ask yourself that question, as that seems to be your issue. You seem offended that someone would like to learn a particular language just because you don’t feel it is valuable to learn. Shame.
There are too many liars on City Data. The OP wants to learn Spanish. I suggested Spain because it is a developed, Western country and as someone who has been to both Latin America AND Spain, I suggested Spain because it is a developed, Western country that I think is an easier transition for an American to make long term. Plus you don't have the safety issues in Spain that you would in much of Latin America.

At no point do you see me expressing any offense anyone is learning another language, I speak Spanish very well and I love the Spanish speaking world.

All you have to do is when you don't know much about something, ADMIT you don't know much about something and stop trying to declare yourself the expert on everything.

Old 04-10-2018, 05:24 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,218,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There are too many liars on City Data. The OP wants to learn Spanish. I suggested Spain because it is a developed, Western country and as someone who has been to both Latin America AND Spain, I suggested Spain because it is a developed, Western country that I think is an easier transition for an American to make long term. Plus you don't have the safety issues in Spain that you would in much of Latin America.

At no point do you see me expressing any offense anyone is learning another language, I speak Spanish very well and I love the Spanish speaking world.

All you have to do is when you don't know much about something, ADMIT you don't know much about something and stop trying to declare yourself the expert on everything.
Always looking for an argument where there is none to be had. That seems to be your M.O. on this forum. It’s not about being an expert on anything. People’s opinions vary. That’s life...learn to accept it.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:04 PM

1,153 posts, read 637,552 times
I have several relatives that are African American and live in Costa Rica and enjoy everything so far, even though I heard that you cannot get permanent employment as a U.S. expat.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:47 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,098,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
Funny how DR is one of the blackest and one of the whitest at the same time.
Black genes show more in phenotype, so you could have a Dominican that's 50% white and 50% African look less white than a Mexican whose 30% white and 70% native.

Old 07-28-2021, 07:02 PM

25 posts, read 17,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
that would be impossible. USA has 30 million African Americans. Brazil must have at least 50 million Afro-Brazilians, which is more than the total Colombian population.

This could give an idea of the genetic composition of different places in Colombia:

Also, this:
You’re way off and are deliberately understanding the African American population. The US has about 50 million people who identify as being African or black. Brazil only has 14 million who identify as African or black, but larger numbers of mixed (some of which are dubious).

The two are not different in terms of African contribution to the culture aside from the fact that the US has more Europeans - and Asians, Hispanic/Latino, or Natives/Pacific Islanders.

Old 07-29-2021, 01:16 AM

10,384 posts, read 15,257,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinatimitin View Post
You’re way off and are deliberately understanding the African American population. The US has about 50 million people who identify as being African or black. Brazil only has 14 million who identify as African or black, but larger numbers of mixed (some of which are dubious).

The two are not different in terms of African contribution to the culture aside from the fact that the US has more Europeans - and Asians, Hispanic/Latino, or Natives/Pacific Islanders.
Keep in mind that the USA practices the one-drop-rule mentality. Many of those people that claim to be black or African in the USA in reality are only a part and quite a few are mostly something else.

On the other hand, Brazil has a longer tradition of counting many mixed people as mixed, hence many that would not identify as black or African in Brazil would identify like that if their origin was the USA.

To put it bluntly, the figures of black or African people's from the USA is artificially increased. This increase is because of the identity of people like Mariah Carey, Derek Jeter, Lionel Ritchie (though usually people that look like him come out in ancestral DNA results as 60% to 70% African, not a small percentage are not even 50% African, believe it or not; they basically look more African than they are); Halle Berry, Barack Obama, etc. That's despite many of these recognize their mixed race in public, but their identity is of black and that's how they appear in the stats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas