Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 03:07 PM

55 posts, read 100,654 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I am a Black Female looking to possibly relocate from Arkansas, U.S. to a Latin American country. I work in the medical field and when I finish school for MRI tech I want to relocate not long after. Me and my significant other will be moving together. I would like to be able to buy land (inexpensive) and have a small farm but be close enough to the city to work.

Can someone tell me the best country (ies) for me? I'm interested in Argentina, Costa Rica, and Mexico.

Things important to me:
1. Safety
2. Non racist environment
3. Friendly people
4. Decent income comparable or better than southern U.S.

And can someone explain how difficult it is to mortgage lan/home in another country if you are not a citizen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 05:56 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,435,681 times
I have no knowledge about this area in Brazil, but this is the program for doctors who want to work here
Como se inscrever

It is well known that conditions in public health in Brazil are not good.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:15 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,729,878 times
Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliapreston View Post
Hello!
I am a Black Female looking to possibly relocate from Arkansas, U.S. to a Latin American country. I work in the medical field and when I finish school for MRI tech I want to relocate not long after. Me and my significant other will be moving together. I would like to be able to buy land (inexpensive) and have a small farm but be close enough to the city to work.

Can someone tell me the best country (ies) for me? I'm interested in Argentina, Costa Rica, and Mexico.

Things important to me:
1. Safety
2. Non racist environment
3. Friendly people
4. Decent income comparable or better than southern U.S.

And can someone explain how difficult it is to mortgage lan/home in another country if you are not a citizen.
Really curious what draws you to these specific places?
I am no expert .... but how come Panama or Brazil are not on your list. I have not been to Brazil... but both of these places seem more racially tolerant and diverse them some of the places on your list. Also I was pretty impressed with Panama when I was there in a lot of ways. I would really not overlook Panama. If I had to pick somewhere to invest in personal realty for a city vs rural mix I would strongly consider Panama. There seems to be a lot of good stuff going on there. It seems like a country really focused on it's future. Again.... I am not an expert... but I think you may want to consider Panama as well.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:47 PM

10,110 posts, read 14,985,985 times
I know this goes without saying, but sometimes someone needs to ask.

Do you speak Spanish? Are you fluent?

Old 02-20-2017, 06:59 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,730,181 times
If you're serious about relocating and I understand why with the increasing expenses of living in the US! You better be prepared to put the work in. So be sure to study the language of your host country hard - you need to be near fluent to be taken seriously.

Now that's out of the way, Colombia may be an option as it's ranked number 22 in the world by the World Health Organization which makes it the top ranked country in Latin America re: medical system. However, competition is tough but the fact that you come from a US higher education background would be an advantage (if you know Spanish or are willing to learn).

In a recent study nearly half (21 out of 45) of Latin America's best hospitals and clinics were in Colombia.

Source: Ránking Clínicas y Hospitales 2016 | AméricaEconomía

Also here are a couple of African Americans and a British black person who have decided to make Colombia and in particular Medellin their new home i.e. Young Black Expats and Cartess Ross from Escape to Medellin, after trying out in Costa Rica and Canada respectively, as well as others.

Black in Colombia

Jubril Agoro

Fli Heritage

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 02-20-2017 at 08:08 PM..

Old 02-21-2017, 02:00 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,544,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo_ View Post
. If you are black, the usa is without a doubt the best country to live in America.

That is a matter of opinion. I suspect that many highly educated black people from places like Barbados and Jamaica, who don't want to migrate, might disagree with you.

I will reword your comment to say that in countries where blacks are a minority the USA (and Canada) are probably better for upward mobile blacks than most of Latin America would be. Even though racial tensions will be more evident in the USA, though less in Canada.

Having said this a black American will probably experience fewer barriers than locals as they come with the "American" label. This assumes that they are fluent speakers of the local official languages of course.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:25 AM

127 posts, read 123,846 times
you can teach English at private schools in colombia, PLUS if you have some savings you can snatch some little farm/cottage outside a big city like Medellin and live there quietly.

better yet, you can work online with a US company and live in colombia

Old 02-21-2017, 06:30 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,730,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo_ View Post
If you are black, the usa is without a doubt the best country to live in America.
That's disputed by the black Americans in the videos above, they moved to Colombia in part to remove themselves from discrimination and tensions in the US, they say it themselves. I think that is quite telling.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:39 AM

881 posts, read 924,312 times
income in Southern US is much higher than in any Latin American country.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:33 AM

55 posts, read 100,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Really curious what draws you to these specific places?
I am no expert .... but how come Panama or Brazil are not on your list. I have not been to Brazil... but both of these places seem more racially tolerant and diverse them some of the places on your list. Also I was pretty impressed with Panama when I was there in a lot of ways. I would really not overlook Panama. If I had to pick somewhere to invest in personal realty for a city vs rural mix I would strongly consider Panama. There seems to be a lot of good stuff going on there. It seems like a country really focused on it's future. Again.... I am not an expert... but I think you may want to consider Panama as well.

Thank you for this. I will check into Panama as well. I'm sure Brazil is amazing and I do want to visit, but I would prefer a Spanish speaking country as I am already familiar with the language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas