Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 05:48 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,491,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfel View Post
I assume you intend this to mean that people live in fear of being robbed. I tell you, concrete walls in homes and much more common here than in the US, where homes, AFAIK, are mainly made of wood. So that has nothing to do with protecting yourself from robbers. Steel gates sound a bit rarer to me, and I see barbed wire from time to time but is not really that common in my experience. And, as regards your comment, you say "EVERYONE" lives... well, seems you like sweeping generalizations. It says a lot of you.

No. That only happens in ghettos and the like. If you live in a normal place, you don't lock up your bike because your neighbor will take; you lock it up because someone from somewhere else will take it. That is my experience at least. And, as Mhc1985 says, this happens in big cities and surrounding areas, not in small towns generally.
I'm sorry, but it's hard for me to believe you're being honest here. I'm not sure what you're calling a small town; maybe out in the country people feel more secure. Barbed wire is quite common, as are bars on every window, even in the nice suburbs of the cities. This is not simply a style or construction choice. It's done to protect the home.
Quote:
Have you ever been to Argentina? If the answer is no, then I don't see what kind of evidence is in front of your face.
Yes, I've lived in Argentina for almost 3 years now and have traveled it extensively.
Quote:
Haha. So I'm a leftist. And then you say you don't jump to conclusions.
OK, you're right. I'll retract that, it was unfair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Where did you get the idea that we are short of products? That's definitely not true.
Did you forget the tampon shortage from 2 years ago? Cooking oil is often in limited supply, machine parts, etc. Retailers are forced to keep low inventory because of inflation and the instability of the currency.

Old 03-22-2017, 01:02 PM

990 posts, read 880,350 times
High murders rates is connected with gangues, wars nowadays specially drug dealers wars, no with robbers or assaults.

The robbers only kill their victims for accident or when the victim reacts.

Argentina and Uruguay happily don’t have this kind of gangue wars found in others Americans countries.

Sao Paulo in Brazil has low murders rates basically because that, here don’t have gangue wars. There is a big organization who sell drugs with no competition.

Old 03-22-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
Different kind of ****holes. Argentina because of populism/leftism. USA because of segregation, ignorance, bigotry etc.
Right, because there's no classism, discrimination, or bigotry in Argentina. Go ask a poor, dark-skinned Norteno how he's treated in BA.

If this post wasn't serious, it would be comical. The ignorance revealed is simply astounding.

And you may wish to look a bit further into the statistics you cited earlier on those four dangerous U.S. cities. Consider their demographics and who exactly is committing all of that violence(hint: it isn't white Americans). The fact is, segregation, rather than the cause, was precisely the mechanism designed to prevent those cities from devolving into the ****holes they are today.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:01 PM

881 posts, read 922,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
Right, because there's no classism, discrimination, or bigotry in Argentina. Go ask a poor, dark-skinned Norteno how he's treated in BA.

If this post wasn't serious, it would be comical. The ignorance revealed is simply astounding.

And you may wish to look a bit further into the statistics you cited earlier on those four dangerous U.S. cities. Consider their demographics and who exactly is committing all of that violence(hint: it isn't white Americans). The fact is, segregation, rather than the cause, was precisely the mechanism designed to prevent those cities from devolving into the ****holes they are today.
There is a lot of racism, classism, etc all over the World but the USA is special for this, average Unitedstatesian is way more misinformed and clueless than someone any country of similar and even lower income.

Countries like France, Germany, Spain, etc etc have a lot of immigrants and Blacks but much lower homicide rates than USA. USA has serious issues about this.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
There is a lot of racism, classism, etc all over the World but the USA is special for this, average Unitedstatesian is way more misinformed and clueless than someone any country of similar and even lower income.
And you're basing this on what? Look, we're getting off topic, this isn't a thread about the US vs. Argentina, but this just isn't true. The US has done more to combat racism(through discrimination laws, hiring preferences, racial set-asides, etc.) than most countries.
Quote:
Countries like France, Germany, Spain, etc etc have a lot of immigrants and Blacks but much lower homicide rates than USA. USA has serious issues about this.
Here again, you simply don't know what you're talking about. The murder rate in Argentina is higher than the US, and the vast majority of US homicides are committed by blacks and Latinos, not whites. We've got a minority problem, not a murder problem. You need to avail yourself of some facts.

But I'll leave you with the same point I made on the other thread: If the US is nothing but a racist ****hole, there sure are a lot of non-whites risking there lives(and those of their children) to go live there.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:40 PM

881 posts, read 922,676 times
I don't know why you insist on suggesting Latino is a race, maybe you are too slow to understand such a basic idea, dunno. Even your country's census bureau makes clear that "Latino or Hispanic" can be of any race, and distinguishes "non Hispanic Whites" from "Hispanic Whites". Also, no, the crime rates of Latinos in the USA are barely higher than that of Non Latino Whites.

Even if you compare USA to Argentina, USA appears to be more violent and segregated. Argentina homicide rate is barely higher (Argentina is 6 per 100.000 people; USA, 5 per 100.000). But Argentina has much lower income and much less resources for its legal system, law enforment, etc. Also Argentina doesn't have hyper violent cities with skyrocketing homicide rates as USA has. I could say that most Argentina homicides are commited by a certain group, it doesn't matter, they are citizens of the country. Again, it only shows how you have failed to make a cohesive, pacific society.

Now if you compare USA to any other developed country (even the ones which have at least half the income of the USA), USA appears to be the most violent, segregated and socially underdeveloped. This video explains it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ7LzE3u7Bw&t=727s

People just emigrate to the USA because of a simple reason: you can make more money there than in your country of origin.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
I don't know why you insist on suggesting Latino is a race, maybe you are too slow to understand such a basic idea, dunno. Even your country's census bureau makes clear that "Latino or Hispanic" can be of any race, and distinguishes "non Hispanic Whites" from "Hispanic Whites". Also, no, the crime rates of Latinos in the USA are barely higher than that of Non Latino Whites.
Again, if you'd like to debate the Latino/White question, feel free to open a thread in the appropriate forum and I'll be happy to participate. But that includes the expectation that you're actually interested in a serious discussion rather than lobbing juvenile insults.
Quote:
Even if you compare USA to Argentina, USA appears to be more violent and segregated. Argentina homicide rate is barely higher (Argentina is 6 per 100.000 people; USA, 5 per 100.000). But Argentina has much lower income and much less resources for its legal system, law enforment, etc. Also Argentina doesn't have hyper violent cities with skyrocketing homicide rates as USA has. I could say that most Argentina homicides are commited by a certain group, it doesn't matter, they are citizens of the country. Again, it only shows how you have failed to make a cohesive, pacific society.

Now if you compare USA to any other developed country (even the ones which have at least half the income of the USA), USA appears to be the most violent, segregated and socially underdeveloped. This video explains it:

People just emigrate to the USA because of a simple reason: you can make more money there than in your country of origin.
Again, this is not an Argentina vs. US debate. It's obvious you were offended because an American offered an opinion and some facts about the epidemic crime in Argentina. Your response is a straw man: "There's violent crime in the US, too!" So what? No one is suggesting otherwise. You keep wanting to talk about homicide rates when we've already agreed that Argentina's homicide rate is relatively low. The fact remains, no matter who points it out to you, that the vast majority of the people in Argentina do not feel they or their property is safe.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:01 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,371,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
Again, if you'd like to debate the Latino/White question, feel free to open a thread in the appropriate forum and I'll be happy to participate. But that includes the expectation that you're actually interested in a serious discussion rather than lobbing juvenile insults.

Again, this is not an Argentina vs. US debate. It's obvious you were offended because an American offered an opinion and some facts about the epidemic crime in Argentina. Your response is a straw man: "There's violent crime in the US, too!" So what? No one is suggesting otherwise. You keep wanting to talk about homicide rates when we've already agreed that Argentina's homicide rate is relatively low. The fact remains, no matter who points it out to you, that the vast majority of the people in Argentina do not feel they or their property is safe.
1) You are the one who established a comparison between Argentina and the USA in your very first post of this thread, and happily continued the discussion, and it's OK, as comparisons offer appropriate settings to see the individual state of something in the context of the big picture. Moreover, there is nothing wrong in branching out discussions as long as the core topic is still there... until you got confronted by figures. Be mature, stop whining and deal with it!

2) Talking about figures, you brought none on crime, even less on the precise question of the OP. You just stated some odd opinions and justified them saying things like "Experience IS reality". Other poster did bring some actual data (i.e. murder rates).

3) The Latino/White debate became relevant from the moment you sketched out the 'race' related features of crime in the USA. It's incidental in this thread, but not off-topic, all the more since such a ridiculous confussion in the meaning of 'Latino' shows a severe hindrance in the possibility of having a mature exchange with you.

4) You complain about the alleged usage of a straw man, but you are all the time using ad hominem and victim playing.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
1) You are the one who established a comparison between Argentina and the USA in your very first post of this thread, and happily continued the discussion, and it's OK, as comparisons offer appropriate settings to see the individual state of something in the context of the big picture. Moreover, there is nothing wrong in branching out discussions as long as the core topic is still there... until you got confronted by figures. Be mature, stop whining and deal with it!

2) Talking about figures, you brought none on crime, even less on the precise question of the OP. You just stated some odd opinions and justified them saying things like "Experience IS reality". Other poster did bring some actual data (i.e. murder rates).
Which figures was I confronted with? Again, no one denies that there's murder/violence in the US. In line with the topic, as I pointed out, when we consider all violent/property crime, Argentina ranks among the worst in the world per capita. And your claim that this is strictly in the larger cities is simply not true.
Quote:
3) The Latino/White debate became relevant from the moment you sketched out the 'race' related features of crime in the USA. It's incidental in this thread, but not off-topic, all the more since such a ridiculous confussion in the meaning of 'Latino' shows a severe hindrance in the possibility of having a mature exchange with you.
I didn't say it isn't relevant, I think it certainly is, but it is not the focus of the topic. This was actually in reference to comments made in another thread. If you want a mature conversation, then you're going to have to start seeing the world like a big girl now. There is an obvious cultural difference in Argentina versus other parts of the world when it comes to theft/dishonesty and criminality in general. That point was made by another poster and I concurred. This is a fact, and it's clear to the most casual adult observer in how they respond to criminals, the resources they commit to law enforcement, tolerance of LE corruption, etc. They're more concerned with a criminal's "human rights" than protecting innocent people. But, like a child who sweeps her mess under the rug, you'd like to pretend this doesn't exist. And yet you talk about maturity?
Quote:
4) You complain about the alleged usage of a straw man, but you are all the time using ad hominem and victim playing.
I've not 'played the victim' or used any ad hominems in this thread. I did call one poster a leftist(some might call that an ad hom), but I immediately retracted that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas