Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 09:41 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
You guys aren't paying attention. In my previous post, I included both of these sentences:

"I've been here for almost 3 years now, and I'm not uncomfortable. Despite the problems, I happen to like it here."

I never said the country is awful; it isn't. I like Argentina, but that doesn't prevent me from seeing the problems that do exist, and being honest about them.
Yes, you claim the country is so full of crime, every one is fearful, etc. If this is true it does not make sense for you to stay in a place you say is so bad. In short you're trolling!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 02:06 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,491,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Because any troll on the internet can make any claims and I have no proof you're in or have been to Argentina.
That's true, and I have no interest in trying to prove it to you. Nor do I have any proof that you're a writer, from/in NY, or have ever even spoken to an Argentine. I've accepted your claims on your word and have responded accordingly. You're free to do the same or not. Again, you can believe what you like, it doesn't matter to me.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Yes, you claim the country is so full of crime, every one is fearful, etc. If this is true it does not make sense for you to stay in a place you say is so bad. In short you're trolling!
Again, I never said that the country is "so bad". I did say Argentina has a serious crime problem, and I stand by that. I like Argentina despite that problem and I'm comfortable here. I'll repeat my earlier example: Suppose I claim the traffic in L.A. is maddening or the weather in Houston is stifling, yet I choose to stay in either place. Is that trolling? Of course not. What a silly notion.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
I understand also you were speaking of the more affluent suburbs in New Jersey, Long Island, etc.

Seems to me that the amount of fear of crime in NYC neighbourhoods (though not the affluent suburbs) in the 1970s was about the same as the amount of fear of crime in BA city and suburbs these days?
I would say it's comparable, yes. But it's important to note that the crime in NYC at that time was a "spike", so to speak. We remember and talk about it, still today, precisely because it was unusually high; it was abnormal. It wasn't so durable as to leave a lasting change on the character of those neighborhoods. The residents there don't instinctively surround their property with 6 foot walls and razor wire. They don't ignore graffiti convinced it'll simply be replaced within a week of its removal. Therein lies the difference. It's the persistence and ubiquity of crime that has shaped the neighborhoods of BA.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:54 PM

836 posts, read 1,255,533 times
Quote:
I would say it's comparable, yes. But it's important to note that the crime in NYC at that time was a "spike", so to speak. We remember and talk about it, still today, precisely because it was unusually high; it was abnormal. It wasn't so durable as to leave a lasting change on the character of those neighborhoods. The residents there don't instinctively surround their property with 6 foot walls and razor wire. They don't ignore graffiti convinced it'll simply be replaced within a week of its removal. Therein lies the difference. It's the persistence and ubiquity of crime that has shaped the neighborhoods of BA.
But I thought that even nowadays many lower-level windows in NYC still have iron bars and many doors there still have multiple locks. And the high NYC crime did last for 20-25 years, from the late 1960s to the late 1980s-early 1990s.

Also, wasn't crime in BA significantly lower before the economic/political implosion of 2001-02, and then crime spiked and it became somewhat lower, then plateauing or steadily rising to the still-high levels seen nowadays?

I'm wondering, as well, if Pres. Macri will soon do his part to reduce crime in BA and Argentina in general, given that he's a less corrupt president than most recent presidents?

Last edited by yofie; 04-26-2017 at 04:11 PM..

Old 04-26-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Again, I never said that the country is "so bad". I did say Argentina has a serious crime problem, and I stand by that. I like Argentina despite that problem and I'm comfortable here. I'll repeat my earlier example: Suppose I claim the traffic in L.A. is maddening or the weather in Houston is stifling, yet I choose to stay in either place. Is that trolling? Of course not. What a silly notion.
Except serious crime is such danger to your possessions or to yourself, so if it is that bad you're irrational for staying there or you are lying about something.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Except serious crime is such danger to your possessions or to yourself, so if it is that bad you're irrational for staying there or you are lying about something.
OK, so by your logic, anyone who recognizes that he's living in a high-crime area and stays there anyway is either irrational or lying? Wow. Just...wow. I have to admit, I've rarely been confronted by such ignorance. MILLIONS, dare I say BILLIONS of people live in high-crime areas, and they all know they live in high-crime areas. But how stupid they all must be. NyWriterdude has the answer: just leave.

Yep, I guess you're right. You caught me; I'm just a troll. I've never actually been there. In fact, I can barely even spell Argentina. You're obviously much too smart a guy to waste anymore time here. I mean, being a NY writer and all, surely you must have better things to do.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
OK, so by your logic, anyone who recognizes that he's living in a high-crime area and stays there anyway is either irrational or lying? Wow. Just...wow. I have to admit, I've rarely been confronted by such ignorance. MILLIONS, dare I say BILLIONS of people live in high-crime areas, and they all know they live in high-crime areas. But how stupid they all must be. NyWriterdude has the answer: just leave.

Yep, I guess you're right. You caught me; I'm just a troll. I've never actually been there. In fact, I can barely even spell Argentina. You're obviously much too smart a guy to waste anymore time here. I mean, being a NY writer and all, surely you must have better things to do.
I don't think you have millions of AMERICANS who move to South America and who constantly complain about the crime.

You pretty much only bash Argentina, and you still can't even say why you stay there (beyond a vague I like it). It makes no sense for an American to stay in ANY other country where he feels unsafe, it's not like the US is a poor war torn country.

So clearly you aren't telling the truth about a lot of things.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
But I thought that even nowadays many lower-level windows in NYC still have iron bars and many doors there still have multiple locks. And the high NYC crime did last for 20-25 years, from the late 1960s to the late 1980s-early 1990s.
I can't speak specifically to NYC as I don't live there, but I'm sure that's true of certain neighborhoods, just as it is in Minneapolis, Chicago, Fort Worth, Fresno, or Miami. If you examine them more closely, you'll find the common denominator.
Quote:
Also, wasn't crime in BA significantly lower before the economic/political implosion of 2001-02, and then crime spiked and it became somewhat lower, then plateauing or steadily rising to the still-high levels seen nowadays?
Crime rates rise and fall in Argentina, as they do anywhere else. I could give you solid reasons to explain every shift on the graph, but it's all going to depend on who/what you want to believe. For every explanation I could offer there is an alternative explanation, equally worth considering.
Quote:
I'm wondering, as well, if Pres. Macri will soon do his part to reduce crime in BA and Argentina in general, given that he's a less corrupt president than most recent presidents?
Don't hold your breath. Macri was the lesser of two evils, no question, but Argentina doesn't yet have the political will to seriously address the crime problem. How can they when they insist that every criminal cast a vote?

Old 04-26-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
I don't think you have millions of AMERICANS who move to South America and who constantly complain about the crime.

You pretty much only bash Argentina, and you still can't even say why you stay there (beyond a vague I like it). It makes no sense for an American to stay in ANY other country where he feels unsafe, it's not like the US is a poor war torn country.

So clearly you aren't telling the truth about a lot of things.
I wasn't speaking strictly of Americans. You suggested I was irrational or lying simply because I choose to live in a high-crime country. My point was that MILLIONS of people around the world make that same choice every day. Are we all irrational and/or lying?

I could easily explain why I stay here, but neither you nor anyone else have ever asked me to do so. Given what you've posted so far, it's no surprise to me that it wouldn't make sense to you. But I don't "bash" Argentina, I simply tell the truth about it, as I do anything else.

And again, I'm not sure how many times you need to be told, but I'll repeat it once more and type slower: I'm C-O-M-F-O-R-T-A-B-L-E H-E-R-E. That is, I... DO... NOT... FEEL... UNSAFE. Got it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas