Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 06:21 AM

1,005 posts, read 886,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Can someone explain what the indigenous Brazilians were protesting in Brasilia on 4-25-17 and why were they trying to occupy the congress?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJZ-QKIcz_U
They have lands bigger than Europeans countries for few thousands of Indians and social benefits from Brazilian State and younger Indians may work in the arms forces for high wages but never is enough for these people.
Whites and southern Brazilians ‘’must’’ support these people ad aeternum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 08:39 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,376,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
They have lands bigger than Europeans countries for few thousands of Indians and social benefits from Brazilian State and younger Indians may work in the arms forces for high wages but never is enough for these people.
This is also the case for some native nations in Argentina. Let’s clarify that every group is different and has different issues, that many of them are still living in stricken poverty and work as cannon fodder for eternal feudal lords-like governors. However, as everyone in the world, they can have agendas, be corrupt, etc.

Some people like bragging about their alleged social awareness expressed as being vigorously supportive to them, but at the end of the day they just see them as good savages, which I find it disgusting.
When I was in Chaco Province, a very coherent public servant whom I worked with said that one of the problems he had to face is that some people want to live according to their very traditional lifestyles while enjoying from a middle class quality of life. You can’t be a hunter-gatherer and get wealthy enough to apply for all the western goods and services. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work this way.

Another authority in Misiones Province told me that the amount of ‘indians’ boomed magically in the last years, as many ‘regular argentines’, I mean, people not affiliated to any native nations but with evident native ancestry started claiming to belong to some tribe in order to get benefits. This brought lots of internal social problems, as equally poor people are treated differently depending on such affiliation.

The case in Neuquén Province is the more complex and ridiculous at the same time, as Mapuches are the noisiest of the native peoples and they are not even native to Argentina, but came from the Chilean Araucania in several waves during the last 400 years (especially during the 1800s). To make it worse, they claim lands in the middle of the Patagonian Steppe, areas traditionally inhabited by Tehuelches, and far from their more plausible ancient areas. Claiming lands in the wetter Andean region that borders Chile would make more sense, let’s say. I visited that desert (around the town of Añelo) a couple of months ago and there is nothing –no water, few grasses, and almost no big animals. Well, there is something: oil. I was told they are not even traditional mapuches, and that there was no one 30 years ago, but some rascals succeeded in getting land rights for some oil areas by claiming land ancestry and, surprise, surprise, all of a sudden a lot of mapuches materialized from the nothingness!

Yes, many people like feeling they are good sensitive souls because they support some minorities’ rights, and many minorities were and still are heavily oppressed, but I want them to get more informed and be less emotional about the issue, so we can all focus on the problems better instead of just showing off.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:28 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,800,313 times
Quote:
Yes, all Whites in Brazil are such victims. You are outcasts, excluded from society, all of your identity and money are taken from you as well. Poor souls.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:46 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,438,177 times
Quote:
Since I was born I don't remember heraring about them inavding farms or cities, killing people that aren't indians, devastating huge areas and its fauna and flora just to make endless areas of monoculture, and so on.
On the other hand I see year after year farmers killing indians, animals, forests... intimidating worker's fiscals, police, judges, killing some of them, but it's never enough for these people.

Old 04-28-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Yes, all Whites in Brazil are such victims. You are outcasts, excluded from society, all of your identity and money are taken from you as well. Poor souls.
Yes is exactly this. My State sent last year 500 billions in taxes for the Union and it received only 40 billions back. Money for support all kind of unproductive people and States.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
Since I was born I don't remember heraring about them inavding farms or cities, killing people that aren't indians, devastating huge areas and its fauna and flora just to make endless areas of monoculture, and so on.
On the other hand I see year after year farmers killing indians, animals, forests... intimidating worker's fiscals, police, judges, killing some of them, but it's never enough for these people.
The coronéis (land lords, heritage of slavery epoch) made these atrocides but not just with native indians it happened with small farmers whites, blacks or mixed races too and Brazilian goverment has never supported it.
It is a police issue and nowadays with the more presence of the Brazilian State in deep Brazil very rare.

Old 04-28-2017, 01:28 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,800,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
Exactly.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:26 AM
AFP AFP started this thread

7,412 posts, read 6,916,348 times
Some sources I've read state that they are protesting that the government of President Michel Temer is allowing land grabs. Apparently some crooked powerful Agribusiness companies have congressmen in their pockets. The coffins are to honor the indigenous people killed in the process of the land grabs which apparently is a common thing. They are asking for a constitutional amendment giving congress to ability to demarcate Indian land. The claim is that powerful Agribusiness companies hire armed gunmen to push the Natives off resource rich lands and in the process kill Natives every year.

Old 04-30-2017, 02:17 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,344,934 times
It would make sense that they are protesting the corporations' invasion of their lands. The fact that the Brazilian government allows this to continue is atrocious. This is what happens when the government is run by corporate interests as opposed to the people

Old 04-30-2017, 03:22 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,400,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
Maybe they want their country back....
The Natives never controlled the Brazilian government, how could they 'get it back'.

Or perhaps you mean they wish they had representation and/or sovereignty over their lands so that the resources and environment wouldn't be destroyed to make $$$ for fat cats in the cities. That is a more reasonable argument.

But to say "They want their country back" is a naive oversimplification and so generalized that doesn't do real justice to their real problems and concerns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas