Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 06:59 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,777,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
The only people we had any issues with - on this trip - were visiting Americans in touristy locations.
Obnoxious people?

I'd like to hear more about this, as well as your comment about the macho stuff you don't like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 07:29 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,696,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Obnoxious people?

I'd like to hear more about this, as well as your comment about the macho stuff you don't like.
We spent a few days in Tamarindo around the first week in May, at the advice of a friend. What we didn't realize is how touristy the town is. Most of the restaurants were geared towards foreign visitors, with only a couple of sodas in the area. A majority of the tourists were kids likely fresh from college. They were there to blow off steam and there was plenty of it. I'm sure I was obnoxious when I was in college, as well, but the experience left a bad taste in our mouths.

We made quite a few connections while we were in Costa Rica. One was a couple from Canada who was living in the Guanacaste region and happened to be in Tamarindo for their Thursday Night Festival. They were vendors selling ice cream and I had a conversation with them for nearly an hour. Great couple, but they echo'd what I have said - most of the issues they have had are with expats moving to the country, not the locals.

At our last Airbnb, our host gave us his backstory and why he and his wife moved to Costa Rica. They originated from Quebec, but had worked with the nuns in Nicaragua and had enjoyed their time there. After scouting several locations in Central America, they settled in Atenas, described as their "sweet spot". He said the overall culture was different, as they didn't have a standing army and didn't have the macho mindset. There wasn't the competitiveness that is taught in the US, Canada and European nations. This was the type of culture he wanted to raise his son.

I've worked in a business atmosphere for more than 30 years. When you are "in the zone", the competitiveness isn't so bad - it becomes a way of life. But, when you are finally able to step back from it and slow things down a bit...let's just say I don't miss it.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:41 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,777,391 times
Yeah, that competitiveness has always rubbed me the wrong way. I continue to have to deal with it in Silicon Valley. I agree with you that you don't find it in Latin America. Competitiveness you see in Latin America is of a different variety.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:56 PM

317 posts, read 373,686 times
I found Costa Rica and Sri Lanka to be very similar. Tons of wildflife and natural beauty and friendly people. Albeit the recent violence and bombings in Sri Lanka make me wary. But in my visit 4 years ago it was calm and I kept seeing comparisons between the two countries.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:34 PM

536 posts, read 610,700 times
Only place in Central America I have not been, the cost has always turned me off a bit. I have a friend who lives there and loves it though, makes amazing money but admits, ya, it is super expensive.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:38 PM

2,148 posts, read 1,696,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmusic29 View Post
Only place in Central America I have not been, the cost has always turned me off a bit. I have a friend who lives there and loves it though, makes amazing money but admits, ya, it is super expensive.
Which part does the friend find expensive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas