Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 12:59 PM

883 posts, read 930,558 times

Advertisements

hard to compare the 3 cities in terms of safety because there is no consolidated data other than homicide rate. I live in Bogota metropolitan area and it definitely couldn't be considered a safe city, but, from what I've heard, Mexico City or Bs As are not precisely safe either. I have a Mexican friend living there who was been robbed 5 times near his house, in his "colonia" in Mexico City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
Doesn't Buenos Aires speak the most unique Spanish of the three?... and is therefore not the best place to learn the language?
nah, it's an overstatement. the main feature of Rioplatense speech is the use of "vos", which is used in the rest of Latin America anyway, on different ways/degrees/conjugations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 01:18 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,107,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
hard to compare the 3 cities in terms of safety because there is no consolidated data other than homicide rate. I live in Bogota metropolitan area and it definitely couldn't be considered a safe city, but, from what I've heard, Mexico City or Bs As are not precisely safe either. I have a Mexican friend living there who was been robbed 5 times near his house, in his "colonia" in Mexico City.

nah, it's an overstatement. the main feature of Rioplatense speech is the use of "vos", which is used in the rest of Latin America anyway, on different ways/degrees/conjugations.
Didn't know...thanks for the info

Old 05-27-2017, 02:17 PM

10,315 posts, read 15,180,545 times
Quote:
Sure about that?

Old 05-28-2017, 07:35 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,061,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oraculo View Post
If your main goal is to learn Spanish then Bogota is your best choice, Colombian accents are highly renowned amongst Spanish speaking people and also Colombia has got the most accredited institutions for learning Spanish: https://sites.google.com/a/sicele.org/sicele/

+ Colombia has got the oldest Academia de la Lengua Española in the continent.

+ Weather in Bogota is cooler than either Buenos Aires or Mexico City.

+ You get a chance to travel Colombia.
Pretty much agree. Accent and dialect make a difference, you wouldn't want to learn in English as a second language in Jamaica. The Rolo accent is fairly generic (if there is such an accent) and will serve you well wherever you travel.

Old 05-28-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Sure about that?
that map goes in line with what I wrote...

also, I don't know what is that "voseo spoken, not written". what would prevent people outside of Argentina and Uruguay to write using voseo? nothing. in fact, books like Rosario Tijeras from Colombian writer Franco is written in the "vos" form.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:04 AM

1,010 posts, read 895,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Pretty much agree. Accent and dialect make a difference, you wouldn't want to learn in English as a second language in Jamaica. The Rolo accent is fairly generic (if there is such an accent) and will serve you well wherever you travel.
Argentineans speak standard Spanish no way of compare with Jamaica or others countries where people speak creole between them and English only with foreigner and in formal issues.

When Spanish native speaker learn the language they learn both forms, using ‘’voseo ‘’and ‘’tu’’ so although someone don’t use one or other way they understand both ways that are really from Spanish language Argentineans don’t invented ‘’voseo’’.

Is similar what happen in Portuguese here in São Paulo people use only ‘’você’’ similar the voseo with different verbs conjugation and in others parts of the country people use ‘’tu’’ form but we learn both ways at school.

I used to be a Spanish teacher and taught with books from the Spanish ‘’Instituto Cervantes’’ (from Spain) and including in these books there is voseo and words used just in American countries for prepare the students for communicate with any Spanish speakers around the world.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:15 AM

1,010 posts, read 895,862 times
Quote:
that map goes in line with what I wrote...

also, I don't know what is that "voseo spoken, not written". what would prevent people outside of Argentina and Uruguay to write using voseo? nothing. in fact, books like Rosario Tijeras from Colombian writer Franco is written in the "vos" form.
Yes both ways are Spanish and correct but ''voseo'' has fallen into disuse in mostly Spanish countries.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:30 PM

if voseo is disappearing, the process is very slow. it's still widespread all over Latin America.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:03 PM

13,560 posts, read 10,403,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_arkitect View Post
Hello!

I work in the architectural profession as a designer for a firm in San Francisco.

It is a goal of mine to learn Spanish fluently andI believe the best way to go about that is to live in a major Spanish speaking city.

From a practical standpoint I think it wouldbe best to work in my profession in a large Latin American city to support myself. Ideally I would like the experience of living abroad for around 3 years or so - I believe that may be ample time to learn the language and make a meaningful connection to a city.
Since you've mentioned employment - if you're not a national of these countries - a major factor would be the ease of you getting a work visa in these countries. May want to look into that if you haven't already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas