Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2017, 08:45 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times

Advertisements

In NYC I noticed many Latin Americans seem proud of their heritage and often post photos of themselves wearing their country's football shirts or waving flags. However those growing up in the suburbs, particularly Westchester or Long Island, never do so. Kinda interesting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 09:46 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
Why is it that I can meet Mexicans that are as white as Swedish people in Mexico who are proud Mexicans and support their national soccer team, but there are darker skinned Mexicans, mostly in the US that are ashamed and act as though they can't speak Spanish?

Old 06-22-2017, 08:07 AM

210 posts, read 200,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I knew a good many self hating Latino's growing up in Toronto. The joke is they just looked stupid because most people did not have any significant negative sterotypes assosiated with Latinos and could not figure out what their problem was.
Good stories. I had a Mexican roommate who was fairer skinned than his average countrymen but still had that typical facial structure. For the record, both his parents were physicians back in Mexico, he didn't like spicy food, never ate tacos and considered football a low-class passion. On a few occasions, I heard him say he didn't like "beaner". When questioned about what he meant with that, he replied that "beaner" meant a mexican, central american and chicano peasant of indigenous origin who eat beans.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:18 AM

210 posts, read 200,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It's not stupid. It's their reaction to being extremely oppressed, and certainly marginalized people do end up this way. This is a topic that's a bit too broad for this forum, but you shouldn't make fun of people who were victims of abuse.
Many people holding those beliefs imported them from their old countries. Fair skin people aren't exactly oppressed there, it's more the other way around if anything. I think those stances have more to do with a certain racial hierarchy prevailing in Latin America that isn't clearly stated but ruling relationships.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:19 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,723,845 times
Default ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It's not stupid. It's their reaction to being extremely oppressed, and certainly marginalized people do end up this way. This is a topic that's a bit too broad for this forum, but you shouldn't make fun of people who were victims of abuse.
LMAO ... abused? This 2 characters were not abused by anyone. Both export Latin American hardcore snobs who were happy to go out of their way to try to make of Latin American people including ones from their own country feel bad about themselves. This are no victims. No ones was bullying them or making fun of them. They were walking around with their noses in the air openly and actively throwing other Latian American people under the bus. Sorry I likely did not paint a clear enough picture of who I was talking about.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:24 AM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebaruna View Post
Good stories. I had a Mexican roommate who was fairer skinned than his average countrymen but still had that typical facial structure. For the record, both his parents were physicians back in Mexico, he didn't like spicy food, never ate tacos and considered football a low-class passion. On a few occasions, I heard him say he didn't like "beaner". When questioned about what he meant with that, he replied that "beaner" meant a mexican, central american and chicano peasant of indigenous origin who eat beans.
This is pretty much the similar situation to the guy I was talking about.

The Central American girl's family were nothing to brad about and I am pretty sure came to Canada as part of a refugee program.

There was another Colombia girl that was like that too... but I think her issue was more just being an annoying idiot and that transends all issues related to race, skin, colour, nationality and class.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:31 AM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebaruna View Post
Many people holding those beliefs imported them from their old countries. Fair skin people aren't exactly oppressed there, it's more the other way around if anything. I think those stances have more to do with a certain racial hierarchy prevailing in Latin America that isn't clearly stated but ruling relationships.
Exactly. I wonder if he has had less exposure to these types of people I was referring too. Toronto does not have as large of a Latin American population as in New York and the population is very different too. Toronto does not have a large population of people from PR, DR or Cuba. It more mainly a mix of people from Centra and South America and Mexico. Also 2 extremes we have people that came as refugees during times of serious conflict in their countries and people who came from upper middle class or wealty family wealth and high education who were mortified that people would lump then in with other Latian Americans that they deemed lower class.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:04 AM

426 posts, read 351,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
LMAO ... abused? This 2 characters were not abused by anyone. Both export Latin American hardcore snobs who were happy to go out of their way to try to make of Latin American people including ones from their own country feel bad about themselves. This are no victims. No ones was bullying them or making fun of them. They were walking around with their noses in the air openly and actively throwing other Latian American people under the bus. Sorry I likely did not paint a clear enough picture of who I was talking about.
I knew some Chileans like this. People say that argentinians are arrogant but that hasn't been the case for me at all dealing with them instead a few Chileans were very arrogant and behaved like fraternity types. They looked down on everyone and thought they were the s*** while 2 chicks in particular kept giving me mean looks and seeing me as competition. For some reason a lot of Latin Americans dislike me I don't know why I guess either I'm a gringa or I'm not cool enough to fit in why? because I don't act tough or like regatton. 🤣😂

Old 06-22-2017, 11:15 AM

426 posts, read 351,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
In NYC I noticed many Latin Americans seem proud of their heritage and often post photos of themselves wearing their country's football shirts or waving flags. However those growing up in the suburbs, particularly Westchester or Long Island, never do so. Kinda interesting
That is a good thing sadly those are not the type of Latin Americans that live near me. I have to deal with the loud obnoxious ghetto ones or the arrogant fraternity ones that always think they are better than everyone and pic fights with me once in a blue moon. Sometimes they get super aggressive and machista not respecting women at all. I have been hit randomly before so you know what I did? I twisted the guys nose and kicked him right in the balls as self defense. 😂
I hate confrontation but sadly many people here cross the line and I live in a good neighborhood but sadly these types are everywhere. That's why sometimes I don't let people know that I'm half Latin American unless I feel the need to speak. Half of the time I just mind my business while I understand everything that's going on around me so that way if anyone talks nonsense I am prepared for whatever comes my way. 🤣

Old 06-22-2017, 05:14 PM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourgermanicanish View Post
I knew some Chileans like this. People say that argentinians are arrogant but that hasn't been the case for me at all dealing with them instead a few Chileans were very arrogant and behaved like fraternity types. They looked down on everyone and thought they were the s*** while 2 chicks in particular kept giving me mean looks and seeing me as competition. For some reason a lot of Latin Americans dislike me I don't know why I guess either I'm a gringa or I'm not cool enough to fit in why? because I don't act tough or like regatton. ����
You don't like Reggaeton!!!!!

Are you ears broken lol! Just joking !

If anyone watches Orange is the New Black 2 of the funniest moments on the show to date where when ...

Marisol Gonzalez/ aka Flaca who is really in to Depech Mode type music says "I hate Reggaeton it makes my heart hurt" lol!

And when American born Dayanara "Daya" Diaz keeps having people speak to her in Spainish and she keeps having to explain to people that she does not speak Spanish lol .

Side note .... I am a huge fan of this show!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas