Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2017, 05:32 PM

426 posts, read 351,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
You don't like Reggaeton!!!!!

Are you ears broken lol! Just joking !

If anyone watches Orange is the New Black 2 of the funniest moments on the show to date where when ...

Marisol Gonzalez/ aka Flaca who is really in to Depech Mode type music says "I hate Reggaeton it makes my heart hurt" lol!

And when American born Dayanara "Daya" Diaz keeps having people speak to her in Spainish and she keeps having to explain to people that she does not speak Spanish lol .

Side note .... I am a huge fan of this show!
I haven't seen this show yet but I will definitely check it out. 😃

I guess one of the reasons I hate reggaton is because the beat sounds the same to me in almost every song but more because I have family that plays that all day long. I die a little each time, a slow painful death. 😂🤣

Now on a random note my son embarrassed me today at a resturant. First he got up and started dancing around then out of nowhere he said mi culo mi culo really loud and one guy dropped his fork and steak in shock while someone else said where the hell did he learn that. 😂
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 10:14 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,723,845 times
Default lol.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourgermanicanish View Post
I haven't seen this show yet but I will definitely check it out. 😃

I guess one of the reasons I hate reggaton is because the beat sounds the same to me in almost every song but more because I have family that plays that all day long. I die a little each time, a slow painful death. 😂🤣

Now on a random note my son embarrassed me today at a resturant. First he got up and started dancing around then out of nowhere he said mi culo mi culo really loud and one guy dropped his fork and steak in shock while someone else said where the hell did he learn that. 😂
He already sounds like he has the lyrics to make his own reggeaton track lol.

Tge lyrics and music videos are usually cringe worthy.... but very danceable. I avoid singing along out loud whe listening to reggaeton on my iphone while walking around outside.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:29 AM

990 posts, read 880,350 times
Quote:
I knew a good many self hating Latino's growing up in Toronto. The joke is they just looked stupid because most people did not have any significant negative sterotypes assosiated with Latinos and could not figure out what their problem was.

There was one girl specifically that use to drive me nuts. She was Central American with fair skin, redish hair wavy hair and hazel eyes. Had a huge accent as she was born there... but always felt like she needed to remind people she was not native. Most of the kids here had no idea about Latin American culture and did not get what she was talking about. She even lives in a low income area of the city and still felt that she was superior to other Lations lol. She ended up marrying this white guy from an English white guy ( family actually from Englan) .... you know to keep her white blood pure lol. No one in their right mind would even think she was white due to her facial features. She actually was so desparate to not be consider Latina that she would get a job that paid poorly at a coffee shop 45 minutes. Outside of her area in a higher income whiter area just to try and meet more "White Anglo Canadian" people. Unfortunately despite all her efforts to seem white she still had an accent as thick as mud so even married to English person did not white wash her well enough. She is such a joke it was sad.

Then there was the snobby Mexican lol. He killed me ex LMAO with his polo shirts, kakis and loafers like he was always on route to a golf club that did not exist. He appearantly had a thing for red heads ( which is a pretty stupid thing to tell a brunette you are trying to date). Sadly despite his attempts to pretend like he was a white european Mexican he really really did not look white or even European with a tan so he just looked crazy trying make people disassociate him with the average Mexican person. To think about it I should have introduced the snobby Mexican with the snobby Central American. It could have been a match made in heaven considering they have the same crazy attitude and she had redish hair.

These 2 characters were by far so rediculous they were a joke. Can't respect people this stupid.
What do you think about the Brazilians in North American in this theme? Are they proud or ashamed about our nationality/country?

Old 06-23-2017, 08:46 AM

426 posts, read 351,743 times
Quote:
He already sounds like he has the lyrics to make his own reggeaton track lol.

Tge lyrics and music videos are usually cringe worthy.... but very danceable. I avoid singing along out loud whe listening to reggaeton on my iphone while walking around outside.
I still can't belive that my son did that, he can be a handful at times. Half of the time I have to run after him. 😂
For some reason I don't know how the heck to dance to reggaton. I feel so out of place if I go somewhere with one of my cousins. I was caught by surprise when I went to a club recently in Berlin and they were playing reggaton. I didn't expect that at all, I was hoping for some house music so my heart broke that night lol.

Thinking about it, the songs with Enrique and pit bull are ok I can handle those. What really kills me is the gasoline song lmao. I would hear that thing play on repeat for years when I would visit some relatives. In those moments I felt like I would prefer to be death. 🤣

Old 06-23-2017, 09:11 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
LMAO ... abused? This 2 characters were not abused by anyone. Both export Latin American hardcore snobs who were happy to go out of their way to try to make of Latin American people including ones from their own country feel bad about themselves. This are no victims. No ones was bullying them or making fun of them. They were walking around with their noses in the air openly and actively throwing other Latian American people under the bus. Sorry I likely did not paint a clear enough picture of who I was talking about.
You painted a very clear picture of who you were talking about. There's been a history of racism and oppression against Natives and Black people in Latin America, and this is incorporated into the minds of people.

Someone who grew up their entire life hearing certain things will have a very hard time letting things go.

Some people of African descent, whether Latin American or American bleach their skin, straighten their hair, and otherwise whiten themselves (Sammy Sosa, Lil Kim, and Michael Jackson) and yes I've known such people (not those two) to say terrible things about Black people's natural appearance, which is something these people want to get far from. It has to do with the oppression of people of African descent in the Americans. Similarly, you have people of Native descent who will cut you for calling them Natives, for some of the same reasons.

Clearly you know nothing about Latin America if you don't know the history of oppression of Natives and Blacks, the preference for Europeans, and issues of self hatred some people possess. These issues exist in the US, and other countries in the Americas as well.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:23 AM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
What do you think about the Brazilians in North American in this theme? Are they proud or ashamed about our nationality/country?
To be honest I don't know all that many Brazilians by comparison in Toronto.
The Brazilians in Toronto that I did know were Muscians and very proud of being Brazilian and happy to be in Toronto learning and embracing other cutlures. Please note these Muscians and Samba Dancers not really an up tight crowd. I only had one person from Brazil in school that I knew. Certainly a minority population in Toronto ... plus she is not even in Canada anymore. She became an Engineer and works in somewhere in the Middle East now.

I lot of Brazilians that I did know tended to be around Little Portugal in Toronto. There are a few very significant cultural influences Brazilians/ Brazil has made in the city....

Lula Lounge

This place is not specifically Brazilian... but lots of music events associated with Brazil take place here.

[SIZE=3]Copacabana Brazilian Steakhouse[/SIZE]

Seems really cool. Have not been yet.

Home - Samba Squad

By far the best Brazil influence in Toronto.

Sorry don't have a better answer then that !

Old 06-23-2017, 10:48 AM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You painted a very clear picture of who you were talking about. There's been a history of racism and oppression against Natives and Black people in Latin America, and this is incorporated into the minds of people.

Someone who grew up their entire life hearing certain things will have a very hard time letting things go.

Some people of African descent, whether Latin American or American bleach their skin, straighten their hair, and otherwise whiten themselves (Sammy Sosa, Lil Kim, and Michael Jackson) and yes I've known such people (not those two) to say terrible things about Black people's natural appearance, which is something these people want to get far from. It has to do with the oppression of people of African descent in the Americans. Similarly, you have people of Native descent who will cut you for calling them Natives, for some of the same reasons.

Clearly you know nothing about Latin America if you don't know the history of oppression of Natives and Blacks, the preference for Europeans, and issues of self hatred some people possess. These issues exist in the US, and other countries in the Americas as well.
I want to bring to your attention that you are speaking to someone who is considered "white" with parents from Trinidad and Tobago. I know and 100% get the history.

But time changes and people need to get off the boat so to speak with this attitudes.

Both my parents grew up in upper middle class families in a country where people that looked like them held the bulk of the wealth in the country. The grew up with maids, nannies, gardeners etc that were Black that would refer to them even when they were children as Ms. and Master. I am predominantely the decendent of slave traders, merchants and pirates so are you telling me that gives me the right to look down on other people that are darker then from Trinidad and Tobago Those days are long gone. Social progress is moving forward and people are more and more being judge by who they are vs their what they look like. I personally was raised to be very mindful of stuff like this and would NEVER NEVER go out of my way to put down anyone one from my background regardless of their skin colour. Race relations in Trinidad and Tobago are not perfect.... but being openly racist is not tolerated. So I am not sure why you are feeling so compassionate about this. Stop being so nice !

Old 06-23-2017, 12:15 PM

210 posts, read 200,123 times
Quote:
The Brazilians in Toronto that I did know were Muscians and very proud of being Brazilian and happy to be in Toronto learning and embracing other cutlures. Please note these Muscians and Samba Dancers not really an up tight crowd. I only had one person from Brazil in school that I knew. Certainly a minority population in Toronto ... plus she is not even in Canada anymore. She became an Engineer and works in somewhere in the Middle East now.

I lot of Brazilians that I did know tended to be around Little Portugal in Toronto. There are a few very significant cultural influences Brazilians/ Brazil has made in the city....

Lula Lounge

This place is not specifically Brazilian... but lots of music events associated with Brazil take place here.

Home - Samba Squad

Agreed. I haven't met nearly as many Brazilians as I have met Hispanics but it seems like Brazilians have a different outlook on this topic. Though I am pretty sure racism is no stranger to Brazil, racial relationships there seem to follow a less strictly established hierarchy despite being far more diverse than Mexico and Central America. This has been theorized as Luso-tropicalism, which is unique to Brazil and isn't found in Hispanic America.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:16 PM

990 posts, read 880,350 times
Quote:

Lula Lounge

Home - Samba Squad

Thanks for the answer!!

Old 06-25-2017, 04:55 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
I want to bring to your attention that you are speaking to someone who is considered "white" with parents from Trinidad and Tobago. I know and 100% get the history.

But time changes and people need to get off the boat so to speak with this attitudes.

Both my parents grew up in upper middle class families in a country where people that looked like them held the bulk of the wealth in the country. The grew up with maids, nannies, gardeners etc that were Black that would refer to them even when they were children as Ms. and Master. I am predominantely the decendent of slave traders, merchants and pirates so are you telling me that gives me the right to look down on other people that are darker then from Trinidad and Tobago Those days are long gone. Social progress is moving forward and people are more and more being judge by who they are vs their what they look like. I personally was raised to be very mindful of stuff like this and would NEVER NEVER go out of my way to put down anyone one from my background regardless of their skin colour. Race relations in Trinidad and Tobago are not perfect.... but being openly racist is not tolerated. So I am not sure why you are feeling so compassionate about this. Stop being so nice !
Because those attitudes do not leave slowly, and there's psychological damage to those who internalize them. Those attitudes are not going to disappear this year or next year, and probably not in our life times.

Also, you cannot teach people not to hate by hating on them or making fun of them, which was essentially what you were doing.

And are you sure you yourself don't look down on darker people? There was no reason for you to mention all that if you yourself don't have those conflicting issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas