Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 02:41 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
That is gold! I dont know why anyone would have a beef with Trinidad, it's such a small innocent country, it never did anything wrong. Racists are the ugliest people
I really think a lot of this has to do with ignorance. People can often easily fear people that are different from them for no valid reason. Sometimes it also could be if they have a negative experience with one person from that group and just assume everyone is like that.

I think anyone can find a reason to like and dislike anyone if they try hard enough.

Sadly because I can pass for some many things I am hated and loved for no logical reasons !

I just watched Avenue Q and this song really sums up the reality for this topic for me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXnM1uHhsOI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 01:45 AM

14 posts, read 17,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
First of all, I do get it. Secondly, I am huge sports fan and EVERYBODY is pulling for Tiger to make a comeback despite his latest transgression. Thirdly, I am a white American of 99.9% European descent (according to 23andme) and my wife is a cinnamon skinned Colombian whose first language is Spanish. We have never, not once been rejected or judged because we are a mixed couple, only complimented on our beautiful children. Perhaps a couple of ignorant comments or questions, but nothing serious. The only place we ever had a serious issue in which I threatened to punch a woman's husband's teeth out if he didn't shut her racist arse up was in Chamonix, France. That was a Spanish women in a restaurant who felt above moving her chair so that my wife could pass.

Most people I know who think Orlando is a bad area say that because it's hot and humid, there's no beaches and there's terrible traffic, not because of the minority population. Despite all of that, it is one of the fastest growing places in the country, so how many people really think it's bad.

Are there race issues in the US? Of course and they are out in the open so people talk about it. In Europe and Canada it's much more subtle, but it can be a good bit worse once you peel the skin off the onion. In Latin American countries, there is more mixing between light tan and black, but nobody is going to tell me that high class Spaniards marry more Mestizo people--They don't or at least almost never. My wife's family was somewhat well-to-do down there, but they will be the first to say that they didn't pass the skin test into the aristocracy when they lived in Colombia.

Much of what happens related to race in the US is the product of the media and victimization by minority leaders who indoctrinate their people into a life of victimhood and hyper-sensitivity to race issues.

Most of those who succeed ignore the noise.
Even though the US has it's obvious race obsession and racism problems, at least they're honest about it unlike Latin America, that pretends to be a "racial harmony" because they're one of, if not, the most racially mixed region in the world, even though they have race problems(towards pure-blooded Indigenous people and Black people) that they constantly sweep under the rug and do everything in their power to make it subtle.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
Although the OP is no longer participating in the thread, and at first he asks about low self-esteem among Latinos, wouldn't it be nice to talk about the interesting aspects of being Latino too?

I consider Latin people extremely interesting. I like to see women having a healthier relationship with beauty and sexuality, physical proximity among people, more developed relationships with the extented family, enormous cultural diversity, collective celebrations that enrich our lives so much. Even the geographic position of our countries which are generally in more beautiful and sunny places, and which are allied of our colorful and rich culture. I love our more frequent hugs and kisses, the more easily made friends, the religious diversity, our mixture. I love much of our music, dance, the most flexible personal barriers.

There are many reasons to love being Latino.
I am still somewhat participating in this thread(sorry for the very late reply). I honestly just wish Mexicans or Latin Americans in general are racially and culturally homogeneous like most East Asians and Europeans are. Latin America often comes off to me as a culture of self-hatred(of being American Indian) and being a wannabe pure White European region(with their colonial mindset that they're still stuck in) or "diverse" region.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I don't think the solution to being ashamed of being Latino should be to just go the other way and be proud to be Aztec or whatever Meso-American tribe once ruled your country. Most Latino nations are mixed but there are many that have deep European roots such as Brazil, Chile, Uruguay and Argentina. These countries have large European history and ancestors that inhabit the land and have made their mark on the country just as much as the tribes before them.

This anti-European mentality that has swept the world is stupid and racist. Tearing down one empire and glorifying another is just ridiculous.

There are a lot of Latin Americans that are of European ancestry. Mexico for one is very European and Euro-mixed. The OP must be an American because only in the United States would he even think to have this inferiority complex. Most Mexicans that come to the US are mestizo and they have hang ups about being a minority in the US and also because of the racism they might experience from ignorant gringos. But sometimes I think they have NO IDEA how white and European their own mother country is too.

I traveled to Mexico and saw whole neighborhoods of very European looking white people in Monterrey. The suburbs there looked every bit as all-American apple pie as in the States with a large component of European and Euro-Mixed people. They were EXTREMELY proud to be Mexican too. No hangups. They wore their Mexican football jerseys proudly and sang all the songs. What are these people supposed to do? Be embarrassed that they have less indigenous blood than some of the people whining in here? Are they less Mexican? No. In fact I would say that they're more Mexican than any Mexican American that tries to find their identity in a long lost empire because of their insecurities of living in a white majority country like the United States. I also bet that a lot of Mexican Americans have more European ancestry than the native indigenous ancestry and many of them look over half white in my opinion. A lot look like Jessica Alba or Diego Luna or Gael Garcia Bernal. They look only part Native.

I think it just stems from insecurities, yet getting over them doesn't require you to accept the other half of you and exalting it over the other.
Mexico is not as European as many people in this thread are claiming it to be. In fact, Mexico is statistically one of the top 5 countries with the highest population of pure Indigenous people, according to one University college source.
Demographic Trends

Not only that, the "White" Mexican population in Mexico is supposedly only somewhere between 10-15% and even that's questionable because Castizos(Mexicans who are 3/4 European, 1/4 American Indian) and sometimes even light-skinned Mestizos are lumped into the same group as Pure-blooded White European descended Mexicans(who are unmixed) in some of Mexico's reported racial demographics.

Not that there's anything wrong with being White European. I have absolutely nothing against White Europeans but I do get annoyed when people all over the internet constantly spread false information about Mexico, claiming it as a predominantly "White European" country, when Mexico has always been a predominantly Mestizo country(Mestizos being over 60% of Mexico's population) up to this day. Yes, Mexico has it's obvious European influence from the Spanish colonizers and recent European immigration from Germany, France and a very few other European countries but let's not deny that Mexico also has a huge important Indigenous influence, along with a noticeable Indigenous population(somewhere between 20-30 %).

Last edited by Aztecwarrior480; 01-15-2018 at 02:10 AM.. Reason: More details

Old 01-15-2018, 07:18 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztecwarrior480 View Post
Even though the US has it's obvious race obsession and racism problems, at least they're honest about it unlike Latin America, that pretends to be a "racial harmony" because they're one of, if not, the most racially mixed region in the world, even though they have race problems(towards pure-blooded Indigenous people and Black people) that they constantly sweep under the rug and do everything in their power to make it subtle.
Brazil and Colombia both have affirmative action, so no they don't sweep things under the rug. Most Dominicans are Black and have taino ancestry, so no things are not swept under the rug there either.

People with little or no experience paint Latin America with an extremely broad brush. Mexico does not equal Latin America and has nothing to do with South America.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I knew a good many self hating Latino's growing up in Toronto. The joke is they just looked stupid because most people did not have any significant negative sterotypes assosiated with Latinos and could not figure out what their problem was.

There was one girl specifically that use to drive me nuts. She was Central American with fair skin, redish hair wavy hair and hazel eyes. Had a huge accent as she was born there... but always felt like she needed to remind people she was not native. Most of the kids here had no idea about Latin American culture and did not get what she was talking about. She even lives in a low income area of the city and still felt that she was superior to other Lations lol. She ended up marrying this white guy from an English white guy ( family actually from Englan) .... you know to keep her white blood pure lol. No one in their right mind would even think she was white due to her facial features. She actually was so desparate to not be consider Latina that she would get a job that paid poorly at a coffee shop 45 minutes. Outside of her area in a higher income whiter area just to try and meet more "White Anglo Canadian" people. Unfortunately despite all her efforts to seem white she still had an accent as thick as mud so even married to English person did not white wash her well enough. She is such a joke it was sad.

Then there was the snobby Mexican lol. He killed me ex LMAO with his polo shirts, kakis and loafers like he was always on route to a golf club that did not exist. He appearantly had a thing for red heads ( which is a pretty stupid thing to tell a brunette you are trying to date). Sadly despite his attempts to pretend like he was a white european Mexican he really really did not look white or even European with a tan so he just looked crazy trying make people disassociate him with the average Mexican person. To think about it I should have introduced the snobby Mexican with the snobby Central American. It could have been a match made in heaven considering they have the same crazy attitude and she had redish hair.

These 2 characters were by far so rediculous they were a joke. Can't respect people this stupid.
This definitely holds true for the majority of Latin Americans, lol. I'm one of the few people of Latin American heritage that is never ashamed of his Indigenous roots. It's sadly been a part of the Latin American culture to either hate on Indigenous people or self-hate and reject being half or significantly part American Indian while putting pure White Europeans on a pedestal.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:18 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
This definitely holds true for the majority of Latin Americans, lol. I'm one of the few people of Latin American heritage that is never ashamed of his Indigenous roots. It's sadly been a part of the Latin American culture to either hate on Indigenous people or self-hate and reject being half or significantly part American Indian while putting pure White Europeans on a pedestal.
Proof this is the majority of Latin Americans?

Again Mexico is not Latin America and you are projecting your issues with Mexico and perhaps your family on all of Latin America!

Old 01-15-2018, 12:34 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Quote:
lol. I'm one of the few people of Latin American heritage that is never ashamed of his Indigenous roots..
Yeah you are one of the few. Troll...

Old 01-15-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Yeah you are one of the few. Troll...
Oh yes, I'm a troll for speaking the harsh truth about Latin America's culture and race problems, lol.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:39 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Quote:
Oh yes, I'm a troll for speaking the harsh truth about Latin America's culture and race problems, lol.

No you're a troll for saying you are one of the onlyfew latin americans not ashamed of his native roots.

How do you even know you're Aztec???

Last edited by UrbanLuis; 01-15-2018 at 04:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas