Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 12:50 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by papuolo View Post
I would say that in most of America.

In fact, in Mexico there are hundreds of attested descendants of conquistadors with their own nobliary title of hidalguia....that's four centuries. They do still appear in the Real Chancilleria of Castile, but not recognized in Mexico, a Republic.

In the US, you have crackers that ignore what they really are and lost all their European culture, if they ever had one, that were lynching black Americans a few decades ago.

Latin America is older and has survived with ups and downs, but will the US survive to have 500 years?

What baffles me the most is that those colonials as English call them call themseleves ·European", which is absurd and paranoid.
You're deflecting and not answering the question about ethnic exclusion in Mexico and much of Latin America that is very real.

I can compare the lowest denominator of Mexican society to the "crackers" you reference and the crackers would look like nobility.

Americans of purely English descent almost always call themselves Americans or perhaps Protestants, but rarely something as broad as European. OTH, if they're as mixed as I am, when asked about background it is easier to say European than Russian, English, Polish, Finnish and Irish.

Being a Hidalgo means nothing to me and they're nothing special. They're people, just like the Aztecs and Chiapenos. Their poop still stinks when they go to the bathroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 01:30 PM

10,086 posts, read 14,959,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
First of all, I do get it.
You think you do, but you don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL
Secondly, I am huge sports fan and EVERYBODY is pulling for Tiger to make a comeback despite his latest transgression.
I'm a huge fan of Tiger too and as a mixed race person myself, I have followed closely the reactions that arose when he refused to identify as black and instead preferred a mixed category. I felt so bad for him, I even went to his website and posted a note of encouragement for him. No one should be stripped of their dignity and right to identify by what he truly is, that is simply wrong.

Pretending the attacks and criticisms Tiger received when he did that didn't happen will not make it untrue.

Quote:
Thirdly, I am a white American of 99.9% European descent (according to 23andme) and my wife is a cinnamon skinned Colombian whose first language is Spanish. We have never, not once been rejected or judged because we are a mixed couple, only complimented on our beautiful children. Perhaps a couple of ignorant comments or questions, but nothing serious. The only place we ever had a serious issue in which I threatened to punch a woman's husband's teeth out if he didn't shut her racist arse up was in Chamonix, France. That was a Spanish women in a restaurant who felt above moving her chair so that my wife could pass.
Good for you, yet my experience is not like yours at all. Every time I come back to the US after any trip abroad, I don't even have to wait to reach the US to begin feeling the racial BS that dominates this country. As soon as I'm at the checking line surrounded by Americans, usually my fellow passengers for the flight, I notice the increase in stares, people whispering and many times I even overhear them saying things such as 'he's mixed.' The last time I came back from a trip abroad, as I was walking out of JFK International a woman said loudly to whomever was with her 'you can never change your DNA' in a vey condescending voice, all while staring at me.

Do you know how many times I have felt embarrassment when I went out with my own mother and people would stare at us, many thinking she was my wife (a white one) and solely because of that they roll their eyes at us or even make derogatory comments?

I still remember the times I was a teenager and the whole family would go out to celebrate a birthday. It was always a family dinner in a nice restaurant. Every time we as a family walk into the restaurants, the stares and the comments would start. It came from whites and blacks, it simply didn't matter. One time my father got so angry at this, that he bursted and made a big scene yelling at people what is there to stare at so much.

Of course you don't know what its like and because of that, you simply don't get it.

What a difference it makes when I travel abroad, especially to several Latin American countries. Night and day.

Quote:
Most people I know who think Orlando is a bad area say that because it's hot and humid, there's no beaches and there's terrible traffic, not because of the minority population. Despite all of that, it is one of the fastest growing places in the country, so how many people really think it's bad.
You said it, the people you know. How about peeking at the Orlando forum and notice how often people would suggest that certain areas should be avoided, even whole towns. You dig deeper and most of the times there is nothing seriously wrong with these places, except happens to be majority Hispanic or black.

My own family that lives there have quite a few stories of this attitude among many people down there.

Quote:
Are there race issues in the US? Of course and they are out in the open so people talk about it.
You simply have no idea of what these issues are like.

[quote=Return2FL]In Europe and Canada it's much more subtle, but it can be a good bit worse once you peel the skin off the onion.

Quote:
In Latin American countries, there is more mixing between light tan and black, but nobody is going to tell me that high class Spaniards marry more Mestizo people--They don't or at least almost never. My wife's family was somewhat well-to-do down there, but they will be the first to say that they didn't pass the skin test into the aristocracy when they lived in Colombia.
Is there a Latin American country where the high class makes up more than 1%-5%?

Hmm, maybe that's why I often feel less under public scrutiny when I'm down there vs in the USA. Like I said before, the difference is night and day.

Quote:
Much of what happens related to race in the US is the product of the media and victimization by minority leaders who indoctrinate their people into a life of victimhood and hyper-sensitivity to race issues.

Most of those who succeed ignore the noise.
That's what you say and are entitled to your opinion. Unfortunately, that is simply not true. If it was, then the experience me and my family have shouldn't be so vastly different when we are abroad vs in the US. Its not even a subtle different, but very noticeable the moment we step on American soil after spending anywhere from a week to a month abroad.

Old 06-04-2017, 01:37 PM

10,086 posts, read 14,959,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juancarbonell View Post
And I am telling you that not the case my friend. I live in Cuba, I live there, I talked to people. I met their families and their grandparents. You can't tell me these people are native-americans when I met their Chinese and Japanese and Korean grandparents.

I don't care about DNA test, I knew these people personally. I knew their families. This is not some kind of mistake Cubans make. People outside of Cuba just find it impossible to believe a Spanish speaking country could have so much Asian influence.
I see what your issue is, but fine.

I'm going to pretend that everyone that you know in Cuba makes up at least 1% of the Cuban people. I say pretend because currently 1% of Cuba's population equals about 110,000 people and most people don't know even 100 people on a personal level, and forget about it beyond that number.

If I went by anecdotal evidence, I would have to conclude that in Puerto Rico people with Lebanese ancestry are very numerous. The problem is that, despite the high percentage of people that I know with at least Lebanese ancestry, in genetic tests the Middle Eastern simply doesn't appear with much force at all.

The reason is very simple: they are not very relevant given the size of the total population. It doesn't matter that in my personal life it seems they are very relevant, I simply don't know enough people from anywhere for that to be relevant at a national level.

Most people I know have university degrees, yet in the greater scheme of things degrees holding people are a minority. This is true in every country in the world.

Its simple statistics, nothing more.

Old 06-04-2017, 02:39 PM

40 posts, read 41,803 times
My friend Antonio the problem has always been the politics. People are people, but how you raise them matters.

We live in a country where people are raised to believe in BS that doesn't matter. There too much politics surrounding the idea of minorities. Did you ever hear the whole minority talk nonsense in Latin America, I bet not.

We get hit with a freaking demographics census every three seconds of our life. The media doesn't stop talking about race and minorities. Race is drilled into people minds whether they like it or not, so Hillary Clinton and others can manipulated people using race every four years.

Old 06-04-2017, 03:05 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
My friend Antonio the problem has always been the politics. People are people, but how you raise them matters.

We live in a country where people are raised to believe in BS that doesn't matter. There too much politics surrounding the idea of minorities. Did you ever hear the whole minority talk nonsense in Latin America, I bet not.

We get hit with a freaking demographics census every three seconds of our life. The media doesn't stop talking about race and minorities. Race is drilled into people minds whether they like it or not, so Hillary Clinton and others can manipulated people using race every four years.
Brazil has affirmative action. So does Collombia. Minority issues are very much a huge part of politics in Latin America. For example because of historical oppression and because it was very much a part of their culture, indigenous people can much more easily get licenses to grow coca in Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, Chile, and Argentina than anyone else.

Brazil mandates that certain percentages of people in their universities be Black and Native. Colombia does the same.

The problem with SOME Latin American immigrants is their home country becomes all of Latin America, and they give a very distorted view of the region of the whole. It seems like you know your home country Cuba pretty well, but what you just said is very inaccurate of much of South America.

Of course Cuba has an oppressive government where people can't say certain things.

Old 06-04-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
You think you do, but you don't.

I'm a huge fan of Tiger too and as a mixed race person myself, I have followed closely the reactions that arose when he refused to identify as black and instead preferred a mixed category. I felt so bad for him, I even went to his website and posted a note of encouragement for him. No one should be stripped of their dignity and right to identify by what he truly is, that is simply wrong.

Pretending the attacks and criticisms Tiger received when he did that didn't happen will not make it untrue.

Good for you, yet my experience is not like yours at all. Every time I come back to the US after any trip abroad, I don't even have to wait to reach the US to begin feeling the racial BS that dominates this country. As soon as I'm at the checking line surrounded by Americans, usually my fellow passengers for the flight, I notice the increase in stares, people whispering and many times I even overhear them saying things such as 'he's mixed.' The last time I came back from a trip abroad, as I was walking out of JFK International a woman said loudly to whomever was with her 'you can never change your DNA' in a vey condescending voice, all while staring at me.

Do you know how many times I have felt embarrassment when I went out with my own mother and people would stare at us, many thinking she was my wife (a white one) and solely because of that they roll their eyes at us or even make derogatory comments?

I still remember the times I was a teenager and the whole family would go out to celebrate a birthday. It was always a family dinner in a nice restaurant. Every time we as a family walk into the restaurants, the stares and the comments would start. It came from whites and blacks, it simply didn't matter. One time my father got so angry at this, that he bursted and made a big scene yelling at people what is there to stare at so much.

Of course you don't know what its like and because of that, you simply don't get it.

What a difference it makes when I travel abroad, especially to several Latin American countries. Night and day.

You said it, the people you know. How about peeking at the Orlando forum and notice how often people would suggest that certain areas should be avoided, even whole towns. You dig deeper and most of the times there is nothing seriously wrong with these places, except happens to be majority Hispanic or black.

My own family that lives there have quite a few stories of this attitude among many people down there.

You simply have no idea of what these issues are like.

Is there a Latin American country where the high class makes up more than 1%-5%?

Hmm, maybe that's why I often feel less under public scrutiny when I'm down there vs in the USA. Like I said before, the difference is night and day.

That's what you say and are entitled to your opinion. Unfortunately, that is simply not true. If it was, then the experience me and my family have shouldn't be so vastly different when we are abroad vs in the US. Its not even a subtle different, but very noticeable the moment we step on American soil after spending anywhere from a week to a month abroad.
I don't have time to respond to everything, but I truly have a hard time with the talk of stares and comments, at least at the level you describe. It almost never happens to us and when it does, it's more about curiosity than anything malicious. Personally, I don't live my life concerned about what other people are thinking, it has no bearing on me at all. Candidly in Latin America people are quicker to notice that we are mixed, but we always figured that's because it's impossible not to notice that I'm an American and she is Hispanic. Again, it's never malicious so who really cares?

Regarding the neighborhoods, I'm not going to mince words. Minority neighborhoods tend to have more crime than predominantly white neighborhoods. They just do. Not all of them, but most of them. People develop their opinions based on their experiences in life and experience has taught them that fact. You can't blame them for that.

Old 06-04-2017, 03:23 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
I agree with you completely.

I love the USA. I think this country is one of the greatest to have ever existed and I'm glad I'm able to be a part of it.

BUT, the racial obsession needs to stop. Its the one thing that ruins what otherwise would had been a near perfect country, keeping in mind that we humans are not perfect so its impossible for us to create a perfect anything.
Brazil

"To tackle inequality in higher education, the federal government passed the Law of Social Quotas in 2012. The law earmarks half of all admissions spots across the country’s federally funded institutions to public high school graduates, regardless of their race. (Public universities, unlike high schools, are more prestigious in Brazil than private ones.) Of those reserved spots, half go to students whose families earn less than 1.5 minimum wage, or about $443 a month. A percentage of the spaces in both categories then gets set aside for black, brown and indigenous students, in proportion to the ratio of white to non-white residents in each given state."

Inequality, Income and Race: Affirmative Action in Developing Nations | Globalization101

"In the 1990s, important steps were taken to aid the Afro-Caribbean community’s involvement in national affairs. The nation’s 1991 constitution provided two additional congressional seats for Afro-Colombian and, in 1993, the Afro-Colombian communities on the Pacific coast were granted titles to the land occupied by their ancestors when slavery was abolished in 1851 (The Economist, 2012).

The myth that there is no racism in Colombia was abolished when a governmental committee realized Afro-Colombians were more likely to be poor, less educated, have shorter lives and higher infant mortality rates (Glickhouse, 2009). The committee proposed, “quotas for blacks in universities, government agencies and the armed forces, and incentives for companies to recruit Afro-Colombians as middle managers and for political parties to field black candidates. The role of Afro-Colombians, today little more than a footnote in history books, would be highlighted in school texts” (The Economist, 2012)."

You have affirmative action in Ecuador as well.

Revisiting Affirmative Action, globally | Michaeline crichlow - Academia.edu

Old 06-04-2017, 05:37 PM

40 posts, read 41,803 times
Every country has some type of affirmative action to avoid discrimination against people, usually black people.

But, if you live there you are not even going to notice it. The media, press, political parties don't talk about it. Fidel Castro never constantly spoke about race and yet he passed laws to ensure black people could do better and to end discrimination, but he never spoke about it.

Old 06-04-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Every country has some type of affirmative action to avoid discrimination against people, usually black people.

But, if you live there you are not even going to notice it. The media, press, political parties don't talk about it. Fidel Castro never constantly spoke about race and yet he passed laws to ensure black people could do better and to end discrimination, but he never spoke about it.
So if you don't speak about something there is no problem?? In 2009 70% of black Cubans were unemployed. With a record like that of course he didn't speak about race.

This the problem with leftist thinking. If acknowledging skin color is made culturally taboo they think nobody will notice skin color.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.406650a3cf4a

Old 06-04-2017, 06:31 PM

220 posts, read 172,898 times
Quote:

The US is a country where race dictates most things and it shouldn't be like this. People are prone to 'racial allegiances' that simply doesn't exist in much of Latin America or even in much of the rest of world.

Despite the increasing diversity, in most places in the US you still see white people hanging with whites, blacks with blacks, etc. Its ridiculous.

Americans still talk about 'white America' and 'black America.' There's 'white music' and 'black music.' Many black Americans are complaining that Harlem is becoming more diverse while white Americans say in Central Florida consider an area to be 'bad' simply because its a mostly Hispanic or black neighborhood (or town). Its ridiculous.

Its all those things and more that makes the US one of the most socially-racially charged places, where Affirmative Action laws are necessary to make sure Americans of different colors at least work together when it should be something natural.
I agree 100%

IMO People in the US are very tribal when it comes to race. I have worked in the judicial sector for many years, and guess what? Jurors and Judges (since for the most part are mostly white), will in a general basis convict a minority more severely than a white for the same offence. I have seen it day in and day out. Police for the most part will give an Anglo more leeway, while a minority will probably get shot right away given the same circumstances.

It doesn't take much to realize what's going on. Just observe next time at your local Home Depot, Supermarket or general store, and you will notice right away who generally gets better treatment and service, an Anglo or some run of the mill mixed person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas