Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2017, 11:29 AM

988 posts, read 1,828,801 times

Advertisements

I'm going to Medellin in late August and would love advice on the following questions:

1) Currency exchange - the airport website says they have one in the airport, but does anyone know hours? Is the exchange rate reasonable or are there better options? I will be arriving at 11:30PM.

2) Transport - my current plan is Uber to my hotel. Any thoughts on Uber in Medellin? Their website estimated 60,000 COP/$20 USD, which seems reasonable to me if as generally reliable as in the States. Arriving at night in an unfamiliar city, I'm willing to pay a bit more for convenience.

(BTW, when I ask on thoughts on Uber in Medellin, I am inquiring on general reliability of it in Medellin, and how to locate my driver. I'm not looking for approval or disapproval of Uber in general - I'm already aware of people's general philosophical stands in favor or against Uber).

3) Cell phone - I am considering a prepaid ("burner") phone while in Colombia that I would buy in the States (as opposed to my usual phone), and later be able to use again in the States as desired. This phone doesn't need to fancy - just texting, perhaps a call or two, and ability to have apps such as Uber. Any recommendations on a prepaid, unlocked phone I'd get in the States and be able to use in Colombia?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 07:04 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,727,746 times
1 - You're arriving late, a currency exchange will probably not even be open at that time. Best just to take your card and a backup card to withdraw cash and take some US dollars in cash just in case. You should advise your bank of your travel dates, however, even then I once had the experience where I'd informed my bank and they didn't follow through on their side and I couldn't withdraw money until 48 hours after I complained directly by phoning from Colombia. Always good to have a plan B just in case. If you have a Wells Fargo account you can order Colombian pesos in advance. Other banks may offer this service also.

2 - Uber is illegal in Colombia. There have been occasions where taxi drivers have ganged up on Uber drivers therefore collection at the airport may be risky as there is a large concentration of taxi drivers. Personally I would just get a taxi from the airport and then use uber within the city if you wish. As I said, Uber is illegal in Colombia so you will be asked to sit up front and pretend to be a friend or a relative. Loads of people still use Uber though despite its illegal status.

3 - Sprint and T-Mobile have free data roaming in Colombia
Sprint Expands Free Data Roaming to Colombia, Denmark, Honduras, Ireland, Italy, Paraguay and Sweden | Sprint Newsroom

https://www.t-mobile.com/optional-se...U7Y3ZEX0YQ8553

I always take my iphone 5 or Samsung Galaxy 5 but you could go for something even cheaper like a Huwaei. Second hand or refurbished phones from Ebay or Amazon are fine and cheap - just make sure you check the seller reviews, anything above 95% positive feedback I would consider good.

Colombia has various cell phone carriers such as Claro, Tigo, Movistar and Virgin; I think Claro is the easiest and biggest but you can shop around for the best prepaid data plan. Most supermarkets will sell you a sim; Colombian supermarket names: Exito, Olimpica, Carulla...

Enjoy Medellin and don't worry too much about being in an unfamiliar city, Medellin is very manageable, the main obstacle will be the language barrier, a few phrases of Spanish will go a long way.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:35 PM

988 posts, read 1,828,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
1 - You're arriving late, a currency exchange will probably not even be open at that time. Best just to take your card and a backup card to withdraw cash and take some US dollars in cash just in case. You should advise your bank of your travel dates, however, even then I once had the experience where I'd informed my bank and they didn't follow through on their side and I couldn't withdraw money until 48 hours after I complained directly by phoning from Colombia. Always good to have a plan B just in case. If you have a Wells Fargo account you can order Colombian pesos in advance. Other banks may offer this service also.

2 - Uber is illegal in Colombia. There have been occasions where taxi drivers have ganged up on Uber drivers therefore collection at the airport may be risky as there is a large concentration of taxi drivers. Personally I would just get a taxi from the airport and then use uber within the city if you wish. As I said, Uber is illegal in Colombia so you will be asked to sit up front and pretend to be a friend or a relative. Loads of people still use Uber though despite its illegal status.

3 - Sprint and T-Mobile have free data roaming in Colombia
Sprint Expands Free Data Roaming to Colombia, Denmark, Honduras, Ireland, Italy, Paraguay and Sweden | Sprint Newsroom

https://www.t-mobile.com/optional-se...U7Y3ZEX0YQ8553

I always take my iphone 5 or Samsung Galaxy 5 but you could go for something even cheaper like a Huwaei. Second hand or refurbished phones from Ebay or Amazon are fine and cheap - just make sure you check the seller reviews, anything above 95% positive feedback I would consider good.

Colombia has various cell phone carriers such as Claro, Tigo, Movistar and Virgin; I think Claro is the easiest and biggest but you can shop around for the best prepaid data plan. Most supermarkets will sell you a sim; Colombian supermarket names: Exito, Olimpica, Carulla...

Enjoy Medellin and don't worry too much about being in an unfamiliar city, Medellin is very manageable, the main obstacle will be the language barrier, a few phrases of Spanish will go a long way.
Thank you for the advice! I'll definitely inform credit cards and bank of my travels. I did that in 2008 when I last traveled internationally, which obviously made it much easier to travel. Only thing I didn't anticipate at the time was an overnight delay between transferring funds online from saving to checking, and actually using my debit card for an ATM withdrawal. However, after a one time, one day delay I learned to just request the transfer a day before I needed it (I was traveling for an extended period so crucial to have ability to withdraw from ATM's).

I'll also check with my bank in the States if I can order currency in advance - at least for initial arrival. That would likely be most convenient.

I'll keep your thoughts in mind for the initial ride to the hotel from the airport. I'll also check with the hotel if they have suggestions. I appreciate knowing at least the law, and then will have to consider the options within the city. On side note - is there a website that talks about public transport in the city?

I'll likely still look for inexpensive phone to use as an alternate, and appreciate advice. I can obviously Google search and shop at stores such as WalMart and Best Buy, just wondering of any known great options for Colombia in particular. Frankly, while I guess I'd rather lose a cheaper phone in Colombia if it was going to happen, I'd prefer a phone with minimal data stored on the phone. My life is fairly boring, but the less available in general the better. Hackers abound...

And - agreed...I have some very basic Spanish to draw upon and some time to re-learn. My last travels were Ecuador, Panama, Costa Rica, and Nicaragua - and was traveling backpack/hostel/buses so a chunk was outside gringo tourist zones and some Spanish was a requirement. I managed just fine... and nowadays there's also Google Translate (not really an option in 2008)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas