Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 10:49 AM

2 posts, read 11,912 times

Advertisements

American, British media and Al jazeera has always tried to make Brazil look like a African country. When Whenever I watch the news they only show the Black Brazilians. Especially when I watch CNN they never mentioned that their was White Brazilians, Brown Brazilians, Indigenous Brazilians, Arab Brazilians, Japanese Brazilians, Korean Brazilians, etc...

Old 01-21-2018, 11:39 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,099,989 times
I don't know that this is true...I know a lot of Brazil's tourism is centered around Carnival and afro Brazilians are a large part of that...then there are stories on Brazil's poverty and the favelas and there are afro Brazilians there as well...odd that you would think someone is trying to make Brazil look like an African country...strange conclusion

Old 01-21-2018, 02:55 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
Yeah I wonder the same thing. It's nice that they're showing the Afro heritage in Brazil, but why not focus on Brazil's Native American, Asian, and European influences too? Most people seem shocked when they find out that Brazil has some of the largest Japanese communities in the world. Or that Brazil has large Russian and Jewish communities too. And a lot of Brazil's cuisine is derived from Native American cooking traditions, which are often ignored

Old 01-21-2018, 04:28 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,242,785 times
There is no "obsession". Thats a false narrative you are pushing. If anything there is a exposure to the masses of the fact that Afro-Brazilians as they call themselves are a vibrant part of the Brazilian populous. The fact of the matter is that everyone knows that Brazil has Indigenous, Japanese, German, and Portuguese admixture depending on region. But the population is heavily mixed with Afro-Brazilians; which you would not know of when looking at the Brazilian media, both televised and print. You see more "Euro" looking Brazileiros/as as the face of its media and standards. Like @whogoesthere stated, because Carnaval is the biggest party, and a lot of the Samba schools, which are located in more impoverished areas are represented by Pasistsas whom are more Afro-Brazilian in experience you see the presence of the black Brazilians. And walk thru any favela from Rocinha to Cidade de Deus, any area in Zona Norte like Andrade, Meier, Vila Isabel, Tijuca, Mangueira, etc...you see Afro-Brazilians. But there is no obsession in reporting on the plight of those marginalized by the governments tho they are a large demographic of the population. Salvador has the highest concentration of black people outside of Nigeria....the Brazilian government does not highlight that fact and the fact that African traditions passed down by the extremely large numbers of slaves that the Portuguese brought to Brazil is widely present. Educating people that all Brazilians do not look like Giselle is not obsession, but I would like to ask how you think it is so???

Old 01-21-2018, 07:44 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
But, during Pope Francis's visit to Rio de Janeiro, a year ago, - broadcast in detail worldwide on EWTN-TV - every one of the participants on the platform, helping to lead the outdoor Mass seemed to be White Brazilians.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:55 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
There is no obsession with Brazilians of African descent. The African descended population there happens to be very significant and they have made an undeniable impact on the culture. However, Brazilians of European descent are displayed just as much, if not more. Other groups receive less focus but you hear of them.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:39 AM

990 posts, read 878,902 times
Because Brazil is most known for the touristic beaches, the tropical coast area where the black population are concentrated between Rio de Janeiro and Northeast. Also because in sports most soccer players are of black heritage.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:17 PM

2 posts, read 11,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
There is no "obsession". Thats a false narrative you are pushing. If anything there is a exposure to the masses of the fact that Afro-Brazilians as they call themselves are a vibrant part of the Brazilian populous. The fact of the matter is that everyone knows that Brazil has Indigenous, Japanese, German, and Portuguese admixture depending on region. But the population is heavily mixed with Afro-Brazilians; which you would not know of when looking at the Brazilian media, both televised and print. You see more "Euro" looking Brazileiros/as as the face of its media and standards. Like @whogoesthere stated, because Carnaval is the biggest party, and a lot of the Samba schools, which are located in more impoverished areas are represented by Pasistsas whom are more Afro-Brazilian in experience you see the presence of the black Brazilians. And walk thru any favela from Rocinha to Cidade de Deus, any area in Zona Norte like Andrade, Meier, Vila Isabel, Tijuca, Mangueira, etc...you see Afro-Brazilians. But there is no obsession in reporting on the plight of those marginalized by the governments tho they are a large demographic of the population. Salvador has the highest concentration of black people outside of Nigeria....the Brazilian government does not highlight that fact and the fact that African traditions passed down by the extremely large numbers of slaves that the Portuguese brought to Brazil is widely present. Educating people that all Brazilians do not look like Giselle is not obsession, but I would like to ask how you think it is so???

Lol you're so ignorant. Educating people that " All Brazilians are black" is correctly? We are indeed a country of mixed heritage. This is sad indeed. Really there is no excuse for whites to be over looked, they deserve to be represented. I'm Brazilian but sometimes it seems that 'Black Brazilian is the only category that exists.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:46 PM

3,852 posts, read 2,223,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripmyheart View Post
This is sad indeed. Really there is no excuse for whites to be over looked, they deserve to be represented. I'm Brazilian but sometimes it seems that 'Black Brazilian is the only category that exists.
I think it's the other way around. The international media doesn't ignore Afro-Brazilians like the Brazilian media does. To Brazilians, it's offensive to see black people on TV representing Brazil because that's not what they are used to.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:07 PM

3,852 posts, read 2,223,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Yeah I wonder the same thing. It's nice that they're showing the Afro heritage in Brazil, but why not focus on Brazil's Native American, Asian, and European influences too? Most people seem shocked when they find out that Brazil has some of the largest Japanese communities in the world. Or that Brazil has large Russian and Jewish communities too. And a lot of Brazil's cuisine is derived from Native American cooking traditions, which are often ignored
When I was a kid, I didn't even know there were any black people in Brazil or anywhere in South America. I was in college when I was first learning of black people in South America. It was a novelty because most people had never heard of that.

So, no that's not what the media portrays here.

I think Brazilians are just shocked and bothered to see black people on TV because they rarely are in Brazil. The international media doesn't have the same prejudices that you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas