Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 03:14 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
Latinos might not be your people but you are theirs. You can just behave like an adolescent and its really funny, because your parents are uncool, you go around saying those are not your parents. But the neighborhood knows and you have you fathers nose. jajajaja

i have lived for a long time in caped cod, a historical Portuguese/Brazilian/cape verdian enclave, back in the days there were no others Latinos for them to interact but in the last 20 years with the arrival of more Hispanics the whole Portuguese community has revitalized. you just have to go any of the Latin nights on any club to see the latin connection at work. weather you like it or not. Brazilians/Portuguese are just as Latino as all the others. Most cape verdians are second and 3rd generation but they are attracted to the vitality and commonality of the Hispanic culture. Marriages are common.

Portugal has never been in the center of anything important in the US as its an small, almost irrelevant country, overshadowed by the big ones. That has helped to keep Portuguese people out of trouble, undetected, passive. but that dosent mean they do not belong to the large, colorful latin community that you insist they dont belong, they do and you know it.
I have no problem with Latinos let's just say we're distant cousins but not brother's we're not the same people regardless of how you think about it.

Yes they are marriages with Mexicans on the west coast but much more with Anglos. I know they aren't the same people although they understand each other well.

The Portuguese particularly on West Coast aren't part of a pan Latino community and are politically active. If the community is getting absorbed it's within the Anglo community not Latino on the West Coast. I'll ignore your attempt at insults because your trying to equalize because you think I feel superior. You're missing the point I'm not saying one is better than the other but different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 03:41 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,227,486 times
Quote:
hispano, did existed as a ethic category
Cuban Americans remember when they were not "hispanics". When the term was introduced (in the 80s), people thought it was ridiculous, and the term was widely rejected:

Old 03-02-2018, 04:33 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Nope Portuguese are not Latino as the term is generally understood in the USA remember this is a US Centric Forum. Latino as understood in the USA refers to people with origins in Latin America so Spaniards and Portuguese aren't part of it.

Regarding Brazilians being seen as part of the Hispanic community what exactly are you talking about. In the USA Brazilians typically have moved into historical Portuguese enclaves not "Hispanic" enclaves. Hispanic is a term that is relevant for the Spanish speaking realm, the former colonies to be specific. There is a different term for the Portuguese speaking realm called Lusitanic however no-one to my knowledge identifies as a Lusitanic. Please try and educate yourself on this before speaking I don't need to google.
Latino in the US contest can literally mean anyone with a latin origin and that includes anyone from the Latin part of Europe. It's only an issue among some Americans with grandparents from Southern Europe who are desperate not to be grouped with darker skinned people in Latin America.

Millions of Latin Americans have Spanish, Portuguese, and Italian citizenship as many have at least one European grandparent, btw. Lots of Latin Americans study and live in Southern Europe. There are definitely modern ties between the Latin parts of Europe and Latin America.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:09 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Latino in the US contest can literally mean anyone with a latin origin and that includes anyone from the Latin part of Europe. It's only an issue among some Americans with grandparents from Southern Europe who are desperate not to be grouped with darker skinned people in Latin America.

Millions of Latin Americans have Spanish, Portuguese, and Italian citizenship as many have at least one European grandparent, btw. Lots of Latin Americans study and live in Southern Europe. There are definitely modern ties between the Latin parts of Europe and Latin America.
Nope that's how it's defined in Latin America I know some Brazilians who define Latino that way. Some people don't like being grouped with dark Latin Americans(some light pigmented Latin Americans don't either) but I suspect most don't care about that it's about cultural preservation not racial purity crap.

Old 03-04-2018, 11:16 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Seems like there is a good amount of Native American history in Colombia, it's just not promoted well. I hope to go there myself
This. Colombians don't even know about it. There are still indigenous groups on the fringe of populated areas. The area around Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta still has a lot of indigenous people, despite being where Spaniards first made landfall on South America.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:31 PM

630 posts, read 526,240 times
Quote:
Latino in the US contest can literally mean anyone with a latin origin and that includes anyone from the Latin part of Europe.
What is a "Latin"origin? Cesar's descendants? It's not because Latin America has historical ties to Southern Europe that it makes them identical, or very similar. FYI Most of Europe was "Latin" at some point. The English language is as Latin as it is Germanic.

Quote:
It's only an issue among some Americans with grandparents from Southern Europe who are desperate not to be grouped with darker skinned people in Latin America.
Maybe it's millions of Latinos/Hispanics in the US who are desperately proud of their 40 something European ancestry and make sure knows they're White and no Indigenous? Just look at all the threads on CD with Latinos claiming they're European living in the Americas.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:38 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
What's ironic is that most of Latin America DOESN'T have spicy food. The only places you will really find spice in LatAm is Mexico, and Peru to a lesser degree. Seems like people extrapolate Mexican culture to the rest of Latin America

Old 03-04-2018, 12:56 PM

630 posts, read 526,240 times
Quote:
Latinos might not be your people but you are theirs. You can just behave like an adolescent and its really funny, because your parents are uncool, you go around saying those are not your parents. But the neighborhood knows and you have you fathers nose. jajajaja

i have lived for a long time in caped cod, a historical Portuguese/Brazilian/cape verdian enclave, back in the days there were no others Latinos for them to interact but in the last 20 years with the arrival of more Hispanics the whole Portuguese community has revitalized. you just have to go any of the Latin nights on any club to see the latin connection at work. weather you like it or not. Brazilians/Portuguese are just as Latino as all the others. Most cape verdians are second and 3rd generation but they are attracted to the vitality and commonality of the Hispanic culture. Marriages are common.

Portugal has never been in the center of anything important in the US as its an small, almost irrelevant country, overshadowed by the big ones. That has helped to keep Portuguese people out of trouble, undetected, passive. but that dosent mean they do not belong to the large, colorful latin community that you insist they dont belong, they do and you know it.
Portugal is a European country, with a European culture. This may sound like stating the obvious but when people don't know what they're talking about, they shouldn't assume. I always say it's better to be ignorant than to believe false things. No salsa, no tacos/burritos, mariachis, no virgin of guadalupe, no Indians there. Latin American culture looks exotic to Portuguese's eyes, because whether Latinos like to admit it or not, their culture has lots of indigenous and African influences. A Portuguese individual is a lot closer culturally and ethnically to a French, an Italian, a Swiss or a Belgian than they will ever be a Mexican or a Guatemalan, because they are closer geographically. Some Hispanics like yourself love to claim Portuguese and Spaniards as "their" people. But it is only one sided love. I've never heard a Portuguese person claiming being "Hispanic"or "Latino", in fact they take being called "Hispanic" as an insult.

Old 03-04-2018, 03:25 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
Portugal is a European country, with a European culture. This may sound like stating the obvious but when people don't know what they're talking about, they shouldn't assume. I always say it's better to be ignorant than to believe false things. No salsa, no tacos/burritos, mariachis, no virgin of guadalupe, no Indians there. Latin American culture looks exotic to Portuguese's eyes, because whether Latinos like to admit it or not, their culture has lots of indigenous and African influences. A Portuguese individual is a lot closer culturally and ethnically to a French, an Italian, a Swiss or a Belgian than they will ever be a Mexican or a Guatemalan, because they are closer geographically. Some Hispanics like yourself love to claim Portuguese and Spaniards as "their" people. But it is only one sided love. I've never heard a Portuguese person claiming being "Hispanic"or "Latino", in fact they take being called "Hispanic" as an insult.
This is true.

Old 03-04-2018, 03:31 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Maybe this: https://mindofahitchhiker.com/should...r-a-flowchart/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas