Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 08:58 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,372,663 times

Advertisements

It seems like a lot of people in these forums like talking of countries in terms of biological taxonomy. Members of a country belongs in a single well-defined species, and a bunch of countries can be grouped in a well-defined clade where all of them are more related to each other than any other country belonging in a different clade… but it doesn’t work this way. There are a lot of clines among countries and inside every one of them.
Urban middle classes from both Mexico and Portugal are likely to have more in common to each other than with some rural/poorer people from their own countries. Italy may have very little in common with Paraguay, but many common traits with Argentina, which at the same time will also share its own traits with Paraguay, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
I always flush the toilet paper...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 11:23 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post

I always flush the toilet paper...

Is that what this forum has come to?

Old 03-05-2018, 01:31 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
Chile, Argentina, and Uruguay all have decent public systems, so yes you can flush the toilet paper lol. In Chile you can even drink the water (not sure about Arg or Uruguay since I spent only a few weeks there)

Old 03-18-2018, 10:42 AM

8 posts, read 4,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
Portugal is a European country, with a European culture. This may sound like stating the obvious but when people don't know what they're talking about, they shouldn't assume. I always say it's better to be ignorant than to believe false things. No salsa, no tacos/burritos, mariachis, no virgin of guadalupe, no Indians there. Latin American culture looks exotic to Portuguese's eyes, because whether Latinos like to admit it or not, their culture has lots of indigenous and African influences. A Portuguese individual is a lot closer culturally and ethnically to a French, an Italian, a Swiss or a Belgian than they will ever be a Mexican or a Guatemalan, because they are closer geographically. Some Hispanics like yourself love to claim Portuguese and Spaniards as "their" people. But it is only one sided love. I've never heard a Portuguese person claiming being "Hispanic"or "Latino", in fact they take being called "Hispanic" as an insult.
This is funny because Portugal only exists to be a British puppet buffer state against Spain. Also, a belgium and a swiss would laugh at your claims to be «ethnically closer» to them.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:39 AM

630 posts, read 526,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHuKiTi View Post
This is funny because Portugal only exists to be a British puppet buffer state against Spain. Also, a belgium and a swiss would laugh at your claims to be «ethnically closer» to them.
This topic must be very sensitive for you to create a brand account hoping it would make your point more consistent.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
This topic must be very sensitive for you to create a brand account hoping it would make your point more consistent.
I created this account before I have reached this thread... not that it would be relevant anyways.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:11 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHuKiTi View Post
At least make an effort to type something factual.

Regarding being ethnically closer to the Belgians and other Europeans vs Latin Americans it's a fact deal with it. Here's my Gedmatch K23b Oracle single population estimates Belgium just so happens to be near the top of my list utilizing this particular calculator. I don't see any Latin American populations list BTW do you?
Attached Thumbnails
Why do people assume Latin America is all the same?-mdlp-k23b-oracle-single-population.png  

Old 03-19-2018, 12:58 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
A basic google search will tell you that Portuguese, Brazilians are not hispanics, they are Latino, and i haven't seen anyone trying to merge Brazilians with Hispanics, there are not enough Brazilians in the US for that to matter at all. if they are going to get dragged into, it will be by white Americans as its hard for them to know the difference.

Your opinion about weather Brazilians are seen collectively as part the Hispanic community is irrelevant as you personal preferences have no impact. Brazilians are Latino and culturally very similar to Hispanics, so bonding them together is fair.

Trying to deny that Hispanics and Brazilians share a common culture from music, religion, football, ect ect, is just plain ignorant, and i think you just want to weasel your self out by not wanting your "culture" to be associated with a culture that is just like your own (if not the same), just because you dont want to deal with the "stigma" that you think being Hispanic brings. But I have something to tell you, Brazilians are Latino weather you lake it or not.
French is also a Latin base language notice how people often forget or not include Haiti, wonder why?

The term "Latino" is an American popularize term, people in latin American don't use the term "Latino" or collectively see them self that way. The Latino identity only exist and was created in the US.

Latin American countries cultures are very different with very different history and demographics. Not only do have different dynamic of country having more or less different native and African cultures influences depending what country your in. But just as the US and Canada from 1830 to 1940 there was massive number German, French, Italians, Irish, Scandinavian, Eastern European and etc immigrate to Latin America with more or less influences depending what country your in.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:07 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
"You'd be surprised. They're all individual countries."-- Ronald Reagan

The American people elected a men to be president, who before his state visit Laltin America, thought they wee all the same.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.0e92eafac7c3

Old 03-19-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
At least make an effort to type something factual.

Regarding being ethnically closer to the Belgians and other Europeans vs Latin Americans it's a fact deal with it. Here's my Gedmatch K23b Oracle single population estimates Belgium just so happens to be near the top of my list utilizing this particular calculator. I don't see any Latin American populations list BTW do you?
You don't see any «latin american» because there's no latin american genetics per se, Americans are europeans mixed to a greater or lesser extent to native americans and/or african individuals... I can post my Family Tree results here, and guess what... 85% european, not just any european, but hispanic south/west european.

As you say, your germanic love is only a one way love, because they don't share it with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas